Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#101437 11/06/07 07:50 PM
H
heybud Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Not a pond question but I need TV at Zephyr Pond and was wondering what is the consensus on either Direct TV or Dish TV? Which do you guys like?

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Heybud...
We have had directTV in our principal home for 11 years. It has served us well, but escalating service costs are like death, taxes, and cable rates. I doubt that DishTV is much different. I think the scale tipper will be who has the best introductory promotion.
-
A little hint; you didn't hear it here.
If you have DirectTV (and likely DishTV also) at your principal home, you pay the normal rate for whatever programming package you want.
You go to Ebay or shop the Big-box electronic stores and buy another receiver and dish that is compatible with the service you use at home. You hook it up at home like it is going to be a separate box in another bedroom (no second dish required....yet), call your dish service provider, and have them fire up the 2nd receiver as a second receiver on the same basic dish system already installed. They charge another $5 a month for this second receiver. Then, unhook it, take it to wherever you want it installed. You install the second dish and hook up this newly fired second receiver and you now have another system for $5 a month. The only drawback is that you will not be able to order movies because it would go thru a phone line that is not registered.
-
I have never done this before...it is just something that I have heard.

H
heybud Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
cool

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Lunker
Lunker
heck I got 2 extra direct tv recievers just sitting around here if ya want em

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The Federal Bureau of Investigation knows all, sees all. It is a crime(punishable by up to 10 yrs. in the Federal Penitentary), yes, I know, sex predators get only probation, ; to tamper, tweek, adjust, tune, or otherwise deface or abuse DirecTV appliances. BTW...I DO have my commercial FCC radio license. But I ain't cheap. (Big Grin)

Lunker
Lunker
I am just sure Brettski knows somebody who has a coat with rubber pockets for stealing soup.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Brettski - If you order the movie(s) on your computer they will be available on all your receivers where ever they may be. You didn’t hear that from me. \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
cool
-
-
...anybody up for Minnestrone?

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I am happy with Dish Network, but hear Direct has more HD channels.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Heybud we have had both. We are currently on dish net. We changed from DTV when we upgraded to HD TV and a bundle package with inet and phone together. I like the features of dish net better than DTV. We also have DVO (a must have) in our dishnet box. We can also run 2 separate TV's on different channels from the same unit. I don't think DTV offers this.

Now that was the good news. Bad news is our signal drops out on a regular basis with dish net. Very fustrating at times. We never had this problem with DTV. I believe it is because we live in a low area surrounded by trees and hills. The dish net antenna has to be pointed low just above the horizon were as DTV is pointed at about a 45 deg angle above horizontal. This is probably why we have the drop out issues with dish net. either one beats the hack out of rabbit ears.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've had both, and currently have DirecTV.

I thought the service and signal were very similar for the two companies.

I've had problems with service interruption during rainstorms.

Remember that if your box goes out they will ALWAYS blame it on a lightning strike. Even if there was no bad weather in the area.

If your box goes out on one they will try to charge you 100 bucks to come out and repair it. Just tell them you want to be transferred to the business offices so you can cancel your service because the other company is currently offering incentives. This will prompt them to repair your system for free.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
All I can say is I sure wish they would let you pick your channels vs. those ripoff package deals. I sure don't need the shopper channels, tv evangelists, cartoons or infomercials! And it sure must be profitable to charge for the service, also get income from the commericials, and on top of that get paid by the products that put on the infomerical commericals during nonpeak viewer time!

Used to have a big dish that allowed me to pay for as few or as many channels as I wanted at about $2.00 per channel per month. Of course that is a thing of the past due to the changes and I gave it away for scrap metal just to get rid of it!

Hey guys really I'm not a negative guy! \:\) You just hit another one of my pet peeves. \:\)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/07/07 12:47 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
We have the same issue up here with Bell and Starchoice, although they are allowing you to buy SOME channels outside of packages, but that tuns $4.99 a channel I think. Which given the current exchange rate is like $5.43 USD. (Had to get that dig in there... first time we are above the US dollar in my lifetime)

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I had Direct for about 8 years but switched several months ago to Dish after Direct failed to deliver more than 10 HD channels for over a year. Now I think Direct has more HD but the cheaper Dish packages have more channels I watch. Dish also gave the HD DVR for free where Direct wanted around $500 extra. Dish's HD box also allows hookup to two tvs watching two channels at once, handy for Picture in pic too and the box downgrades HD channels for viewing on non HD tvs.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Cecil the Peeved,

Quote:
Used to have a big dish that allowed me to pay for as few or as many channels as I wanted at about $2.00 per channel per month. Of course that is a thing of the past due to the changes and I gave it away for scrap metal just to get rid of it!

You forgot to mention that large dish and receiver cost you a couple grand to get those $2 channels. My Large dish went to structure in the pond. The fish love it and it is easy to see on my depth finder! \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
Cecil the Peeved,

Quote:

You forgot to mention that large dish and receiver cost you a couple grand to get those $2 channels. My Large dish went to structure in the pond. The fish love it and it is easy to see on my depth finder! \:\)

Actually it was 3 grand but it was a one shot deal. I can assure you your monthly fees are paying for your new dish and much, much, more!

Sometime back congress was supposed to look into this. Apparently with the back and forth "I gotta" partisan political games and all the lobbyists it's probably history.

I could have put mine in the pond for structure too but it makes it difficult if I want to seine the pond. \:\)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/12/07 10:20 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Out in the woods. I only get one channel, so I am watching Dancing with the stars. (gimme a dozen Jennies to go) Got a Black Bear coming close at night so we will see what happens with that. --- I have "Zero" signal through my wireless provider, but blows dial up all over the place. I went to the shop today and got two bars and a weak third. Hit 1.56mbx324kb. The repeater, hopefully should pop 5 bars continuous, so the wireless network should work. --- TV may be in the future.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Phil in MI
Out in the woods. I only get one channel, so I am watching Dancing with the stars. (gimme a dozen Jennies to go) Got a Black Bear coming close at night so we will see what happens with that. --- I have "Zero" signal through my wireless provider, but blows dial up all over the place. I went to the shop today and got two bars and a weak third. Hit 1.56mbx324kb. The repeater, hopefully should pop 5 bars continuous, so the wireless network should work. --- TV may be in the future.

What gives Phil? Get evicted or something? I thought camping was in the summer? \:D \:D \:D

Lunker
Lunker
IME "Dancing with the Stars" is on every broadcast channel, every night.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Originally Posted By: Phil in MI

What gives Phil? Get evicted or something? I thought camping was in the summer? \:D \:D \:D

I am selling the place in Fruitport next spring and need to get everything cleared up here so I can start construction. Ya could say I evicted myself, besides, I haven't been on a vacation for at least 22 years. Deer hunting opens tomorrow and every year I miss it because someone has a hot project that needs to be done, then you have to wait months to get paid. Not this year!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM