Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,787
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dave Davidson1, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Bucyrus22B, Rangersedge, JPierson, MidwestCass, catscratch), 1,057 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100560 10/26/07 11:00 PM
n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I need some advice from anybody who knows anything about raising rainbow trout.

I struck a deal with a seafood business in central illinois that has 3 ponds that are fed by a series of springs. (not the typical illinois springs either, im talking about thousands of gallons of water pouring in and out every day)

The water shoots out of about 50 2" diameter pipes that are stuck in the ground in various places and is collected in a series of 4 pools about 1/10 of an acre each.

The water then goes through about 50' of culvert and shoots into the first pond (about a 1' drop into the pond) This creates a current that flows pretty good around the pond.

The first pond drains drains into the 2 other ponds, one on each side. the first pond is about 1 acre, the 2nd about 2 acres and the third about 3 acres. All ponds are 6' deep most all the way around because of retaining walls are all the way around. The bottom of the ponds are mostly rocks.

They used to operate one of the first fee fishing lakes in America starting in the 1930's. They would catch carp and catfish from the river and stock their ponds with them. They did this until about 10 years ago they shut that operation down. They haven't used the ponds for anything since then.

The pipes that shoot the water out of the ground started getting clogged up and water started seeping out of the ground in places that were not desirable, so that is how I was able to make the deal. I unclogged the pipes, overflows, and keep the lakes looking good, in return, I can do whatever I want with the ponds.

Thursday I stocked 100- 1 pound rainbow trout into the first pond. I do not know that much about raising trout. I set up a feeder with aquamax 600 and they love it. One big concern I have is the oxygen content of the water. I would love to put more trout in, but don't know if the ground water has enough oxygen. They seem to be doing fine, they fed good today and i caught 3 of them in just a few casts. Should I feed them throughout the winter? Is there anything else I should/could do for the trout? No structure at all in the pond. The owner said the first pond never freezes over. the 2nd and 3rd do freeze over. I think the trout could live year round in the first pond, it was very cold even in the summer.

All three ponds have HUGE carp and a few catfish in it. The other 2 ponds will be future projects with SMB and HSB.

Pretty much to have access to this pond setup is a dream come true, it is so Awesome.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Whoa! I don't know much about trout, but I know a cool setup when I hear about one. I'm pretty jealous. Is carp eradication an option to get existing biomass down?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
At a couple of the hatcheries I went to, the water was brought up to a certain height, than it fell back down to a flat surface. This helped breakup the water and to oxygenate it. If you can plumb the pipes to allow this you could increase the oxygen levels.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sounds to me like a D.O. check and temperature checks at all depths for a full year are in order. If it was me I would want to know this. However if the trout are doing fine I see no reason to be concerned. There is a possibility your water is too cold in the other ponds for the fish you propose though. Therfore the reason for the study. Carp will do O.K. in cold water believe it or not. They just don't grow as fast.

Any piers present? If not, anyway you could install a section of pier to make it easy to take D.O. and temp readings?

In the pond where the water stays open in winter I would feed the trout, but only once a day or every few days. I have trout in a pond that freezes over and I don't feed them all winter with no problems.

If you want brown trout there is a supplier in Wisconsin I can hook you up with. I believe they supply someone in Illinois.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil, you are up pretty early for a saturday morning.
The first 100 trout were an experiment to see if they live. I would love to check and monitor the D.O. and temps often. What instruments would be good, yet easy to use, and where can I buy them? I have a fish farm test kit, but it is not very user friendly. I can handle the temps, what is the best way for the D.O.?

I would absolutely love some brown trout. Also some more rainbows. I paid $3.12 each for the 12-14" rainbow trout, is that a good price? (actually the seafood company bought them) Instead of paying me for my labor they pay for materials.

I am moving the carp to the 3rd pond. What is the best way to catch them over the winter? Bowfishing would be an easy way to eradicate, but they like carp.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nate, do you have the option to temporarily dewater the pond with carp in it?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nope, I just put the rainbow trout in on thursday.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nate,

Seven Pines Fisheries is a good place to work with for brown and rainbow trout. They are located in northwest Wisconsin (Frederick). I know they deliever to Illinois, but if you can haul fish you could pick up, or meet them for pick up. They are also a disease free certified hatchery. Here is their website:

http://www.sevenpinesfishery.com/

Ruby Ketula owner of Seven Pines is a treasure to work with! A real sweetheart!

Another source one state over is Crystal Springs Farms in N. Muskegeon, Michigan. They have brooks, browns, rainbows, and golden rainbow.

Here is the owner John Nelski's contact info:

231-719-0335
1-800-378-2490
2043 N.Green Creek Rd
N. Muskegon, MI 49445

The Red Cliff Tribal Hatchery in Bayport, Wisconsin has Lake Nipgigon strain brook trout. Only downside is the largest fish you can get are 7 to 8 inches. If you put these in with larger other fish they may not do so well. In fact, even though my brooks are larger than this now, I am finding the even larger browns are reducing there potential. Seriously considering a blocking net to separate the species next year.

(715) 779-3728 Red Cliff Hatchery

Only female yellow perch? I would prefer that myself. Used to have a supplier in Ohio that supplied me with mostly female yellow perch of about 10 inches for only $1.50 each. The females grow the fastest and get the largest, and a small pond can easily overpopulate with yellow perch if you're not careful.

My smallmouth source only sells feed trained smallmouth in the fall. They are 5 to 6 inches. I put them in a cage that fall and most of the next year before release and feed them pellets.

It's Laggis Fish Farms Gobles, Michigan (southwest Michigan) He requires a deposit and his supply is limited. Best smallmouth I've purchased that stay on pellets.

Laggis Fish Farm Incorporated, 8988 35th St, Gobles, MI. Tel: 269-628-2056.

Note: He may go to Florida in the winter. I heard he loves the keys. \:\)

Yes, I've had great dealings with Mike Robinson of Keystone hatcheries. All the fish I've purchased from Mike were Grade A1! Unforuntately he's a a good 4 hour drive and I've found closer suppliers. $3.14 per 12 to 14 inch trout is a competitive price.

Sorry to hear you've had disagreeable suppliers. I've found some are paranoid of competition. Maybe that's what you ran into? Honestly I don't know how some of them make a living. That is the ones that bite your head off for asking questions, or Bob Hesterman of Ridgeview Fin Farm in Ohio, that had me drive 5 hours round trip for no fish and refused to tell me why he wouldn't sell to me. &^%$#@

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/27/07 10:13 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the list, I wish they all had websites and email addresses.

Have you dealt with the tiger trout pictured on 7 pines website?

I sent Cecil a PM about fish suppliers and such, he posted them for everyone. I would just like everyone to know that I greatly appreciate all the help and advice I have received from PBoss. You guys have saved me YEARS of researching and experimenting.

THANKS

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
Thanks for the list, I wish they all had websites and email addresses.

Have you dealt with the tiger trout pictured on 7 pines website?

I sent Cecil a PM about fish suppliers and such, he posted them for everyone. I would just like everyone to know that I greatly appreciate all the help and advice I have received from PBoss. You guys have saved me YEARS of researching and experimenting.

THANKS

No, never got any tigers from Seven Pines. I don't believe Seven Pines sells any tigers since they don't have any brook trout to cross with their browns. They did raise brooks years ago, but they don't anymore due to concerns about disease and don't want to take the chance of contaminating their browns. (Brooks are notorious for being carriers for IPN and it's hard to find a source that tests negative for it. Fortunately the two sources I listed do not have a problem with it.

Not sure why the pic of the tiger is on the site. Probably just to make it more interesting.

Back to disease issues. It may be possible to get trout that are not certified disease free. I would strongly urge you to stick with disease free certified fish! It will save you a lot of heartache! Most of Wisconsin's brook trout sources test postive for IPN.

P
Fingerling
Fingerling
P
Dixon's? I caught carp there as a kid in the 60's.

Dang Joe Dirt!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
One more thing. Seven Pines doesn't really check their email if they still have one. You're better off calling.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil,
You are right about the email, I was planning on calling them on Thursday.

Peoria Possom,
Dixons is the place. Just about every person in the peoria area has been fishing there at some point in their life. The setup that is there is amazing.

The trout are doing awesome. They eat really good, and they are very aggressive.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: n8ly

The trout are doing awesome. They eat really good, and they are very aggressive.

This time of year the trout feed well can grow well.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM