Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,122
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,562
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
12 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, anthropic, TEC, catscratch, Treebanger, Bill Cody, Pat Williamson, SetterGuy, bmo, JoshMI, Sunil), 1,115 guests, and 229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by james holt:
I turned them loose in the upper part of the pond where there isn't a feeder and the number of predators is much lower.
This post from fellow pond meister James Holt regarding the stocking of his newly acquired coppernose bluegill has compelled me to clear my conscious and reveal a horrible truth.

Reader, I warn you in advance that this post is disturbing. If you choose to continue reading then life as you know it may never be the same. Flowers will not smell as sweet nor appear as beautiful. The song of bird may no longer sound marvelous and innocent. Reader, I implore you not to continue reading this disturbing story. Close this thread, move to another section of the forum. Preserve the innocence that still resides within you. Heed my warning look elsewhere for knowledge and inspiration.

The telling of this story brings back horrible memories that haunt me to this day. I've never told this story for fear of upsetting my friend and fellow Pond Boss forum member Dave In El Dorado (DIED). But I can't hold this terrible secret in my head any longer, my conscious is heavy. One last plea Reader, turn back, it’s not too late, some things need not be experienced, some truths need not be known.

It all started one bright sunny day with a trip to DIED's place. DIED had generously offered to give me some Gambusia (Gams) to release in my pond. After carefully netting some Gams and returning to our property my wife and I surveyed the pond for a quiet predator free place to release our innocent, blissful little fish. We found a serene corner of the pond. The setting was perfect, calm clear water, a nice shady location. A brilliant blue song bird lit on my shoulder and sang us a beautiful melody. I could tell that our Gams were going to live a wonderful life in our pond. So I lowered the bucket to the ponds surface and gently poured my new found friends into their new home.

The 70 or so Gams formed a nice little school and began merrily swimming out toward the center of the pond. My wife and I were marveling at our cute little Gams and how happy they looked. Many of the Gams actually appeared to be smiling as they swam away. We praised DIED for his generosity and his role in our very first pond stocking event.

And that's when it all went so horribly wrong. Out of the depths rocketed six or seven juvenile bass. The surface of the water suddenly exploded with angry activity. Our jaws collectively dropped as we observed the carnage. Innocent Gams were leaping from the water in an attempt to escape the hungry mob of bass. Six or seven Gams were immediately consumed in the melee. The poor Gams were swallowed whole before they ever knew of any threat of danger. The school of Gams became divided into two small schools. One school attempted to swim to deeper water while the other swam along the shallow shore line and headed for cover. The school that attempted to escape into deeper water was subjected to repeated attacks. In twos and threes the Gams were disappearing. The school received devastating losses. The second school that had headed for cover now cowered in the shallow vegetation. They were obviously traumatized by the carnage that they had narrowly escaped. Their innocence was lost forever.

As quickly as it had begun it was over. My wife and I felt horrible. It was akin to receiving a gift of cuddly, cute lambs that my friend Dave had lovingly raised and recklessly having thrown the innocent lambs into a pen of voracious wolves. A cloud suddenly blocked the sun and the sky became dark, the air had a chillingly foreboding feeling to it. The songbird had stopped it’s beautiful singing, it cocked its head to stare at me with a searing, angry look in his all knowing eye. As the glorious bird flew away it defecated upon my shoulder expressing disgust and disapproval.

In my imagination I can still hear the screams of those Gams. I imagine them to be much like the screams of lambs being slaughtered. I want the screams to stop, I want the screams to go away, I want never to hear the screams again. All I want is.........
The Silence of the Gams.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I can here the song in my head done-ta, done-ta, done-ta.........

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have a similar story to relate. The first time I stocked hsb from Todd Overton I bought the smallest ones he had available. The same thing happened to them that happened to your Gams. Some of them did survive the attack by the lmb but many did not. It would have been quite a show to watch as the hsb were coming out of the water trying to escape the lmb had I not just spent three hours driving and two dollars for each fish.

Lunker
Lunker
All I can say is that I wish I had know about blocking nets when stocking fish in a pond with predators. I suspect the same thing happened to the 250 2-3" SMB we stocked in 2005.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's some great writing, Jeff.

I think Lusk should publish that as a story in the magazine. Can I forward it to him?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
That's some great writing, Jeff.

I think Lusk should publish that as a story in the magazine. Can I forward it to him?
Bruce I would be absolutely honored. Please feel free to forward it to Mr. Lusk.

I never did get around to emailing him my "I want a new fish song lyrics." Sometimes I think I have way too much time on my hands. \:D

For those of you newbies that didn't catch my foray into song writing...

"I Want a New Fish"

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Done deal.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Jeff, you forgot to use the LMB force field. All LMB's are disoriented for a short time when contact is made with the force field.

At least your GAMS would have had a fighting chance for survival if you would have used the LMB force field.

Have a day that you truly deserve!
Lunker
Lunker
'Course, youda hafta made little tinfoil hats for the Gams ta wear, else they'da been disorientated too!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i hate dial up...that's how i missed this....ROTFLMAO \:D \:D

no more gams fer you buddy!

GSF are people too!

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I like it, I like it...great lead story for a stocking advice story. I'll work on it for September/October issue of PB.
I'll email Jeff and Dave about it when I get around to writing it.
Good stuff...thanks.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Why don't people realize that bass are vicious and aggressive animals. It is pretty much a waste of time, effort and money putting new small fish in with a mixed population of LM bass. It is like putting chickens in a closed barn with several foxes.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
you sound just like my wife bill :rolleyes: ....no disrespect intended, but that is exactly what she said when i shared this little diddy with her this evening, except she used a coyote analogy.

yeah, jeff, how come you didnt realize this.......doh! \:D

actually i was thinking you had sufficient weed cover for good survival, but those excited little souls just had to go swimming out in the middle huh?

too too funny..

oh yeah, and p.s., as i mentioned somewheres else, my gams do know where you live \:D

GSF are people too!

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Funniest thing I've read in a while, Thanks!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Somehow I just knew that even with my disclaimer, even though I implored my fellow forum members not to subject themselves to the horrible truth that this post would reveal, that many members would not heed my advice. And their life journey would be forever altered. Every pond stocking decision would be second guessed, every predator/prey relationship reevaluated.

I feared of retribution. Would I be labeled a murder of Gambusia? Would this cause a scarlet letter effect upon my character? Would I be forever banned from posting on the Pond Boss Forums for so callously subjecting my innocent charges to the ruthless hordes of pond wolves that we refer to simply as LMB? At Pond Boss conventions, that I had hopes of attending in the future, would I be excluded from participating in social events? While passing congregated groups of convention attendees would I hear the dreaded whisper of hushed voices expressing disapproval and distain?

I was forced to weigh the consequences of my truth telling. Perhaps if my story could save one, just one tiny insignificant Gambusia from enduring such a horrible fate it would be worth the potential retribution. Perhaps if one fellow forum member would remember this lurid tale and thereby consider the poor innocent life that we pond owners so callously, collective refer as merely forage. Then maybe that forum member would be spared the psychological scars that I my wife and I now have. And with that goal in mind I felt compelled to share the truth.

THE AFTERMATH

A story is never complete unless the reader knows what transpires after a tragic event. And so I present to you some details of the aftermath.

Regarding Gambusia:

If you recall from my tragic story the large Gam school divided into two schools. I have been forced to accept that the one school that so innocently tried to escape their fate by swimming into deeper water suffered untold casualties and perhaps perished in their entirety.

The second school that by some quirk of fate, or karmic event, or perhaps even divine intervention, swam into the shallows and managed to conceal themselves amongst the thick vegetation. It is my belief, or perhaps just a thinly disguised hope, that this school represented half of the Gam population that was thrust into this horrific event. I do know that at least some Gams did survive as evidenced by the several large schools of minuscule Gam fry that I observed earlier this year.

The effect upon Jeffhasapond and his wife:

This tragic event has forever altered life as we know it. We no longer have the stomach to crush scary a looking spider because we know that this poor beast is someone’s brother or sister or perhaps even a mother or father. The though of taking an innocent life is still too fresh in our mind and weighs too heavy upon our heart. Countless thousands of dollars has been spent on psychological counseling; regression analysis; dream interpretation; and even role playing in which one of us, while donning a Gambusia costume, is allowed to bludgeon the other with a padded club. We now make an annual pilgrimage to a Gambusia Farm to pay homage and seek forgiveness.

Judge me if you will fellow pond meisters for there is no punishment that you can bestow upon us that is worse than that that we have subjected ourselves to.

And finally to my friend DIED…

I realize that this event will forever alter our friendship. I accept that you may no longer trust me with the care of any additional pond life. I just hope that, over time, you can come to realize that I had the best intentions and that it was ignorance not ill will that caused this tragic event to unfold. If you cannot forgive me then I shall be forced to consume the six pack of adult beverages that I have in my chilling refrigerator in solitude.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
a) you wear the gam suit, Ricki gets to club you

b) save yer psychological counseling expenditures for an aerator

c) i trust no one

d) my gams know where you live. you must visit and prostrate yerself before them, beg forgiveness, and pray they do not act upon what they have learned from my RES and lunker GSF.

e) assuming they let you live, i shall force you to consume a case of beer with me, not a skimpy six pack,

f) have we learned our lesson now?

\:D \:D

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I felt the six pack was a little light, basically only really good for one person. The case makes things right.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I plant smaller feed trained fish annually in my largest pond with large predators with no problems. However they go into a 7 feet by 7 feet cage until they are large enough to release in the fall or I transfer them to another pond. It's also a great way to add a new age class of largemouths every year.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Dave:
Regarding your conditions:

a) you wear the gam suit, Ricki gets to club you: Although we were supposed to switch the clubber/clubee roles so far it has not happened. My wife believes that since I instigated this event that I should always play the role of clubee. So this term is already in place.

b) save yer psychological counseling expenditures for an aerator: Done deal, no more large expenditures for psychological counseling. I will create an aeration fund with the proceeds. Don't tell anyone but I stopped taking my personality suppression medication a while back and have been diverting my medication proceeds into this fund. Not taking my meds does have some side effects but I can live with that. This already has had, and will continue to have, an effect on my fellow pond boss forum members as well but I really feel that in this case everyone should "take one for the team." Condition accepted.

c) i trust no one: Trusting no one is a little harsh but what hey what works for you, works for you.

d) my gams know where you live. you must visit and prostrate yerself before them, beg forgiveness, and pray they do not act upon what they have learned from my RES and lunker GSF: I have been avoiding coming face to face with the parents of the Gam children that I have slaughtered but I guess the time has come to "face the music" as they say. What ever punishment that they bestow upon me is probably well deserved. Besides it's part of my 12 step program anyway. I am very concerned however that they have been learning behavior from lurker GSF and I will admit it publicly that I am absolutely terrified that RES have been mentoring the Gams - I fear that no good will come from this. I have heard rumors that RES use Mudskippers to do their dirty deeds but was not aware that this arrangement has also extended to Gams. This is most disturbing news.

e) assuming they let you live, i shall force you to consume a case of beer with me, not a skimpy six pack: I accept this term and will endeavor to consume a case of beer with you. I practiced this a great deal in my younger years so I believe that I am up to this grueling task. I do believe however that I should warn you that the combination of not taking my personality suppression medication and adding liberal amounts of alcohol can result in events that are not suitable for publication. A few years ago I confirmed this during a "4th of July" party that got out of hand and required the intervention of a hazmat crew, the swat team, the fire department and a massage therapist. To this day my wife and I do not discuss the heinous events that unfolded that day. My only request with this condition is that we invoke the "What happens in El Dorado, stays in El Dorado" rule.

f) have we learned our lesson now?: We've learned.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
I felt the six pack was a little light, basically only really good for one person. The case makes things right.
You are a tough but fair man Sunil, but of course I would expect no less of an esteemed member of B.I.S.A.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

M
MJR Offline
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by jeffhasapond:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
You are a tough but fair man Sunil, but of course I would expect no less of an esteemed member of B.I.S.A.
Um, could we make this a community event with, of course, enough cases to overcome the group affliction?

I'll volunteer my pond banks as a location event since I'm centrally located.

Be the fish.
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
 Quote:
Originally posted by jeffhasapond:

If you recall from my tragic story the large Gam school divided into two schools. I have been forced to accept that the one school that so innocently tried to escape their fate by swimming into deeper water suffered untold casualties and perhaps perished in their entirety.

The second school that by some quirk of fate, or karmic event, or perhaps even divine intervention, swam into the shallows and managed to conceal themselves amongst the thick vegetation.
You may have actually done this little Gam Group a favor. Please allow me to explain:

By thrusting this poor, unsuspecting group into a dangerous situation, you forced them into making decisions, decisions that resulted in either life, or death. Those that survived became smarter, learning that cover was the place to be. Those that perished simply helped purify the gene pool by sacrificing themselves in order to allow the smarter gams to flee to safety. All is not in vain my friend, so instead of drowning your sorrow with that six pack of adult beverage, you should toast to the brave, selfless gams that threw themselves to the wolves to allow others to survive.

Shawn

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
TO THE GAMS!

M
MJR Offline
M
Uh oh. What if the gams really do start getting smarter? What if their intellect begins to approach that of HAL 9000 or, possibly, the Borg?

Could fish rule the world? Or, on this forum, is that already the case?

Be the fish.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 09:46 PM
How much feed?
by TEC - 05/01/24 09:41 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:10 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:00 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 08:48 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/01/24 08:03 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question