Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
My new pond project was completed yesterday at noon. It is 4.7 surface acres,14.5 ft deep at the dam. I added two earthen piers to remove more dirt and get depth at the middle section of the pond. I also had a future house pad build next to the pier with the best view point of the lake. The dam took 20K yards and is wide enough to have the drive way cross it. The Pier has been started but work stoped when my post hole auger decided to find china and the shear pin failed. 400$ later I have a new auger and drive line. Hope to finish getting the pier post in this weekend. Plan to also start adding more fish structure. I'm going to use tires and concret block. I can't believe how cheap they still are. As I mentioned before the pond has a 300 acre watershed. I have built a smaller silt catch pond above the main one per advise I got here at PB. Thanks for everyones help and I will post again if it ever rains and fills it up. I would like to share pic's but my website is down for a while. If anyone who knows how to post the pic's here to share with everyone and would be so kind please email me and I will send them. thanks to all again.
Rocky

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Lunker
Lunker
Congrats, RT!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rocky T...I'm losin track of your pond progression. I thought you just finished one (actually 2...one below the other)...? Whassup? Have you been reading the Meadowlark guide to pond ownership...as long as there's diesel, there's another one waitin' to be dug?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Congratulations, RT. See if your local Junior College is giving Rain Dance lessons.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Brettski, I thought I cleared the mud on this issue via e-mail. The pic's I sent you are the ponds at my home place which almost dried up during the drought. I dug a large amount of the silt and additional areas out of them with my new kubota. The water fall/spillway was also existing but I improved it because my original was washing out. Rocks and concrete to thin etc.. The new 5 acre pond is on some additional property we own. I am presently farming it and raising hay for my cattle. This new pond and property is an investment which I plan to sale in the future when I'm thru with the improvements. As for Meadowlark he don't belief in pipes thru the dam and I just spent 8 grand on one. Other than that yes if I had a dozer I would follow in his foot steps. I considered buying one for this project but I believe it is to big a job for a beginner. Actually 25 years sense I operated a dozer.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by rockytopper:
The Pier has been started but work stoped when my post hole auger decided to find china and the shear pin failed.
Rocky,

Got a great laugh on that one because I've been there and done that...somewhere on Meadowlark ranch, sometime in the far distant future, someone will discover a totally buried auger out in the middle of nowhere on the ranch and wonder, "what in the world is that thing doing here in the ground?"

When the bit catches in clay and you aren't ready, there is no way to get it out without heroic measures...a new bit is cheaper. \:\)

Yep, $8000 is the going rate for pipe installation...natural spillways you have to have anyway and last forever.

Sincere congrats on your pond! I hope you and yours have many many years of enjoyment out of it.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
rockytopper - Send the photos to me and I will give you hand to get them posted. I have a 5 acre pond too, in Minnesota.

If you want you them posted @ www.rockytoppers.com, I will need your ftp password.
If there aren’t too many, I will post them on my site, no problem.

I am not known as the resident Forum nerd, though some have thought it, especially Theo Gallus who once called a spatial oddity or something like that!

I have a post on the forum about a structure anomaly that happened to me. The auger problem is a sample of the cool things that could happen on your pond. Most won’t be that expensive……

This pond management thing is so much fun that it surpasses cruising in my 1959 Desoto Sportsman 2 door hardtop and it is a whole lot more unpredictable!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Doh! musta been overwhelmed by the "Incredible filling pond" episode. You did, indeed, clear the mud...it landed between my ears.
I hope Dwight can load up the pix. I too have a distinct interest in the thrill of a 5 acre'ish water feature. The $ figures sound kinda familiar, too.

Lunker
Lunker
Dwight:

I don't recall that incident - maybe it was "Evil Theo" :rolleyes:

ML:

You have inspired a T-Shirt design:

"I got my auger out!" \:D

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Rockytopper,

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

Like the movie line from Josey Wales, you're not hard to track, you leave ponds where ever you go..

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Theo Gallus – you may recall (or not): It was that “three sore backs” thread that I so innocently posted, hoping for some knowledgeable input.

The thread was hijacked and transformed into that quantum singularity convergence discussion with ewest, Dave Willis, Sunil, …….., you know that crew!

Actually it was Sunil who said, “You guys are far more geekier than I”, so I apologize for blaming you for calling me a spatial oddity (though it sounds OK to me).

You may get a good laugh at this post, if you haven’t seen it already: http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=002661, another thing that went a little off track.

Your reef comment still haunts me: “One puff of this demon reef will instantly transform a fish into a violent, cackling reef freak, twitching insanely with manic energy and ready to murder your baits and lures with mad abandon.”

What more needs to be said? ;\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ahh, Josey Wales....

"You got anything to eat in there?"

"All I've got is this piece of hard rock candy.
But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through."

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Josey Wales....from the Indian Chief, one of the greatest lines of all time....

"We endeavor to Persevere "

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
From Chief Dan George:

I never surrendered. My horse surrendered.

No offence meant. None taken.

Now spit.

My favorite movie of all time.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
He also said "Dying ain't much of livin boy"

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Do you know "Rose of Alabamy"?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
approximate conversation

by Chief Ten Bears - Your words of death are true - there in your irons, here in mine-- so to your words of life are also true -- it will be life (cut hand)

by JW -- I reckon so (cut hand)

both - cut hands joined by blood

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Favorite Movies (in no specific order):

The Outlaw, Josey Wales
The Thing (John Carpenter's)
Weird Science
Predator
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Congrats Rockytopper - sounds like you have a better plan than most...hope she fills up fast. I will email and post the pics for you.

Greatest western of all time...Lonesome Dove

Gus, "eeeyyyyeeee God Woodrow!"

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
(posted for Rockytopper - nice pics RT, I really like the panoramic picture)

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
You did good RT! You did really good!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Boy, that pond is going to hold a huge gulp of Texas rain... if any ever comes. Good luck!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...JEESH, which end of the pipe does the hydro-electric turbine install? Are the poles in pic #2 for the high-tension wires or a pier? ;\) V impressive, Rocky T....good stuff!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
(....oh yeah, almost forgot)
 Quote:
"...But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"
"Dirty" Harry Callahan

C
C
And just when we all started to believe that every pond is unique... It's a little spooky.

Rockytopper's 5-acre Texas pond

Captain Compulsive's 5-acre Texas pond

(with some water)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM