Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
If we are not carfull it could be the END of rain here in Georgia!!! For that much, lakes and ponds as well....

By MIKE TONER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/09/07

Peak summer temperatures in Atlanta and the Southeast could reach as high as 110 degrees if climate change continues at its current pace, NASA scientists warned Wednesday.

[ Submit your comments below. ]
A new computer analysis by the Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York suggests that during July and August, maximum daily temperatures could average 100 to 110 degrees in cities like Atlanta and as far north as Washington and Chicago, making once-rare temperatures more commonplace.

The hottest temperature recorded in Atlanta in the last 77 years was a stifling 105-degree reading on July 13, 1980. Elsewhere — most recently in Greenville, in Meriwether County, in August 1983 — the temperature has actually reached a scorching 112, which is the all-time state record.

Based on the latest NASA analysis, however record setting temperatures like those could become regular features of summer heat waves.

Although models of global warming often predict higher average temperatures as the world warms, the latest study is one of the first to look at potential weather extremes on a regional basis.

The findings, in fact, are so recent that they were not included in this year's report on the impacts of warming issued last month by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

"Our analysis shows that there is the potential for extremely hot summertime temperatures, especially during summers with less-than-average rainfall," said NASA researcher Barry Lynn.

Daily high summer temperatures throughout the eastern United States currently average in the low to mid-80s, but the NASA researchers found that if greenhouse gases continue to increase, the peak temperatures of summer heat waves would average 10 degrees higher by the year 2080 — a level that previous studies have warned could alter the shape of agriculture, power consumption, and human health.

The researchers say the projected increase would push the maximum summer temperatures throughout the eastern United States, from Florida to Pennsylvania, to as high as 100 degrees — and to as high as 110 in a smaller area that includes Georgia, the Deep South and Texas.

Assuming that carbon dioxide and greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase at the current rate, about 2 percent a year, the researchers analyzed a host of interrelated factors, ranging from soil moisture, land and sea-surface temperatures, rainfall, cloud cover, and the projected increases in heat-trapping gases.

"Using high resolution weather prediction models, we showed how greenhouse gases enhance feedbacks between precipitation, radiation, and atmospheric circulation that will likely lead to extreme temperatures in our not-so-distant future," says Lynn.

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
If we are not carfull it could be the END of rain here in Georgia!!!
Big pond, one good hurricane in the right place and water levels could be all good in Georgia for the rest of the summer. ;\)

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Welcome to TEXAS

Hum, maybe I will move north east and start a A/C business.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dang.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
DY, 6 ft is not deep enough any more looks like more depth is needed to survive the water loss during the summer months just like in the lone star state.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
How much difference would it make if the pond was surrounded with 80-90 foot tall trees around 15 - 20 feet from the edge?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
DY, if your girl friend is going to have the 3 to 4 acre lake, just use that new portable irigation pump and keep your smaller fishing hole filled up.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
I saw that story on TV about future temps between 100-110 in Atlanta. Our weather guessers can't even get the weather right for the weekend, and the locals are getting upset about a predictons for 75-80 years away :rolleyes: Even if they are right, it's not like it happens overnight. Our kids, grandkids, etc will figure out a way to deal with it. That's what we do!!

Keep on smilin' \:\)

Just do it...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Very philosophical, rmedgar, and so true.
If it gets too hot for CNBG they could always raise.......fill in the blank.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
We haven't had a decent rain in 3 months in Grady county, and the creek that runs through our place is now a series of puddles. Our neighbor says this has happened only once in the last 50 years.

BTW, everyone around here has a pond almost, or 2, or 3 and most of the ponds look to be only 1 or 2 feet low and some are at full pool. Is this a function of good soils and water table? Should I be encouraged?

Here's an aerial of our place including about 4 sq miles, which shows the number of ponds. I assume that the vast majority of them are constructed.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I have not had a drop of rain in 25 days and only 2 inches in the last 60 days. I am below normal for the year about 10 inches.

I wish the folks in Texas and mid-west could share some.

Frank

Book Owner and Magazine Subscriber 3 acre pond central GA
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My favorite John Anderson song "Red Georgia Clay"
I'd be encouraged!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
rt: Thanks for the encouragement.

Frank: How's the level of your pond?

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Boy i watch the wheather EVER 2 hours for some hope. The way I see it the only way we could get ANYTHING is through a hurrican! In fact we have not had a Good hurrican come through Georgia in almost three YEARS!!! Man this thing could turn to Arizona Desert!!!!

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
The little branch that will feed Cindy's 4-6 acre pond hasn't been running for about three months now. In a normal weather pattern it will run most of the time. That branch is mostly fed by the 60 acre watershed from the neighbors property. Even though it stopped flowing there are still pools in the proposed pond basin that are at least 12" deep.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
damn yankee
I am down approx 10 inches. I think I must have a spring somewhere cause other nearby ponds are down more like 18-24 inches.

Forecast is 40% chance of rain for Sat - I sure hope we all get some.

Frank

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I been thinking about you guys and the lack of rain

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I just came up from my pond area rather disgusted. I came in to cool down when I sat down and read this thread.

Some of us just have to step back and realize just how fortunate we really are.

I was attempting to mow the grass down by the pond. I am now heading back down with my tractor and a chain so I can pull my lawn tractor out of the muck behind my pond.

My water level has been at or above the standpipe since the end of September last year. Last summer it only dipped below the standpipe from about mid-August to mid-September, when it was down a maximum of about 12 inches.

Those of you in the Southwest, Southeast, and North Central area have my sympathies.

Snow in mid-April, and muck and high grass in mid-May is good, even if we don't think so at the time.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
There was a nice line of thunderstorms that moved through Georgia with many areas getting some much needed rain. I received 0.37 inches which is the first rain I have had in 27 days. Maybe that will clear some of the smoke from the south Ga fires.

Frank

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Frank is you pond full or low ?

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Eric

I am below full pool 10-12 inches. I believe there is a spring somewhere because my pond never drops as much as other nearby ponds.

Local news Sat night reported rainfall from one to three inches in parts of middle & south Georgia. I hope it helps put out some of the fires or at least knocks the smoke down.

Today there was heavy smoke and smell in the air - and I am 150 miles north of the fire area. That blew my mind to see so much smoke in the air that far away!

Frank

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Barely got any rain here. I sure do miss having the creek running.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
May 2007 will set a record for Macon GA with NO rain for the month. Not a drop at the offical recording station st the airport!

Prior to May 2007, the driest May in Macon was in 1918 with 0.11 inches.

I got lucky and had a micro-burst on May 12 dropping 0.37 inches on my home but the majority of the city/county has not had a drop in 44 days My pond has not had rain in 44 days \:\(

Frank

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
If it makes you guys feel any better we are having a record spring rain event down here in Texas. Our ponds have been running around for several months now. I hope I have fish left. \:\)

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by rockytopper:
If it makes you guys feel any better we are having a record spring rain event down here in Texas.
No rockytopper, no.

edit: No offense taken rt, I'm just messin' with ya.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images