Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,244
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,567
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
11 members (lafarmpondguy, Boondoggle, FishinRod, x101airborne, shooterlurespond, TEC, 4CornersPuddle, cb100, brians, Bigtrh24, JoshMI), 924 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Hello, All.

Thought I would share some of the fun. Just recently was lucky enough to buy one of my neighbor's places, which added some acreage and a new 1/4 acre pond to the mix. I took the family out there on Saturday and we fished for about an hour. 20 bluegill and two happy daughters later, we gave up due to the heat. These girls really kept me busy baiting their hooks. Water looks stained in the pictures, but you could actually watch the bluegill hit the bait! Pond seems to be full of 4 - 6 inch bluegill. We did see a few 8 - 12 inch bass swim by, but the bass weren't biting.

Here's a pic of the new pond.

Here's a pic of my 6 year old daughter.

Here's a pic of my 10 year old daughter (my hunting buddy!)

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Nice pond and some good times with the family doesnt get any better than that.Its hot over here too i am fixing to go take a splash in the pool.

You can pay more but you cant buy better.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Absolutely outstanding, Gary. The epitome of priceless!
Give us more on the "huntin' buddy" story.

G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Brettski,

My oldest has been hunting with me for the past 3 seasons. She's a great companion, and can sit as long or longer than I can.

I've started her on pellet guns and .22s, completely supervised. She's a pretty good shot, but has not yet shown interest in actually shooting an animal. She's been with me when I've shot deer and turkey, and has always been excited by the hunt. But, mostly, we just watch the animals and enjoy spending some quality time together.

My youngest is not capable of sitting still for longer than 30 seconds. We'll see how she does during this year's hunting season.

I bought the original land about 8 years ago, and it's been the best investment that I have made, both as an increase in value, and most importantly, our use of it as a family. When the opportunity came earlier this year to buy my neighbors place... it was a no brainer. Unfortunately, I have only 8 more years until college expenses start hitting, so unless something changes, that may be when I need to sell!!

If I could only make a living out in the country, I would live there in a heartbeat. We are 90 miles from the farm, so it is a weekend thing for us.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good story, Gary...thanks for sharin' it.
 Quote:
If I could only make a living out in the country, I would live there in a heartbeat.
....this has been in my "top ten dilemnas of life" for many, many years.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Gary,

Loved the family pictures and your weekend warrior approach. We've been doing that approach for many years and don't have a single regret. Both worlds, city and country, have positive things to offer, especially for the kid's to experience.

C
C
Gary ... Colleyville is close to Grapevine, right? Between BassPro and Cabela's? He he.

That new pond looks like it might be a spot for wood ducks and mallards. Are you a duck hunter?

G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Cappy,

BassPro and Cabela's are way too close... both are only 20 minutes away. I can't go there, way too dangerous.

I've never been much of a duck hunter... I've always loved deer hunting, and have recently become hooked on spring turkey hunting, as well. Fact is, I bought my farm mainly for hunting 8 years ago, and am just now getting into the pond and fishing stuff. I recently had one of my ponds re-done (September last year). It is only half full (half empty?). I'm messing around with the two 1/4 acre ponds just for fun, but I'm really looking forward to the big pond, once it is full and ready to go. It should be between 1 and 1.5 acres when full... big enough for some big bass.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
My First
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 10:20 PM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by TEC - 05/04/24 09:58 PM
Little update and a question on harvesting
by Boondoggle - 05/04/24 08:56 PM
What made this noise?
by shooterlurespond - 05/04/24 07:58 PM