Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgmbny, cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina
18,519 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,996
Posts558,332
Members18,520
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
8 members (tim k, Dux96, Boondoggle, Ponderific2024, mkey, Bigtrh24, FireIsHot, Theo Gallus), 1,178 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Now after two years of very little rain - the water cometh - not a bad thing except for the shut down of my 2.5 ac lake project- Now I need an effective pump ---what is the best trash pump- best to buy or rent- How far can these things push water - hate to waste water - if possible to move from one unwanted place to another. Will a two inch pump work or is a larger one required - probably need to move several thousand gallons of water - any suggestions----thanks

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I would rent. I bought one and threw a rod. Of course, maybe you are smarter than me. I found out that they are supposed to be used on little more than idle

If you buy, you also have to buy hose and that can get expensive. The input hose is $$$$. They will push water a heckuva way. The pushing of water isn't near as critical as the ability to lift. 2 inch should move several thousand gallons in a short time.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
When I was digging my small 3/4 acre pond, I had a rain storm dump a foot or so of water in it that I wanted to get out. I rented a 2 inch pump for the weekend and figured it would take a day to pump it dry. Wrong.

At the end of the first day, it looked like I hadn't done anything. I decided to spend the night there and keep it running all night. Every couple of hours I'd fill up the fuel tank.

By Monday morning, it still had water in it, but not much, when I returned it.

Are you sure it's only a few thousand gallons? I grossly under estimated how much water I had.

For what you've said you need it for, I'd rent.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Moving water is reletive.If its flat ground moving it 6-700 ft is no problem.A 2" pump should move 2-4000 gals per hour.If you look at a new pump look at the paperwork and it will tell you.DO NOT put smaller intake hose than the fitting on the pump,very bad mistake.Also,I pump water dailey(when I have it to spare)and I use 2" pvc pipe.Dont get less than 5hp on a 2" pump,it wont last.
Dave,I run my pumps,2-2" 1-3" 1-4"full thottle 3600rpm aaat all times and have never had a problem.I own a small engine repair shop so if you neeed more info let me know.your motor shuold not have blown.Was it low on oil,or2(dirty air filter? Aircooled engines are fairly dependable but dont tolerate abuse very well.Also,if it had VERY low hours it could have been defective.I do see loose rod bolts occasionally TOM

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That's interesting Tom. It was a standard Briggs engine running a 2 inch pump. The guy where I bought it said I had blown it up by running it at a continous high RPM. I didn't know any better and let him get away with it.

If I get the urge to get another one, I'll contact you for advice.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Dave
Thats really interesting.I wonder what his advice is on your lawnmower running wide open for hours on end while mowing your yard.I have talked to people who mow 6-8 hours at a time and dont blow motors.Kinda makes ya wonder,huh?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by TOM G:
Dave
Thats really interesting.I wonder what his advice is on your lawnmower running wide open for hours on end while mowing your yard.I have talked to people who mow 6-8 hours at a time and dont blow motors.Kinda makes ya wonder,huh?
Running small pump and mower engines wide open is an oxymoron. All of them I have ever seen have a governor set to a very low (and standard) 3600 RPM. You can run a bit slower, but I don't think it helps a lot. I believe keeping the oil changed is is more helpful than throttling them back. That keeps you real busy on a pump that runs 24/7!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Bob
Oil changes are critical,Briggs recommends every 20-25 hours of operation.The gov. are set at 3600rpm for max torq on the power curve.I spoke to Briggs this a m and as I suspected they dont advise slowing it down under loads and I specfically asked about the pumps.Seashores if you need more info let me know,be glad to help.
Tom

I subscribe

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Try and find a 3in. or 4in. Honda semi-trash or trash pump. They are very reliable and will really move some water. Three inch pump will pump around 18,000 and 4in. will pump around 23,000 gal/hour. They are not that expensive to rent at most equipment rental shops. Trash pump will handle bigger solids, I believe up to 1 1/8 inch.

I WANT BOB'S JOB!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Forgot to mention a float on your intake line.I use an empty capped gal jug so the trash isnt a problem.Just be sure its down far enough you dont get swirl as the pump will keep loing its prime.Also,always prime the pump..dry start means new pump seals.

I subscribe

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Tom, why should you not put on a smaller intake hose on a trash pump?

T
T
Will a trash pump move a heavy concentration of leaves and water. It's not the consistesy of mud but its heavy?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If you reduce the intake pipe/hose the pump is "starving" for water.If it cant get it in it cant pump it out.If you look at high end pumps they ussually have a bgger intake than discharge port.
Trash pumps will move a certain amount of mud and debries but watch out 1)if it has a plastic impeller it wont last long and 2)its very easy to plug the intake without a pickup screen.I am waiting for rain,waiting,waiting waiting....central texas joke...to try cleaning leaves out of my pond with a pump.Its a 3" honda with a castiron impeller.If we ever get runoff again Ill try it and let yall know the end results.waiting...waiting...waiting... If you try dont forget your discharging leaves,their heavy,pump em where you want em or youll have to rake and move em again. waiting...waiting... waiting

I subscribe

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tacoma Bob
Recent Posts
Tilapia with Winterkill
by Boondoggle - 05/08/24 06:44 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/08/24 03:57 PM
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by FishinRod - 05/08/24 02:02 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13