Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,990
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Bigtrh24, Sunil, catscratch, highflyer), 1,128 guests, and 497 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84804 03/28/07 07:46 AM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Today was one of those days that make the world a wonderful place. I had a red wine I had yet to crack, my daughter had just sent me a new cd, and I think I saw one of my first generation tilapia.

It has been hot all week, over 96 every day; humidity is still low in the lower 80s, but rising daily, causing unstable air which is producing thunderheads all around us some of them reaching thousands of feet into the sky. Where we build, we usually have a breeze and you just have to find the spot where the shade and breeze come together to be comfortable. Tonight that was on the front balcony.
I was busy cooking spaghetti and whipping up one of those sauces that only the cook can truly appreciate with which I fully intended enjoying the red, when I looked out the kitchen window an saw, you know "saw" not just looked, the shear beauty of my front yard. Words escape me and a picture would never do the justice to my minds eye of the scene. Because it was the same yesterday, but without my knowing or seeing, it's as much perception as reality, maybe more. Remember, I have yet to sip the first drop of that red, this is pure revelation in its basest form.
I sauced my pasta, cracked the wine, grabbed a stool and went outside and got it on with being overcome, what a great feeling.
Nature is special, but really, overwhelming? Man that barely describes it.
Ok, now into the second glass of wine, oh, by the way my local wine merchant had 2 choices, a red and a white, both by that world renowned vintner, Fetzer, I of course selected the merlot. For you beer guys it's the wine in the white 3 liter cardboard box, but you will need a glass, or in many of your cases a plastic cup, drinking directly from the box is uncouth.
I digress, the cd was the Beach Boys, Sounds of Summer. The tilapia was a real surprise, he was one of those two axe handle between the eyes kind of guys, I fed the fish like normal but like I said tonight was different, I usually don't eat on the balcony and watch what goes on after feeding. Anyway, sitting there musing, I saw this large fish, I have watched my fish grow from an 1 1/2", so big is usually only a couple of inches or ounces from the last, this was at least a pound. I had never seen him before.
This is maybe the fith or sixth time I have had a clarity of of my surroundings to this extent in my life. I wish that I were better able to describe how it feels, I know from reading forum posts that I am not alone, Bobad and D.I.E.D. recently and Bruce often display symptoms.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
#84805 03/28/07 07:55 AM
Lunker
Lunker
You put the "RAD" in tropical paRADise.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#84806 03/28/07 08:02 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Whew! I often show pictures of your place, Rad, to people that I know, so that they can see how exotic and beautiful a pond can be. I wish we could bottle that "clarity" and give it to our world leaders, and force them to take a sip every once in a while.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#84807 03/28/07 08:33 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rad man...succinct and poetic. I can feel the fuzz. My midwestern equivalent occurs when I visit my project on a solo trip and spend quality time walking the woods. I freely exchange greetings and well wishes with the trees, often delivering a firm reassuring pat on the trunk. The wind in the trees compete with the birds in a muted shouting match to gain my attention. Crazy? maybe. Gettin' right with The Man? Absolutely.

#84808 03/28/07 08:34 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Some people would call that "clarity" a flashback; not that I would know anything about it though.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

#84809 03/28/07 08:42 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Rad, I can't wait to finish my floating wharf so I can sit and sip wine. When I look out over my pond and surrounding area, I see only imperfection. The imperfection overshadows all the good.

I also long for your Babe the Blue Ox-sized tilapia. Maybe some day they will be legal in my state, or the great bird will drop some in my pond. \:\)

Your words clearly convey your enjoyment for your pond. Thanks for the nice image.

#84810 03/28/07 09:05 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Bob there are no perfect ponds. Only good ponds that reflect the hard work and imagination of their owners. Yours easily fills that description !!! Every one of them have projects yet to be undertaken. Enjoy the beauty of that creation and all its mystery, all the while planning to enjoy the journey yet to come. \:\)

#84811 03/28/07 09:17 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Every now and then there is a perfect day. You just had one and it didn't come easy.

BTW, if you ever make it back to South Texas, lose the plastic cups and go straight from the box. They'll think you're putting on airs and won't loan you any money.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#84812 03/28/07 09:54 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Last year my family started a "new" tradition. We purchased our property in the winter of 2005. We (unfortunately) don't live at the property yet. So we placed a couple of travel trailers on the property and we go visit it at as often as possible. (Usually once a month during non-tax season).

Anyway on one trip last year on the last day we were to be staying on our property we were floating around the pond in some comfortable floating chairs. It was a magnificent day outside. A warm sunny day with a slight breeze rustling the cedar and pine trees the smell of pine wasping through the air. We thought it couldn't get any better. Then we decided the only thing we were missing was a glass of wine. So I excited the pond trekked up to the trailer and grabbed a bottle of wine and four glasses, brought the wine back to the pond, popped the cork and enjoyed the remaining hours floating on the pond sipping wine. Now it has become our new tradition. (I even bought a floating cooler that looks like a giant red/white bobber, lol). Every trip on our last day (except during cold weather months) we have a celebratory floating wine toast.

Makes me wish every time that I was living there already. I envy you guys that live at your pond. I gotta get a house built if I have to build it out of cardboard!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
#84813 03/28/07 12:06 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
nail on head rad.

i missed capturing one on camera yesterday morning between about 0730 and 0800. the sky was a deep blue broken with huge creamy cumulous clouds trailing the front from the day before. the sun had just come over the mountain top and was bearing down on the pond. the pond had been warming the last couple weeks, but with the recent cold snap, a thick blanket of smokey fog was emanating off the surface, rising 10 to 20 feet into the air, then being ripped, torn, shredded and whirled around in the cold canyon draining breeze......it was awesome......i thought about getting the camera and realized this could all be over before i could get back....so i just sat there and watched this epic phenomena, recording the image only in my mind.

GSF are people too!

#84814 03/28/07 01:16 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It is not something to be described in words as they do it an injustice. It is something to be experienced as it touches and fills you to the core of your soul. There are a number of pics on the slide show (a few below) that fit that description. I can recall the feeling and exuberance just by looking but only because my soul first encountered the experience.

#84815 03/28/07 01:34 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Well done Eric!

Pond Boss subscriber ever since I joined the forum. Thanks Bob!
#84816 03/28/07 01:39 PM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Eric, if I'd known Kathy was arranging shipping for auction winners, I would have given Ray Scott a run for his money on the painting of Star Lake based on that photo. He probably would have ended up taking it home anyway, but his wallet would have been a little lighter.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#84817 03/29/07 02:05 AM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Not to worry Theo you as well as all Pbers are welcome anytime, I'll pop for the room and beer. With reservations we will include all of the pacu and tilapia you can eat.

I know it looks bad, but it is stuffed with all kinds of good things and is quite tasty. If you prefer we will wrap yours in banana leaves or, yuk, even foil.
I hate to show this post to my girlfriend she will get such a big head, she is the gardener, thanks for the mention Eric, we are honored.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves