Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure), 694 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
+1 on Larry's info request. I too would like to hear about this process for a future project.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
+1 on Larry's info request. I too would like to hear about this process for a future project.

...1/2 way down page 1

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Here is what the deck ended up looking like. I chose stone instead of wood due to it is longer lasting and lacks most maintenance.The fire pit is still not completed.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
James is the King of Human Habitat. This place continues to set new levels of OTT.
...new levels of awesome, too!
MORE PICS !!

(edit)
the cool stainless steel grill looks to be able to hold 2-wide CSBG's...maybe x 2 deep
that's a big grill

Last edited by Brettski; 01/02/09 10:23 PM.
Lunker
Lunker
The cooler with the Diet Mountain Dew goes just to the right of the double doors into the kitchen.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Larry, I have used Cedar posts on my cabin project. The original cabin was put up 4 years ago and I did nothing to the posts to debark them. It took about 2 years in Missouri climate till it really came free and was easy to peel.

On the cbain addition I addes 4 more posts as I expanded the deck area. I have not peeled these either and will let mother nature do the work.

In my bathroom I built a bathroom vanity (no pics yet) out of a slab of 3 inch thick white cedar 36 inches by 24 inches and mounted that on a cleat on the wall and used two cedar logs for the front legs and a small cross bar of cedar for a towel rack. These I did peel. The legs are approx 28 inches long...thats 56 inches total of cedar log about 5 inch diameter. In my shop, with pliers, scrapers, a belt sander, a Random orbit sander, and chisels it only took....3 FREAKIN HOURS!!!! (Calming back down here)...

Let mother nature do the work...also note the cedar will have a lot of itty bitty weevils in the cambium that will be all over inside the house if you dont peel interior used cedar.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...speaking of which
Hey Habitatpro! How 'bout setting that outstanding project into the Pond Boss annals of cool construction projects. Please enter below.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
IIRC have seen cedar logs stipped of bark with high pressure sprayers...du

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Wow guys after looking at some of your places I have to ask...any daughters looking for a husband? haha atleast I'd have common interests with the father in-law! Seriously though nice setups guys, can't imagine growing peaches, pears and grapes on my own land. I was scraping windhield washer fluid off my car this morning that was rated to -40 C

Words have the power to both destroy and heal, when words are both true and kind they can change our world...
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
eddie_walker -

I'm curious to know how the stained hardi board is holding up now little over a year later. I really like the look of cedar, but I would prefer something lower maintenance. We're planning to build our new home this spring, and I REALLY like the look of this stuff.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Weissguy,

It's been about a year and a half since I did the stain in the Hardi for my gazebo. I just did the same thing on my deer blind, but before doing the deer blind, I looked real close at the stain on the gazebo. I cannot find any sign of it fading or flaking off. From what I can tell, it looks as good today as it did the day I applied it.

The real question is how long will it last? I don't have a clue, I've gone to the Minwax website and there isn't anything on using the Gel Stain on Hardi. It is used for other outdoor applications, like doors, but this is a total experiment that I don't have anything to go on other then wait and see.

I'm going to build a storage shed this year and do the same on it too. As far as I'm concerned, it's how I will finish everything that I build. Eventually I'm pulling off the siding on my house and redoing it in Hardi Lap Siding with the stained finished and rock trim.

Good luck,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Still in progress...I know I said Id do a post and all the appropriate pics...

soon...at a screen near you...

Back to lurking

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
As requested, I would like to add my cabin by my pond and a little back ground on how I ended up with it. I work for a rural water district and was out making a tap on the waterline and inspecting a customers tie into the system when I causally said to him that he had a really cool tree house which was about 200 feet from the road where we were at, That's when he asked me if I wanted it? I said sure do! And he says you better go look at it before you tell me you want it, I said I am telling you right now I want it! been like 2 other guys said the same thing but once they were up close they couldn't figure out how to get it down without disassemble of it. from the road it looks to be about 5 feet off the ground but once you get closer you notice that it is 10 foot in the air. SO I went and studied the lay out of how it was built, which it was built on a deck in the tree of 11' x 15' if I remember right. My modo has always been never pass up the opportunity to help somebody out, Well it was time to call in some favors. I called my wife's cousin John who happens to be a elevator man and had him come out and have a look at it. He says no problem we can get it down, I asked if it would be in one piece? he says oh you want it down intact not disassembled? I told him that I wanted to take it down whole which changed things up in his mind. He says I think we can but you will have to have a trailer wide enough to set it on and trailer it the 4.5 miles to the house. I said no problem and started fabricating a special deck on top of my brother 19' trailer. We got up a game plan in which we were going to use his very long chain host to lower it down using the trees that it was anchored too, only problem was the front of the tree house was set on poles which wouldn't allow us to lower it down safely. Key word being Safely. He was talking to a buddy of his that works at a heavy machinery place and he asked a few questions and said he had the perfect machine that he could demo for me out at the house for the weekend. I was contacted and told that the equipment was at the house already, I was expecting a forklift of sorts but was there was a huge sky lift all wheel drive auto leveling 45' boom 20k lift capacity machine. It would have handled the whole thing had I had long enough forks to reach all the way under. So we attached the chain hoist in the back and propped up the front with the boom lift and chained down the mast so it wouldn't slip off the forks and cut away the supports and lowered it down and backed the trailer underneath it and strapped it down, unfortunately I didn't get pictures of it strapped on the trailer. I had it all figured out for the road trip to the house in which we had 5 low utility lines being 1 power and a couple phone and cable lines that had to be lifted up as we passed underneath them with long 2x4's held up by my buddies on each side. You should have seen the look of people when we passed them on the road. I already had the post set in concrete and removed a couple of trees but I didn't want to take down too many as I wanted lots of cover, only through all this I thought I had it all figured out except that I didn't think about placement of the cabin on the trailer. My plan was to just back it down to the post and set it up, Oops that would put the front door facing away from the pond and that wouldn't work. So I had to drop a big oak tree. I was then able to snake my way down through the post and the tree with truck and trailer. I ended up getting the truck and trailer bound up to where I couldn't move forward or backwards without running into either the cabin or hitting trees with my truck, then one of the great work hands that had signed up for this project said unhook the trailer and use the boom lift and walah! I was out of a pinch slicker then snot, just scooped up the trailer and moved it enough to get out.Picture Time you probably seen most of the already Down on the ground finally! was a little nerve racking for a little while. Here it is after it was relocated to our place A winter shot I cant find the good indoor pictures so I will try to describe to you. first of all it is insulated and sheet rocked with hardwood floors, maple I think? with a loft with ladder on each side with light and ceiling fan in peaked ceiling with a small front and rear porch, I added a small roof over the back porch to keep the rain off the back door.Picture of the loft Front door We used the cabin for a Christmas cards the first couple years. As you can see from this picture of my family that I am truly a blessed man and thank the Lord everyday for what he has provided for me and my family.

A little snow, Please!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Very nice looking cabin and family... Thanks for sharing the whole process. Very cool!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Great story!!!! Great pictures mainly of the family.
You have created some good memories.

The most fun I ever had was moving a bridge. I still think about it today and smile.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the great story and pics, Tguy. That cabin is exactly what this thread is all about.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the pics and the story! It's amazing what the correct heavy equipment can do. I can just picture it going down the road under the power lines. It looks like it's in the perfect setting.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
The summer of 09 has been busy.

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
A few more

Using an open loop geothermal for heating and cooling.
This pipe is the discharge. I can flip it over to the other side where it's under water when it gets colder. (this pipe to elbow to gasket joint that hooks to outlet lets it rotate on outlet)

Make it look easy,
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What a great looking project, ZHK!
I want more details WRT the construction. I see icynene insulation. I see foam block concrete forms.
Spill the beans.

Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
Thanks I hope its an efficient house.
Apologies for not compressing pictures.
To say this happened rather fast would be an understatement.
On a monday my wife agreed the floor plan I had been working on would be good. So tuesday a friend introduced me to Dale Miller who builds houses and is expeirenced with foam block/concrete walls. He looks at my basic floor plan quizzes me, yes I have a road in, yes I have water and electric, yes I have the pad for the house built. So he came by for a look the next day, explains he's finishing up where there at, and that it's so muddy the people can't even get a road built in to there next project. He talked to the owner that was next in line, then on thursday told me they could start on monday!
Most of the true details I strategically approved.
Ok -- I just said yes to what the builder recommended.
He did the structure, doors windows and roof.
Logix block, 12" width, 6" of concrete inside.
2' wide footer, 1' deep. Then start up with the block.
Having the block start well below the floor keeps the frost from penetrating through a foundation and under the floor.
5-6" concrete floor.
My closet is the scaredy room, concrete walls and roof. Steel door.
Some drain tiles under floor, drain tiles all the way around foundation.
No windows over 3' wide, up to that can just be blocked out with plastic forms that become part of the structure to bolt windows and doors to.
They had a bracing system that they screwed to the floor then anchored to the wall. this system also supported a catwalk.
On windows, shingles, doors, and garage doors he recommended specific brands that "Have been in some of our houses about 25 years and haven't had any trouble".
Brettski I believe you know more about the roof insulation than I do. It was applied to the underside of the roof 6"+ thick. Where the walls and roof meet they were very careful to seal it well. The logic behind this is that its easier to insulate against the outdoor temperature than the heat build up inside a normal attic. Add to this that the house is sealed up like a cooler.
The outside is Nova brick.
2500 sq ft living plus roughly 200 sq ft of wall counted by the appraiser as living area because they measure the outside of the 12" thick walls.

Make it look easy,
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Absolutely awesome. Living in the Coleman house and cooling it on the hottest summer days with a couple of blue ice packs. You can kiss the utility company bills goodbye.
Love the "scaredy room"....wish I had one.
 Quote:
the roof insulation than I do. It was applied to the underside of the roof 6"+ thick. Where the walls and roof meet they were very careful to seal it well. The logic behind this is that its easier to insulate against the outdoor temperature than the heat build up inside a normal attic.

The "envelope" theory. I am still considering the same for our little pond house; TBD. Greg Grimes (or should I say his General Contractor, Wendy) re-did their house with polyisoanurate (sp?) ie; icynene foam insulation. It's a go-er.
-
I want more pics, man. This is really unique construction and we need to see more details on the facets that we don't often see.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Also, it looks like they used the Advantech roof sheathing with the seam tape. Correct?

Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
The contractor paid for some of the material, so I don't have a receipt to look back on except his, and on his receipt he calls it Zip Roof.
It was supposed to be waterproof for 90 days after it was installed and taped. They used air to clean all the seams before taping. Contractor had seen some on a roof longer than the 90 days without any problems. Another advantage was they didn't have to use tar paper with it.

About all I really know about the foam insulation was that it's biodegradable and non toxic.
The insulating contractor worked around the outsides first without the ceiling sheetrocked. This gave him easy access to where the biggest loss of air was possible, where the ceiling and wall join. After working the edges up to where they were high enough to get to in the attic, the ceiling sheet rock went up. This was so he didn't have to worry as much about splatter and dripping.

The wall between the garage and house is fully insulated from floor to roof. Masonite was used as backing in the attic from the ceiling to the roof there and around the porch above the main walls.
Went ahead and fully insulated garage roof, especially since the walls all around it were the foam block. Unless we leave open a garage door they expect the garage to stay around 45 degrees. Hope so as I put a sink in the garage.
Did you notice the truss rafters were on 16" centers and hurricane strapped down?
I also had them use anchored porch posts. Figured the porch overhang would be where the wind would get under the roof at, so it's anchored with the posts also.

Make it look easy,
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Well here is what my wife and I did, all we had done was concrete and roof, the rest is all sweat equity, the pond will be located at left of picture.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass