Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,139
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
10 members (RAH, ewest, Theo Gallus, TEC, LeighAnn, Sunil, Brian from Texas, esshup, Boondoggle, Jason D), 1,171 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
http://www.koco.com/news/13992895/detail.html I watched the video and don't really see how a man his size fit through a 12" pipe.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dang, Okies are tough. I don't understand. His shoulders are more than 12 inches wide.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
"Kennon said he thought about his girlfriend, her son, his favorite players on the Oklahoma Sooners football team and his father, who a summer ago had been diagnosed with Stage 4 terminal cancer."

1.girlfriend

2.her son

3.favorite football players

4.terminally ill father

Is it just me or is there something funny about his list?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
No, they're all loved ones. They were Sooners players, after all.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Newton's second law: law of acceleration

Lex II: Mutationem motus proportionalem esse vi motrici impressae, et fieri secundum lineam rectam qua vis illa imprimitur.

The rate of change of momentum of a body is proportional to the resultant force acting on the body and is in the same direction.

In Motte's 1729 translation (from Newton's Latin), the Second Law of Motion reads:

LAW II: The alteration of motion is ever proportional to the motive force impressed; and is made in the direction of the right line in which that force is impressed. — If a force generates a motion, a double force will generate double the motion, a triple force triple the motion, whether that force be impressed altogether and at once, or gradually and successively. And this motion (being always directed the same way with the generating force), if the body moved before, is added to or subtracted from the former motion, according as they directly conspire with or are directly contrary to each other; or obliquely joined, when they are oblique, so as to produce a new motion compounded from the determination of both.

The product of the mass and velocity is the momentum of the object (which Newton himself called "quantity of motion"). The use of algebraic expressions became popular during the 18th Century, after Newton's death, while vector notation dates to the late 19th Century. The Principia expresses mathematical theorems in words and consistently uses geometrical rather than algebraic proofs.

A verbal equivalent of this is "the acceleration of an object is proportional to the force applied, and inversely proportional to the mass of the object". If m is dependent on velocity (and thus indirectly upon time) as we now know it is (for high velocities—see special relativity), then m has to be included in the derivative, as above.

Note that force will depend on speed of the moving body, acceleration and its rest mass. However, when the speed of the moving body is much lower than the speed of light, the equation that was shown above will be reduced .

Contrary to what is sometime claimed in elementary texts, mass must always be taken as constant in classical mechanics. So-called variable mass systems like a rocket can not be directly treated by making mass a function of time in the second law. The reasoning, given in An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow and other modern texts, is excerpted here:

Newton's second law applies fundamentally to particles. In classical mechanics, particles by definition have constant mass. In case of well-defined systems of particles, Newton's law can be extended by integrating over all the particles in the system. In this case we have to refer all vectors to the center of mass. Applying the second law to extended objects implicitly assumes the object to be a well-defined collection of particles. However, 'variable mass' systems like a rocket or a leaking bucket do not consist of a set number of particles. They are not well-defined systems. Therefore Newton's second law can not be applied to them directly. The naive application of F = dp/dt will usually result in wrong answers in such cases. However, applying the conservation of momentum to a complete system (such as rocket+fuel, or bucket+leaked water) will give unambiguously correct answers.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Plus ca change, plus ce la meme chose

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If my father weren't feeling well, I would contemplate his situation way before I'd think about my favoriate ex-Sooners....

Oh yeah, I don't have any favorite ex-Sooners.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Eric. Huh?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
easily explained....
folded under pressure

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
No Brettski, this guy was actually the one kid actor from the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory who got sucked up into the clear pipe. He's been getting sucked into culverts & piping ever since.

Type-casting for child actors is a sad thing.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dave --Net force equals mass times acceleration. \:o Theo is right he folded up. If he did not he would have been crushed.

STAY AWAY FROM SIPHONS WHEN IN USE !!! IF THAT HAD BEEN AN 8IN HE WOULD BE DEAD . EVEN A 3 IN CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH. THERE IS A LOT OF FORCE VIA MASS OF PERSON AND WATER AND A WHOLE LOT OF ACCELERATION.

Last edited by ewest; 08/29/07 03:59 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lemee see. If I could get a 24 inch pipe and hustle up some rain, I could sell tickets to the ride.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
DD1, I would prefer a pipe more like the one in the story. I want to know how a bullet feels.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I can guarentee you there would be NO way any force could fit my Large but muscular ;\) \:D body through a 12 inch pipe!!!! I would be like the typical raccoon in the drain pipe that you find the next spring!!! \:D

Last edited by Eric; 08/30/07 07:07 AM.

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Upstate NY man tests theory of "net force equals mass times acceleration" with family pet; PETA sabres rattle
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What are you trying to tell us, _dup1? ;\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
\:D All I can say is there would never be anyway you could get my body through a 12 inch pipe no matter how high the pressure is! \:D

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:25 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:21 AM
How much feed?
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:20 AM
Northern Midwesterner thinking of Tilapia
by esshup - 05/02/24 09:20 AM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by esshup - 05/02/24 09:16 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by DrewSh - 05/02/24 07:45 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FireIsHot - 05/02/24 07:28 AM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:10 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:00 PM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:48 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!