Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,812
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Fishingadventure, esshup, John Fitzgerald, Bill Cody, Waxaholic), 1,072 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
The only problem I would see with Chain link is that it would collect fishing lures! I'm not sure how long the metal would last, but it would probably be good for a few years at least. I like the snow fence idea, the longer, flatter slats might allow lures to de-snag better.

Shawn

M
M
Good thoughts. Thanks.

M
M
Question on the brushpiles that are suggested for cover. I have some hardwood tops down in my woods, of which I limbed quite a few of them. They have no leaves on them. I was going to tie a rope around a bunch of limbs that are about 8 to 9 feet long, and position piles along the bank of my pond to extend out into the water. Is this the right way to do this with brushpiles, or should I take them out to deeper water and sink the? I want cover for my golden shiners when I stock them as well as fish fry. Just hope I'm not adding a lot of troublesome organics. I also plan on making wire fence "pilings" and placing them upright in various places to allow the small fish to go in and out of them. Are there any depth suggestions or nearness to shore requirements? Thanks for your advice

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Current placement of brushpiles is best for small fish cover / hiding places. For the vertical fence cylinders, I think clustering them together in large groups will be the best arrangement. Placed individually willnot provide much of a refuge area. Depth for fence columns should be just so tops are under water no more than 12"-18"; shallower is better. Sounds like you are making lure "grabbers". However I think "no fishing" areas are very beneficial in ponds.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
M
Thank you very much, Bill, for responding. So far I have laid down five brush piles in various places along the banks of my pond and hope to get all sides of the pond done this month (it has six sides since it is L-shaped like a boot). They look like a bunch of limbs that have naturally fallen into the water extending out about 8 to 9 feet. I agree with you that they should be good places for my shiners and fry to hide. I will be making my wire mesh fence pilings in my garage this week and hope to get them into the pond, soon for added small fish refuge. I will follow your advice on the clsuter approach. Yes, they will be lure grabbers, but at least I know where they will be at and so will my invited guests. The uninvited may end up donating their lures to me. Seriously, though, I do want to have some areas for fish development as you mentioned and hope they will work. A $50.00 experiment
Thanks again!!

R
R
Could anyone post some ideas not to try from experience so newbies like myself don't make mistakes.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
The very best structure we can have in our lakes in that which can be carved into the bottom of our lakes. Mike Otto has shown some excellent ideas in his articles. Having a backhoe making a series of ridges and channels or flats and basins really provide the best structure.

Norm Kopecky
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Stay away from fresh oak. Too much tannin. Also, if your water level varies, expect natural materials to rot from exposure to air.

I have been working over a 20 acre pond after the drought of 99. The dam was leaking and had 90 years of mesquite growth. Using a skidloader with tree shear and grapple attachments was able to make several long brush piles from the deep part of the channel up to normal level. Bait fish and bass hang in these as the water level fluctuates through the year. For the most part these piles have stayed together, the drift will collect on the down wind side at the high water mark. Last week I caught a 4.6 lb bass that was stocked 20 months ago.

J
J
Back when I was gathering up rubble for my pond I used to have in PA (described here, http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=003610) I got a lot of it delivered right to the side of my pond for free.

Here is what I did, when ever I saw a project going on near my place I would stop and talk to the foreman. Most were quick to say, sure take what you want but I actually as I said often got it delivered for free. How you ask? The art of the deal my friends. Goes like this.

Me - So if I don't take this stuff where are you halling it to?

Foreman - County Landfill or County Dump, etc.

Me - really how far is that?

Foreman - About 18 miles

Me - My place is only 5, 6, 7 whatever miles away. Wouldn't it cost you less to drop it at my place?

That is so often all it takes if you show a person how doing something for you is better for them often they will do it. A few looked at me like I was crazy but talking 4 people into delivering several tons of concrete, stone and cinderblocks was a lot less work then talking to a few more and doing all the halling myself.

One more suggestion don't drive a truck when you try to cut these deals if they see a car your success goes up. Some would call this being shifty I just consider it being smart. Honestly if a guy can hall less distance it saves him money, he wins and you do to. Nothing shifty about that at all,

Jack Spirko
www.jackspirko.com
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Here's a new idea for pond structure:

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sue :

Is that an airplane in the bottom of that pond ? If so it would be easy to put there but hard to survive. The gas and oil might be a problem. \:D

Lunker
Lunker
They make great Golden Shriner structure!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
The pond belongs to a customer of mine who is in the aviation business in Texas. It is a lot of fun for his kids to dive and explore the jet. He put it in place when he constructed the pond.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Very unique.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows