Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,954
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (ewest, Drago, Shorthose, TSan06, phinfan, DrLuke), 1,446 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BigLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi everybody....I'm new to the board...found you guys in my search to correct a problem I have with my pond.

I own a piece of property in Georgia.....7 acres....with a pond about 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre in size. The pond has an overflow pipe about 2 feet in diameter...covered by a heavy duty metal box cage.

My problem is this.....there is a family of beavers that are in the area and they keep clogging the metal box surrounding the overflow pipe up and this causes the pond level to rise and go over the spillway. While this would not be a problem if I lived nearby....it's a huge problem because eventually I think this will cause the spillway to collapse and then I'll have a much bigger problem.

The fellow that looked after the property for the previous owner said he had a trapper out on the property to take a look at the beaver situation and he said that unless someone lived there full time....getting rid of the beavers would not be possible.

So that being said.....do you knowledgeable folks have any design suggestions for my overflow pipe that is "Beaver Proof"??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

"Life is not a dress rehearsal!!"
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
welcome PB BigLuke.

throwing some deterrant ideas out there ................could the metal cage be electrified? or could one of those things that makes a noise to get rid of rodents be mounted on it? or could you install a ring of razor wire around it? or stock an alligator? :rolleyes:

GSF are people too!

J
J
Welcome Big Luke,
You're right, the beavers will cause big problems if not taken care of. Talk to Bob Lusk or Dave Davidson and many others on this site for the best info.

Check your local wildlife regulations but as far as I know, trapping and or shooting seem to work the best. Beavers are primarily nocturnal so you'll have to get them at night with a red spotlight. Can you find their lodge? If so destroy it and maybe they'll get the hint and move on. I did that on my neighbors place a couple of weeks ago and the beavers left post haste!

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
BigLuke,

12 gage 00 Buckshot works fine. Set up a beaver watching party about sunset. Dead beavers stuff no drains!

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i dont think BigLuke spends enough time at pond for beaver watching parties, sounds like he's looking for either engineering ideas for overflow pipe, or some kind of deterrant that'l work when no one's there, if thats possible.

GSF are people too!

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I have no idea what an overflow pipe is but seems that a chain type fence erected a few feet out from that pipe extending around it might be something that would work.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jake B:
Can you find their lodge? If so destroy it and maybe they'll get the hint and move on. I did that on my neighbors place a couple of weeks ago and the beavers left post haste!
For a second, I thought you were talking about the neighbor's lodge.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
incidently i was long SILC from about a week ago...up 31% this morning

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
yoli,I hope you sold at 8.93...time to short that baby.

B
BigLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
i dont think BigLuke spends enough time at pond for beaver watching parties, sounds like he's looking for either engineering ideas for overflow pipe, or some kind of deterrant that'l work when no one's there, if thats possible.
That is exactly correct. I need a solution for a property that I will visit maybe twice a year for now. I have family nearby that I can ask to check on it from time to time but I don't want to be a pain in the butt.

Just to be clear....the pipe is verticle in the ground with it elbowing and then going through one side of the pond and out into a stream. On top of the pipe is a heavy duty rebar type box covering it.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Dang BigLuke - You need to get out more often (just kidding)! BigLuke - I had a design that may help, check out the photo:

This design keeps the trash from going into the pipe. If you put a screen on the top and bottom of the outer pipe - this will prevent your furry friends from clogging the stand pipe.

Gator

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
What Gator says is the only "humane" way that I know of to handle things.

Don't constrict the pipe or allow them to constrict it. It is there for a purpose. The only way to control them is to consider them as pests and subject to lethal measures. If you're not going to be there, hire it done. They generally come out right at twilight.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
that looks heavy duty. i'll ask the dumb question.....how is the outer pipe connected to the inner pipe?

if you screened the outer pipe, is there any chance debris could build up and block water flow to inner pipe?

GSF are people too!

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
DD1, Agreed.

DIED - The outer Pipe had cross braces which were welded to the inner pipe.

As the water level water rises up under the bottom of the outer pipe and drains down into the small drain pipe. The inner pipe is slightly higher than the bottom of the outer pipe. In the picture you can see the normal water level ring, it is slightly lighter color. The water would rarely go over the top, only in a flood situation. Since the water drains by coming under the outer pipe - there is really nowhere for the debris to catch. BUT – Those beaver can clog up anything if they have a desire to do so…

BigLuke – The beavers may decide they like your pond well enough to make it home and start digging in your banks/dam. They make an awful mess. I will post pictures this week as I had to hire a backhoe for dam repairs from my beaver problem. Best of luck to you.

Gator

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
FYI - I checked with the Texas Parks and Wildlife game biologist before evicting my beavers. He explained to me that they are considered a pest and that they (TPW) have a shoot on site policy for beavers. This may not apply to other areas of the country...

Gator

B
BigLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks guys.....keep em coming....I need all the help I can get against these little buggers.

B
BigLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Just bumping it up to see if anyone else has any ideas.....thanks again guys.

Q
Lunker
Lunker
Q
How close is the drain to the shore?(are you sure its beavers clogging it or just their floating debris). I recently saw a show of beavers as nusiances. It talked about building beaver proof fences around road culverts. They are attracted to the sound of running water and have an instinct to try and stop it. They also like building at perpendicular angles therefore fence built like a triangle not square to try and deter damming stream. I think the show was on Discovery channel.

15%er
B
BigLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The overflow pipe is about 10 feet from shore.

I've seen those types of fences built around drains but I would think that over time the beavers would just build up debris around the fence and clog it that way.

Thoughts?

B
B
Big Luke:

It is a little difficult to solve your problem without seeing your overflow device, but our organization (Beavers: Wetlands & Wildlife) highly recommends a pipe and cage method that is explained at our website: BeaversWW.org on the solution page. It is normally used for culverts and dams, but could be used for pond overflow devices. Check out our web page and then give us a call or send a photo via email: Owen@BeaversWW.org. We also have detailed instructions on making a pipe and cage system: written and DVD.

B
BigLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Bump......any other thoughts?

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all.....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Low Alkalinity