Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl
18,507 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,970
Posts558,046
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,548
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bobbss, Kanon M, Fishingadventure, Snipe, TanyaClick, Boondoggle), 516 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7234 02/15/05 12:58 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Okay, I've stocked my existing pond with 200 4-6" catfish. My fish supplier said catfish will surface feed with fish float when the water temp gets 55 degrees. If I understand that correctly, then I'm thinking there's no point in feeding everyday, now, just on the warmest periods. Am I right? Also, what kind of structure do I need to protect those catfish? I'm all but certain that there are no other fish in the pond other than the ones I put there, and when the pond was at its lowest level this summer, I observed no structure (no rocks, logs, debris.) The pond is actually a cow watering hole, but it's probably 6-8 feet deep and about a half acre. The banks are gradually sloped, no drop offs. There's remnants of grass around the bank area under the water from when the water was low. Do I need to add structure for protecting the fish? I'm concerned that cranes, geese, and ducks may eat them, even though no birds stayed on the pond before I added the fish. Will the birds come since the fish are there now? And if I add a spawning tube or a couple of old tires, how many should I add? I don't want to clutter the bottom of the pond because cows could walk into it, though I haven't seen them in the middle of it. They do walk into the shallow edges during the summer. I guess my big question is can I leave the pond as it is and just replenish the fish every year? That's probably the easiest way to handle matters. Thanks for the info.

#7235 02/15/05 02:30 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
A catfish only pond does not need structure.Most of the pros say to not provide spawning areas but to restock when needed. I would go ahead and start putting a little feed in to try and get them use to it, feed at the same place and same time daily till they get use to it. Right now the warmest part of the day is best.
You will be surprised the growth you will get this summer. Good eating this fall
Good luck

#7236 02/15/05 04:01 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Dusty,

Don't worry about ducks or geese, or even the occasional heron, but keep an eye out for the Cormorants...aka water turkeys. If you are on their flyway, they will find your pond and are very capable of completely cleaning you out of 4 to 6 inch fish. Once one scout bird finds you, then others quickly follow. They have been terrible in East Texas for me this year...maybe you aren't on their route, but keep an eye out for them. The migration back north should start in a couple of weeks or less and once they migrate out, no worry until the next fall.

#7237 02/15/05 11:45 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks, Bill. I'm glad to hear that I can simply re-stock. Sure makes the management easier. I'll start feeding on all the warm days.

Meadowlark, there's lots of cormorants near me, I'm close to a lake and they are abundant in the shallows there. I'm not sure how I can control them if they become a nuisance. Maybe I can rig a cannon like they have at the Dundee hatchery. It shoots a blank load randomly but periodically to scare off the predatory birds. Any ideas on how to build something like that?

#7238 02/16/05 09:57 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Your best bet, in my opinion, is to get the $12 Texas Cormorant permit and then protect your interests. I promise you, they will find your fish and they will eliminate them....if left to their desires. Like I said, once they find you and tell all their friends, it won't take long to clean you out. They eat about 2 pounds of fish per day per bird. Do the math and see what I mean.

I've tried fake owls, cars, scare crows, recordings, etc. The permit with enforcement is the best solution....or you can let nature take its course and have a fishless pond.

Another word on this subject...those who do not have this problem are sometimes sympathetic to protecting the water turkey. I can understand that thinking....they just haven't seen the complete destruction these birds can cause to the fish owner.

#7239 02/16/05 01:21 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the info, Meadowlark. How long are they going to stay on that pond? And how often am I going to have to go down there and shoot them? I'll send my son, he'll love it. Will the fish eventually get large enough to not be bothered by them?

#7240 02/16/05 02:10 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dusty, you may want to try putting some structure in the deeper water for them to hide untill the water turkeys are gone and then pull it out. If you have cloudy water the turkeys will be more likely to leave you alone. My water is cloudier than it was a few years ago and I haven't seen a single bird this year.
Another thing I've noticed, is that the stomach contents of a few that I "found dead" were full of fatheads (the pink kind) instead of my catfish. Brightly colored, slow, and soft as opposed to dark, slow and spiney? It would be an easy choice for me. And fatheads would be a beneficial addition to your pond.

And if you feed your fish pretty good they will be too big for them next winter.

#7241 02/16/05 02:18 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
In East Texas, they start arriving in late October and early November. The migration back north usually begins about the end of February or early March.

While here, they have a home base, usually a lake with lots of dead trees to roost in and fish to eat. They send out "scouts" every day from the home base covering many miles. It is these "scouts" that you really have to watch out for, because they kiss and tell. If you don't get the "scout", it returns with its buddies and they in turn return with their friends.

This year I had a flock of at least 30 descend on my pond in mass. If you aren't there to defend your interests...well its good bye fish. Thirty birds, two pounds of fish per day per bird, you can see why I dislike them so much.

I have seen them eat small bass up to one pound to a pound and a half. I have seen them completely eliminate the BG. In one pond with some very large BG, they slashed them with their beaks when they couldn't swallow them. Small catfish are particularly vulnerable. Just ask a professional grower.

In short, they are a pond owners worst nightmare. Count yourself lucky if you can escape them or can fight back.... and please don't tell me about protecting them.

#7242 02/16/05 02:30 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
BrianH,

Structure....I've seen my fish cower under my docks to hid from the water turkeys. Literally, as many fish as could get under my dock/pier. I have lots of structure...sure it helps but it does not stop the predation. Large fish can escape, true, but they will have their battle scars. Off color water also helps, but if you have 3 or 4 acres of clear water, it isn't easy nor practical to add color.

Maybe I am just especially blessed with these birds, I don't know, but I can tell lots of true stories of their predation. As you can probably tell, it is a frustrating story for me and I hope all, including Dusty, never have to see their fish wiped out.

#7243 02/16/05 02:51 PM
H
H
Where i live in Missouri I see them come thru during early duck season.Always wondered when I was hunting what it would be be like to drop one of those big fellas

I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts retrieving ducks.
http://geocities.com/h20fwlkillr/
#7244 02/16/05 03:09 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys. I'm going out today and throw some structure in the middle of the pond. The water is cloudy so maybe the c's haven't found them yet. I'll tie rope to the structure so that I can pull it out in a few weeks. I'll probably throw an old tire and a Christmas tree in. Thanks for the help. Hope my pond doesn't get waylaid by a bunch of foul birds, but my son sure is going to be happy to have permission to shoot something. He didn't harvest many dove this year, his aim isn't very good.

#7245 02/16/05 11:31 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I went to the pond this afternoon and scared away two ducks. At least I hope they were ducks. They looked like ducks and flew like ducks, but they could have been those dastardly c's meadowlark is talking about. Should I be worried? I saw no sign of my fish, but the pond is full and I'm guessing those little creatures are bedded down somewhere in the middle. I released about 800 minnows with the catfish, but I've seen no sign of the minnows either. Do the minnows stay in the shallows or will they head for deeper water, too?

#7246 02/17/05 09:22 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Probably no worry. If they were long necked birds diving under water...then you should worry. Also, no worry about your fish. When the water warms and especially if you start feeding you will begin to see them.

#7247 02/17/05 10:36 AM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Dusty,
Sounds like your pond is near Lake Arrowhead or Kickapoo...or somewhere in that neighborhood. You are on the western edge of a cormorant flyway. They are black birds, long neck, hooked beak. They dive and eat. Since you stocked fingerling catfish, odds are they are too small to be intriguing to water turkeys, and nearby lakes offer better food. But, watch out for these dastardly fish eaters and encourage their further travel, away from your pond. Catfish are easy, and inexpensive to raise. They don't necessarily need cover and will come to floating fish food, once temperatures rise a bit. Typically, around Wichita Falls, those temps are close to "right" by the second week of March. Berend Bros. sells the best fish food in your area.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#7248 02/17/05 11:10 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Bob,

Where does the eastern edge of the flyway extend to? I wonder if I'm right in it cause I'm over run with these birds....in the Livingston/Lufkin area

#7249 02/17/05 11:41 AM
Lunker
Lunker
You are in the middle. As a matter of fact, some double crested cormorants winter along the upper Texas gulf coast, so you might be blessed with them all winter from time to time. The eastern edge of the flyway goes to Florida.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#7250 02/18/05 12:43 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks, Bob. That's exactly where I am, southeast side of Lake Arrowhead. The last couple of days, I've scared a pair of ducks off the pond. They seem to have taken up residence there. When I drive out to my place, I see lots of cormorants on the lake. That was why I was worried. If the ducks don't eat too many of these catfish, I'll leave them alone. Do I have to worry about these two ducks? I actually bought my fish in the parking lot of Berends. The seller told me to buy fish float there in the store because the fish would grow faster and the food provides a better flavor of fish, too. I'm taking his word for it. He also told me it would take about 5 days of steady feeding to train the fish to come to the food. I'll feed on warmer days for now, and start feeding daily in March as you suggested. Thanks for the info.

#7251 02/18/05 05:51 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dusty, ducks rarely eat fish. They prefer salad.

#7252 02/21/05 02:38 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
That's good to hear, Dave. You can tell how little I know. I went out yesterday to the pond and saw some of the catfish feeding at the surface, collecting bugs I'm guessing. Anyway, it was encouraging to see some movement in the water. I do have turtles in there also. Should I worry about them? What about turtle traps. I've heard you can make an effective turtle trap by putting nails slanted in a board.

#7253 03/09/05 02:12 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just thought I'd add this for anyone reading the forums and checking this discussion out on a catfish only pond. I've started the feeding process. I've read on here in other forums about 'training' the fish to eat. I figured it would be quick and easy. Nope. Those fish aren't eating their supper. I may have to spank everyone of them if they don't straighten up and eat right. From reading other posts, I've decided to not to try to feed too much (I have a tendency to get a little gung-ho in slinging the pellets into the water.) In a few more days, when the water temp raises a few more degrees and stablizes pretty good there, I'm thinking these fish will start to nibble on the food. I'm trying to ring a dinner bell for them, too. Anybody have a good dinner bell for catfish?

#7254 03/09/05 03:45 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Have you all read the thread on Feeding Blue cats?? Have any of you guys had your blues to eat pellets?

#7255 03/09/05 11:57 PM
R
R
Dusty just stocked my pond this winter. My catfish are eating good. The best dinner bell I've found has been a Stren Aqua Pro feeder. When it goes off they come a runnin.

Richard
#7256 03/10/05 07:21 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dusty, Turtles are a pain in the butt. However, they don't do a lot of damage. If you don't like them use a 12/22 on them. That's a 12 year old with a 22 rifle. Where are you in North Central Texas?

#7257 03/10/05 08:54 AM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I've been throwing feed in, and all I see for it is the swelled pellets along the water's edge. As Bob pointed out, the temps should be good for feeding next week. Things are already warming up around here. I'll definitely check out the auto feeder because I tend to get lazy after the new wears off.
Dave, I'm near Bluegrove. I found me a spot that still has some grandaddy oaks and I built me a house. About the time those fish get big, I'll be retired and able to play and fish every day.

#7258 03/10/05 08:57 AM
D
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
big_pond,
I read the thread, but I stocked channel cats so I don't know about the blues. Of course, maybe my supplier gave me blues instead and maybe that's why they aren't feeding. I did get one albino in the mix. Does he count as a blue or a channel?
Dusty

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 04/29/24 10:58 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 04/29/24 09:41 PM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:18 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food