Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,002
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (Fishingadventure, catscratch, Sunil, esshup, Cliff76169, jmartin, JasonInOhio, FishinRod), 1,304 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#86090 04/18/07 09:06 AM
G
george Offline OP
OP Offline
G
The forum is in the doldrums this morning so I thought I would stir a little controversy.
I know I’ll get in trouble but here goes... \:D

LMB are boring – I quit fishing for them years ago when they became about as exciting as watching whiskers grow. \:\(

I began fishing for striped bass where the action is, and continued until my son built “our” ponds some four years ago, and we stocked Hybrid Striped Bass.
Forum members know the rest of the story, so don’t want to bore folks.

Monday I had a HSB on that was the most fun I’ve had in a L-O-N-G time.
Took me into the backing three times on a 5wt - can’t break the leader since switching to 14# “clear” braid GsP, with diameter of 6# mono.
The reel handle barked my knuckles so bad that they are still throbbing. ;\)

Yes, it was caught it on a # 12 pellet fly in front of a feeder... \:o
The small hook pulled out on the third run…long distance release...

HSB will outfight a LMB 5 to 1 – LMB are boring... \:\)

#86091 04/18/07 09:33 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
After getting large SMB and large HSB into my pond, my interest in LMB has dropped off substantially.

Sure I still love LMB, but I'm considering culling all LMB that I catch. If I do so, I may cull any LMB less than 16" or 18".

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

#86092 04/18/07 09:41 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well I hate to admit it but I have absolutely no reference. I have never caught either a Striper or a Small Mouth Bass. The only bass I've ever caught is large mouth. I live such a sheltered fishing life. \:D

But you want controversy, up until a couple of years ago I thought that fresh water fishing was boring. The majority of fishing that I had done prior to owning my pond was salt water fishing and the majority of that was in the Sea of Cortez. Large tuna, Dorado (Mahi-Mahi), Marlin, Rooster Tail, Wahoo, Shark. Jeez, I thought any fish under 30lbs was bait for what you were really trying to catch.

Hooking up a 40lb Dorado and watching that baby tail walk, I thought that was the ultimate fishing experience. But that is compromised by hours of trolling in a charted boat sometimes with a couple of people that you never met until that day (which trust me can be a bad, bad experience).

But once I got my place I saw the light. There is something so satisfying about quietly paddling a kayak to my favorite pond spot and tossing in a lure only to have a nice strike the moment it hits the water's surface.

I'm sure the experienced fisherman will have some controversy for you. Unfortunately, I'm a Striper and Small Mouth Bass virgin. The TV fishing shows always say that lb for lb the SMB is a real fighter. But this sheltered fisherman cannot debate this subject. \:\(

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
#86093 04/18/07 10:28 AM
G
george Offline OP
OP Offline
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by jeffhasapond:

But you want controversy, up until a couple of years ago I thought that fresh water fishing was boring. The majority of fishing that I had done prior to owning my pond was salt water fishing and the majority of that was in the Sea of Cortez. Large tuna, Dorado (Mahi-Mahi), Marlin, Rooster Tail, Wahoo, Shark. Jeez, I thought any fish under 30lbs was bait for what you were really trying to catch.

Hooking up a 40lb Dorado and watching that baby tail walk, I thought that was the ultimate fishing experience. But that is compromised by hours of trolling in a charted boat sometimes with a couple of people that you never met until that day (which trust me can be a bad, bad experience).
Jeff, let’s stay focused on controversial pond species or I’ll have to get out my photos of salty blue water species caught on 12 wt Sage fly rods and Abel reels.

Try blue water fly fishing - trolling is even more boring than watching whiskers grow, but I got too old too fast for that sport. \:\(

And charter your own boat... \:D

#86094 04/18/07 10:45 AM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
trolling is even more boring than watching whiskers grow
I gotta disagree George, especialy when you are catching fish like this. :p

#86095 04/18/07 10:46 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
George, I guess you were going after some of those bulked up CNBG. How long did the fight last? Think it will be OK with the water cool?

#86096 04/18/07 11:13 AM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
At one time I lived and breathed LMB fishing. I think in part to my father taking me since I was old enough to cast a lure. I caught my first big bass when I was 7 yrs old. Now we all know "Big" is relative to the geographic location, which in my case was central Iowa, it weighed 5lbs 9oz'z. When your that age an experience like that brands you for some time to come. I continued bass fishing in farm ponds with my dad until I was able to drive and then was able to do it on my own. I joined a local Bass club and began fishing club tournements. LMB were becoming easier to catch and the repeat in size of no bigger than 8 lbs wore on my patience of wanting bigger fish. After moving to the capital city area I began fishing the Des Moines River and began to catch Walleye, SMB, and Hybrid Wipers, the latter of which rival any fighting fish I have caught, especially in the current of the spillway of an impoundment. My biggest wiper was just short of 10lbs and it was a great fight!

After having children for 10 yrs now I've come to enjoy the fight of a slab BG on light tackle, mainly because that's what comes in the least amount of time and distance.

So, I'm agreeing that LMB aren't as good of fighters but only because I have caught other fish with more spirit not because they are boring especially to a child, or even an adult who has never caught one. It's all relative to your enviroment.

FH

#86097 04/18/07 11:22 AM
G
george Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Burger, with the new leader material, I can put more heat on them to land them quickly - this one was too large – that’s why the small hook pulled out.
I think with the cool water (59 degrees near shore) they will be OK.

Longest fight to date and their metabolism is still cold water slow!!!
I don’t have to see them to enjoy the fight.

I'm rigging up O2 system soon.

#86098 04/18/07 12:10 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
LMB have all sorts of great sporting qualities. Big mouth, aggressive, spirited fights, pretty cool looking, etc etc.

HSB however fight considerably harder IMO for each pound of weight. My Dad and I caught 7 last night between 2 and 4 pounds. It was crazy!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#86099 04/18/07 12:32 PM
U
Lunker
Lunker
U
No argument here. A HSB vs LMB is no contest when it come to overall fight.

I do prefer LMB's because they are more predictable as to where they will be since a HSB is an open water fish that constantly is moving/roaming.

Besides I've never caught a HSB on a Texas Rigged Senko. ;\)

#86100 04/18/07 12:50 PM
G
george Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Our HSB are fairly predictable as to habitat.
They like to hang out around the aerator diffusers, and when the dinner bell goes off they come to dine.

HSB (so far) don’t get hook shy, overpopulate and become stunted... \:D

#86101 04/18/07 01:07 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
George you must be bored to stir this one up. ;\)

I don't classify any type of attempt to catch a fish on the proper sized gear as boring.

If you want a real charged fishing experience then try wade fishing (hand grabbing) for knifefish (Electrophorus electricus).

George I started to list some of the disadvantages/limits of HSB but decided not to do that . Opinions are just that while facts speak for themselves. :p

#86102 04/18/07 01:20 PM
G
george Offline OP
OP Offline
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
George you must be bored to stir this one up. ;\)
Eric, I should be ashamed of myself for starting something like this. \:o

Here I am, sitting at my computer when you guys are slaving away - and since I can't go fishing today, I don't want to go outside and pull weeds... \:D

#86103 04/18/07 01:32 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have both in my pond and enjoy catching them both. These two fish are very different in the way that they feed and the area of the pond i catch them in. I very rarely catch the lmb out in the middle of the pond and very rarely catch the hybrids along the shore. I can draw the hybrids in closer with feed but they are not naturally along the bank like the bass are. The hybrids do pull and run harder but I do like variety.

#86104 04/18/07 06:02 PM
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
george, great topic! There probably isn't a "right" answer and all fish can be great under the right conditions. What really is wonderful is that we are expanding our list of enjoyable fishing experiences beyond LMB.

Norm Kopecky
#86105 04/18/07 07:35 PM
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I had some great fun catching LMB in my younger years, but have to say that I think they are over-rated.

That's all I have to say about that.

It's ALL about the fish!
#86106 04/18/07 09:27 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
George,
I have fished for a caught many LMB and HSB and I would agree with you that the fight from the HSB is stronger and longer than the LMB. However, for me it is not the fight that I enjoy so much as it is the hunt. In other words, I get more satisfaction out of trying to figure out where the LMB are and what they want to bite on that particular day taking into consideration the time of year, depth, weather conditions etc. To me that is the challenge that keeps me coming back. My goals and desires have changed considerably as I get older. I never thought I would get so excited about catching bluegill until my new lake filled up. I am really excited to try one of your pellet flies this weekend that you taught James Holt and I to make. I will let you know how it works!

#86107 04/18/07 09:43 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
On the subject of HSB. Are they predominantly male as in some other hybrids? I know that they are not known to reproduce(or seldom).

#86108 04/19/07 06:03 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
George, be very careful or THEY will be coming for for you. This kind of sedition can get you into serious trouble from Native Texans. Next thing you know, you'll be paying somebody to change your oil and buying water in cute little decorator bottles from the grocery store instead of straining the perfectly good stuff from the faucet through your teeth. Is nothing sacred?

I like both species and think that HSB is easily the answer to small(?) ponds and LMB over spawning. However, due to hatchery constraints and price, availability of larger fish to restock might limit their general acceptance. To the best of my knowledge, Todd is the only provider for the larger fish and I'm not sure how many "average" farm pond owners will want to pay a higher price.

BTW, how do smaller HSB "travel"? Do they do OK in a hatchery truck? Can they hold up to 3 days on the road? I'm thinking about the trucks that leave Arkansas and spend their days stopping at feed stores. If they can't, this and $$ may be a limiting factor.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#86109 04/19/07 06:47 AM
G
george Offline OP
OP Offline
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by fishinglth:
George,
I have fished for a caught many LMB and HSB and I would agree with you that the fight from the HSB is stronger and longer than the LMB. However, for me it is not the fight that I enjoy so much as it is the hunt. In other words, I get more satisfaction out of trying to figure out where the LMB are and what they want to bite on that particular day taking into consideration the time of year, depth, weather conditions etc. To me that is the challenge that keeps me coming back. My goals and desires have changed considerably as I get older. I never thought I would get so excited about catching bluegill until my new lake filled up. I am really excited to try one of your pellet flies this weekend that you taught James Holt and I to make. I will let you know how it works!
fishinglth, as we all know, there is a time and place in our lives for all things – good and bad.
I have fought the battle and won - if you let me define winning... \:D

There will be a time in your life when reaping the results of your labor is more important than the challenge... \:\)

Enjoy you pond and appreciate the diversity – life is good.

#86110 04/19/07 07:03 AM
G
george Offline OP
OP Offline
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:
George, be very careful or THEY will be coming for for you. This kind of sedition can get you into serious trouble from Native Texans. Next thing you know, you'll be paying somebody to change your oil and buying water in cute little decorator bottles from the grocery store instead of straining the perfectly good stuff from the faucet through your teeth. Is nothing sacred?

I like both species and think that HSB is easily the answer to small(?) ponds and LMB over spawning. However, due to hatchery constraints and price, availability of larger fish to restock might limit their general acceptance. To the best of my knowledge, Todd is the only provider for the larger fish and I'm not sure how many "average" farm pond owners will want to pay a higher price.

BTW, how do smaller HSB "travel"? Do they do OK in a hatchery truck? Can they hold up to 3 days on the road? I'm thinking about the trucks that leave Arkansas and spend their days stopping at feed stores. If they can't, this and $$ may be a limiting factor.
Now Dave, having the opportunity and good fortune for us to become acquainted, you know better than to try to out-red-neck a good ole East Texas boy. \:D

Those of us that know you best realize that you can red-neck some of us – and flip a switch to a comfort zone for a presentation to the board of directors of a Fortune 500 company.

Yeah, I caught my first LMB on a cane pole when I was too young to even remember my age.

Like most fishermen, I was a died-in-the-wool LMB fanatic until I discovered striped bass, and when my son built us a pond, I wanted HSB.
Jeff is a hard-core LMB guy, and has pampered the wishes of his dear old dad, but after getting his tackle busted a few times with HSB, he’s coming around.

Your question of cost and availability is addressed by Lusk in the current issue of PB magazine. He believes that with the growing popularity of HSB in private ponds, competition will solve the problem of cost and availability of adult HSB.

As far as Arkansas fish trucks hauling HSB, I don’t think that’s going to happen.
Most of their adult fish are stunted, having been held in crowded raceways, whereas Bruce and Todd’s HSB have been grown out in optimum conditions.

#86111 04/19/07 07:31 AM
G
george Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hey, guys, thanks for all the responses and interesting discussion. \:\)

I must admit, I enjoy the diversity of a LMB, HSB, BG pond. There is nothing like a big LMB exploding on a topwater bug in the early morning or late evening hours.

But - HSB rules the pond... \:D

#86112 04/19/07 08:27 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by burgermeister:
On the subject of HSB. Are they predominantly male as in some other hybrids? I know that they are not known to reproduce(or seldom).
Just wanted to give this question a bump. Also, do they prey on the small LMB?

#86113 04/19/07 09:25 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Short answer from a very tired and exhausted boy....

I've found about 15 percent with ovaries. The rest are probably male, however a lot of those don't show milt when squeezed.

I've never heard of a single instance of successful reproduction in a pond.

If an appropriately sized LMB presents himself to a hybrid striper, he might get eaten. The hybrids are not known however for actively targeting LMB.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#86114 04/19/07 09:36 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks, Bruce.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?