Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,582
Members18,537
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
13 members (ewest, Champ59, etx-pond-c, Jason D, SSJSayajin, Boondoggle, Theeck, canyoncreek, catscratch, Theo Gallus, Jake D., Stressless, Don Kennedy), 1,020 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
I have a very low water level in my pond. Lowest that it has ever been. It seems like it should be a golden opportunity to do something. I'm thinking of taking hydite blocks and making different configurations with them in 3' - 4' water. Blocks are cheap and I can drive around the pond; therefore, labor is not an issue. Any comments ? or Other suggestions ?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Ok, I'm willing to show my ignorance directly today, rather than have it deduced. What are hydite blocks?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
OP Offline
D
Not your ignorance...probably my spelling.
Concrete blocks with the two holes in them.
I bought 30 blocks the other day and they look great when you configure them in different shapes. But am I wasting my time ? Or is there something better because if this is a good idea then I pland to do 100 more.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Concrete blocks make great structure, I think because you can make big structures pertinant to big fish that are full of little holes for the smaller ones. Norm Kopecky may be the Master of concrete blocks. He has a great number of them placed underneath his fishing pier to draw fish in for beginning, inexperienced anglers.

I suggest you look through the history threads in this topic to help get ideas on where in the pond to place blocks and, perhaps, ideas on ways to pile them (if you haven't already). Think about where you will want to draw fish to make it easier for you to catch them, based on the pond geography, your fishing style(s), and maybe also the prevailing wind and morning/afternoon sun angles. I personally like fishing downwind with the sun at my back, and am almost always out in the afternoon, seldom in the morning.

If you aren't using damaged (or used salvaged) blocks at a discount, try to find them. The fish won't know the difference, but your budget will.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Theo, I'm not the master of anything but we certainly have used many concrete blocks, well over 15,000. I get seconds for free. These are blocks that are defective somehow and can't be used for anything. I take whatever sizes, shapes and colors they give me.

IMHO, concrete blocks provide some of the very best cover we can add to our lakes. I now get these blocks one pallet (75 blocks/pallet) at a time in my old pickup. We made a new handicapped fishing dock that is 32 ft. long along the shore and 10 ft. deep. I put 8 pallets of blocks under the dock (just threw them in) and the area under the dock is full of small fish. I threw in 20 pallets of blocks on each side of the dock.

Concrete blocks have many advantages. Small fish can readily swim among them attracting larger fish. While a person can certainly get snagged on a concrete block, it is hard to do so. Even then, just by pulling a different direction normally will free the line. Finally, these blocks seem to last forever.

In addition to around and under docks, I use these blocks in many different ways. They can provide excellent rip rap to prevent erosion. I form reefs by throwing 2-10 pallets of blocks out in lines perpendicular to the shore. Another idea is to put in a big pile of blocks on a point or some other place you would like to fish.

Since our lake is full of water, I just throw the blocks in. In your case, David, you can set them exactly the way you want them. Usually, the more the better. Good luck!

Norm Kopecky
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks Norm...that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Help,BG Dying, 1 a day
by Champ59 - 05/21/24 10:25 AM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by Boondoggle - 05/21/24 08:53 AM
I think I killed all my fish
by WiYeti - 05/21/24 08:49 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023