Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, catscratch, Pat Williamson), 1,374 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
tecman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I'm going to start thinning out the 10" - 12" LMB in my pond. That may be a little small for eating but that's what I have, and lots of them.

What are your favorite recipes and/or cooking methods?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm not an expert chef and am anxiously awaiting the answers to this thread. I will say however, that when I've eaten LMB in the past my favorite size were 10-12 inchers. Mmmm, Mmmmmm!

Actually I'll tell you how I cook most fish when I want to do it quick. I buy a product called Chuck Wagon onion right mix. I soak the filets in milk, dip them in the mix and deep fat fry in canola oil. \:\) I'm sure LMB would be very tasty this way.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Get a propane burner and a cast iron skillet, set the empty skillet over the flame and let it get as hot as possible. Dip your fillets in melter butter, set them on a plate and coat both sides heavily with cajun blackened seasoning. Cook outdoors, this makes a LOT of smoke. Fillets that size will take 30 seconds to 1 minute each side...or less. I've had friends comment that it's the best fish they've ever eaten, one even asked if he could have my container of seasoning ! I said yes, we were actually eating a 6 lb. catfish that he put in my pond in late 2004 at 1 lb. (that took about 2-3 minutes each side) 1st predator in my pond, 1st out...FIFO ;\)

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Fished the Boundary Waters in May and this was the recipe that "Sue the Guide" used for our shore lunches of pike, smallies, and walleye...
In a large plastic bag, mix 1 cup of pancake mix, 1 cup of corn meal, 1 tbsp. of salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, and chopped parsley. Dip filets in water, then drop them in the bag and shake until coated. Cook in 1/8" to 1/4" of corn or peanut oil until browned...
It was delicious, especially if you add sides of creamed corn, baked beans, and cole slaw (although my brother and I almost blew poor Sue off the boat by late afternoon \:o )...

Carl Spackler: "This place got a pool?"
Ty Webb: "Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you..."
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I like Bass Pro's Uncle Buck's Light & Crispy fishmeal. Just soak the fillets in milk/egg mix and roll them in the fish meal. Heat your cooking oil to 350* and drop in the fish. Give them a minute or two and they will be done. If you use a turkey fryer it won't be but a matter of seconds before the fillets are done. Enjoy!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I found a excellent recipe for Bass/sunfish/crappie fillets. I added some onion flakes to the mix also, and rather then grill it, I made the mixture and soaked the fish fillets a miniute, then baked them for 6 min on 450, then broiled it for like 2 min.

This was one of the best ways I ever had fish. Dont cheat out on the sesame oil...!

http://www.recipezaar.com/129408

Joey
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If you like spicy try adding a little zatarans liquid crabboil to the oil before frying,its great.Caution,go easy on the boil,it doesnt take much,however,cold beer will cool it off after its cooked.There is no such thing as a bad cook or recipe,only defective stoves.Wheres lunch?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
It would be great if these recipe's were added to this thread:
http://www.pondboss.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000756

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Keep in mind no fish fry should be without hushpuppies. :p

Lunker
Lunker
Speaking of hushpuppies, I need help with them. My wife has been known to fix them (using Zatarain's HP Mix) and while the taste is very good, they get all soaked full of oil while cooking. I have hypothesized that this would not be a problem if they were dipped in batter before deep frying. Is this correct, or is there another solution?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I like to cook mine by lightly browning onions and jalapenos. To them I had some well drained and thawed frozen spinach. When heated good, put in a baking dish. I lay the fillets on top of the spinach and bake until fish is almost flaky. At this point top the fillets with your favorite cheese, melt then eat.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
Speaking of hushpuppies, I need help with them. My wife has been known to fix them (using Zatarain's HP Mix) and while the taste is very good, they get all soaked full of oil while cooking. I have hypothesized that this would not be a problem if they were dipped in batter before deep frying. Is this correct, or is there another solution?
Theo, I have never tried the Zatarains, but if the oil is hot enough(350 or hotter) they should cook OK. Usually oil soaked means not hot enough. The best hushpuppies have mostly corn meal and just a little flour, add some chopped onion, add the milk or milk/egg just before cooking.
Hope this helps Oh yea, dip them small(spoon size) as they will swell up.

C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
Maybe we should have a topic file just for cooking fish and shellfish?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Maybe someone should start cooking and everyone can show up with cold bee... ,er, refreshments.

2 propane deepfriers

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
B
Encrusted. That's our latest way to cook fish. Here's how you do it. First get some fillets 8" or so and about a half inch of less. Thicker or smaller will require cooking time adjustments. The last we did was Tilapia fillets (but catfish, bass, BG, crappie, all work). First, I like to soak all fish in milk, or buttermilk. Your choice. This can be done for a couple of hours. Here we go. The coating (crust) we use is almonds. You can use other things such as course bread crust. Almonds are great. Get a couple of big handfuls of nuts. Chop them up with a food chopper, spice grinder, food processor, or blender. Don't turn into powder, but less than pea sized chunks. Oil a baking dish. Dip the fillets into flour, then into egg wash, then press into the almonds. Hey, we forgot to season. I like the blackening seasoning. Anyway, season quite a bit in the egg wash, flour, and almonds. You will have to experiment to get it right since everyone has their own flavor of spice they like. Put the fillets into the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes at a pre-heated oven (check to make sure they are browned and flaky, but don't over cook because they will be dry). This is a gourmet meal. Make it so with some fancy veggies, salad, and wine….

B
B
Oh, and of course beer. How could I forget...

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My favorite, heavy duty foil, 3 thin slices of lemon, topped with 3 thin slices of onion, topped with filet,then 3 more onion topped with 3 more lemon, a sprinkle of butter buds or a small pat of butter, fold/roll the foil to form an air tight seal and cook in 500 degree oven for 20 minutes or same time on a lidded barbeque grill, it needs high heat as it steams in it's own juices. You can add a sprinkle of dill, thyme or rosemary if you must, it all tastes great. Open the end of the foil pack and let the contents slid out onto the plate, juice and all.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build