Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W), 765 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I'd like to invite my friends on this Forum to follow along on the construction of pipeline pond, a high performance predator pond.

Features of this pond which make it unique to me are:

1) huge areas of underwater channels with bumps and rises and underwater islands
2) completely fly fishing friendly
3) a 170 linear foot set of walkways and piers located right over the prime predator waters with the channels and islands
4) an attached grow out pond with easy to manage gates into the main pond to be used for adding size to small fish such as Tilapia and Pacu prior to release on the main pond
5) feeding stations located along the 170 foot walkway
6) tremendous amounts of old stumps/brush structure added and still to be added.

If interested, go to my web site and select "ponds" and then "pipeleine" and read the story.

Current status is the pond dam is complete, about 50% of the structure is in place, walkways/piers about 85% complete, lime added but not completely spread yet, starting the grow out pond tomorrow. Stocking the main pond will begin in another month or so. Enjoy.

My thanks to Joe and Derrick Adams, Adams Land Improvement for helping build the most outstanding pond I have ever seen.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I just checked the site. Those piers are an engineering marvel. I've always wondered when somebody was going to try something like that. What would you have done if that rain came one week earlier. \:o Seems like a really exciting project.

Last edited by Bruce Condello; 11/19/07 08:26 PM. Reason: I composed a post before I looked at the website.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Looks awesome Meadowlark. You have to get some pictures of the growout pond and the gates. I would like to do something like that when I build my pond.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Looks like someone's been busy!

Fascinating project ML. I'll be watching with great interest!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice project ML. With all the shade the pier will provide it will be the biggest structure/cover on the lake.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ya know, we don't hear too much from our old pal Meadowlark. Then BAM; he shows up like Santa Claus with a pond full of goodies for all the girls and boys. This is gonna be cooler than the Lionel train set, 1/32 scale race track, and Erector Set...all rolled into one.
-
ML...you already know that I'm interested in the pond dimensional stat's. The pics can be deceiving, but I'm guessing you're pushing 4 or 5 acres...? The pics with the young'uns gives the impression of some pretty deep spots. Give it up; whassup?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nice Meadowlark! I look forward to updates! And awesome website! I have a 70 foot pier on my biggest pond that is only 150 feet across. A pier really makes a difference for fishing.

Phil's just jealous. \:D

BTW Phil this ain't no aquaculture website. We're here to have fun not lose money. ;\)

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Phil in MI
It's not sustainable aquaculture, so I don't see why you are emitting saliva over a few bass, or structure in a pond.

Could it be true, that Jimmy Kimmle has infiltrated the minds of every person and created a shutdown of everything that is real and worthy???

Phil, this site is not remotely about aquaculture. You might try Aquanic.com if that's your interest.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
That's a lot of posts! Nice project ML, I can't wait to see the forage pond and gates.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Awesome pier, ML. Nice pond, too. I'm with Brettski, I want size info on the pond. And how you put all those posts in.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A while back we had some guests who said that we were living their dream. Meadowlark seems to be living my dream. Thanks for the posts.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Looks really, really good. Nice work, ML!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Yes, all, I've been pretty busy....sun-up to sun-down for many consecutive days now. I certainly would have preferred to have built this pond in the summer and take my time finishing it, but we don't always get our own schedule so I'm doing my best to make the best of it...besides it is a labor of pure love for me...few things are more staisfying than to sit back and look at a pier like that you built yourself.

One point of order regarding the grow out pond...it is a grow out pond, not a forage pond. There is a big difference in my mind. For me, a forage pond is very inefficient poor use of resources, but an attached grow out pond can really add functionality and value to my kind of pond management. I can buy the first Tilapia of the year and put them in the grow out pond to get to a size to protect them from predators. I can grow Pacu, for example right out of the PetSmart store aquarium until they become predator proof (which isn't long at all). Plus many other uses for the grow out pond I won't bore you with now.

Size, does it really matter? There is a story here....we started out over 18 months ago staking out the area and I wanted 2 to 3 acres, but 2 acres minimum. The preliminary results from Joe and Derrick were two affordable acres of water. Time went by and the pipeline forced somewhat of a move of the original staking. The new staking accomplished just weeks ago showed 1.4 acres of water. Joe and I talked about it considerably and I decided to raise the dam specs by two feet giving me an unknown amount of acreage, but certainly greater than 1.4 acres. Then the pond started to take shape...it looked huge, really large. The depth has to be well over 15 feet in places.

Size doesn't matter right? Well I got to thinking, the pond was specked out to 3 feet of freeboard and in my experience 2 feet is plenty. Plus Joe and Derrick trenched this thing and it was solid clay front to back on the 3 to 1, solid clay. So, I asked Joe and Derrick to cut the spillways at 2 feet of freeboard instead of three effectively raising the dam another foot. That's when I got a grow out pond as a bonus(but thats another story).

Bottom line, I honestly don't know how large or small it is and neither do Joe and Derrick. They are going to come back and GPS it in the near future...lets just say, it looks big compared to my 4 acre pond, but I know it isn't that big and most likely just over two acres. Some data...over 600 feet of dam, 3 to 1 slope, over 8000 cu yards of clay, two natural spillways, no pipes whatsoever, just solid, rock solid clay.

I'll try to post grow out pond pictures on my web site as it evolves. It will be a unique design all of my own creation. If I can get the injector pump back on my dozer, get it running, and rains allow, I should be able to build it in another couple of weeks.

What if I hadn't got the posts set, Bruce asked, there would have been no pier, no fly fishing walkways right over the predators prime locations. We got 4 inches of rain the very night after I set the 44 posts and the pond came up over four feet overnight. It rained so hard it scared my wife, but I didn't even hear it cause I was setting posts in my sleep...3600 pounds of concrete one 40 pound bag at a time...a labor of love.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
ML, sounds great. I really enjoy reading about this. Can't wait for more pictures. Good luck. Concerning the Pacu, how long does it take to grow them from PetSmart purchase to 6-8" or whatever size is predator-proof?

Just do it...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ML have you thought about what goes under the pier such as cross pieces , xmas trees , oak limbs , pvc structures or stumps etc. The reason I ask is some piers are much more productive than others. I have seen people give their opinions but don't really have a good grip on what works better. I do know that LMB and large BG love to stay under them in the shade in the warm months. On our lakes the piers that have more than just straight posts seem to hold more fish. I don't recall a discussion here on the subject.

I looked at the web page again and you have lots of different options because the pier crosses so many different water depths and structure changes. I may be wrong but the pond looks a lot bigger than 2 acres.

Last edited by ewest; 11/20/07 09:56 PM.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
ML,

I'm enjoying your progress and creativity. As always, you set the bar on what is possible and how to do it right!!!

Thanks,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
ML, sounds great. I really enjoy reading about this. Can't wait for more pictures. Good luck. Concerning the Pacu, how long does it take to grow them from PetSmart purchase to 6-8" or whatever size is predator-proof?

Rmedgar,

Thanks for your kind remarks. You simply would not believe the growth rate of Pacu. They will be predator safe well within a month of escape from PetSmart and then gain at least 1 pound per month after that. I've got one that is 9 to 10 pounds now from a spring stocking but it is just hanging on in the cool weather. Another one in my hot tub that weighed 7 pounds over a month ago. It is breath taking to look into a hot tub and see all those teeth looking back at you!!! Visit my web site for continuing pictures. I'll start on my grow out pond just after Thanksgiving. Thanks.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: ewest
ML have you thought about what goes under the pier such as cross pieces , xmas trees , oak limbs , pvc structures or stumps etc.

Yes, I have. I've recently added extensive X bracing to the structure but have some more yet to add. These numerous bracing boards set up in "X" shape create an almost unending maze of structure under the piers and walkways. No additonal structure under there is needed. My thanks to Eddie Walker and Tim Stuart for the tips on "X" bracing which have added rigidity to the structure as well as great fish hiding places. Thanks.

Last edited by Meadowlark; 11/21/07 07:54 PM.
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
Looks awesome Meadowlark. You have to get some pictures of the growout pond and the gates. I would like to do something like that when I build my pond.

Chris,

I'd encourage you to check my web site every once in awhile for updates on the progress of the grow out pond. It will be about 1/10 of an acre shaped like a triangle with a base of 80 feet and equal sides of 120 feet. I have posted a picture of it with a view from the base on my web site. Work starts on it after Thanksgiving. Thanks for your interest.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: eddie_walker
ML,

I'm enjoying your progress and creativity. As always, you set the bar on what is possible and how to do it right!!!

Thanks,
Eddie

Eddie,

When it comes to turning ideas into reality....you are the best!! My respect for you is off the scale high. I look forward to discussing your thoughts on construction of underwater gates and fences for the Pipeline grow out pond. Thanks.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Awesome pier, ML. ...And how you put all those posts in.

One post at a time, two sacks of 40 pound concrete, and a lifetime supply of Advil!!!

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Ahhhhh. Drilling and filling, God willing.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...Meadowlark slips back into his high school football jersey; the one he wore on the Friday night he QB'd us to state.
 Quote:
We got 4 inches of rain the very night after I set the 44 posts and the pond came up over four feet overnight. It rained so hard it scared my wife, but I didn't even hear it cause I was setting posts in my sleep...3600 pounds of concrete one 40 pound bag at a time...a labor of love.

-
Yeah, dem pondmeister guysez are some tuff buggers, eh?
-
I'm starting to recognize the common disease that we share. I know that I am not alone in this asylum of hump-bustin' dedication. When I was just kickin' into high gear after pond excavation, we were drillin' and filling'...and I'm not talkin' Condello style. I got the following response from Meadowlark on that thread:
 Quote:
Brettski,

Yeah, my back started aching when I saw those pictures. I can imagine how yours must have felt.

...no more imagination required, me thinks...now YOU da man

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Great looking project there ML!

Last edited by ewest; 11/22/07 08:52 AM.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T

Yeah, dem pondmeister guysez are some tuff buggers, eh?
-
I'm starting to recognize the common disease that we share. I know that I am not alone in this asylum of hump-bustin' dedication. When I was just kickin' into high gear after pond excavation, we were drillin' and filling'...and I'm not talkin' Condello style. I got the following response from Meadowlark on that thread: [quote] Brettski,

Beaver Blood at its best!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images