Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,991
Posts558,272
Members18,517
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,575
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
2 members (tim k, H20fwler), 664 guests, and 187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Hello,

My dad just bought a new property and it has a 50 acre lake on it. The property down the road from us stocked there lake a while back and there is a creek that runs from there property to our property. When it rains, that creek gets full and all the fish swim down the creek into our lake. Our lake is overstocked with fish. We have alot of bass and crappie maybe a few cats too havent tried fishing for tehm yet. Only been crappie and bass fishing out there once and everyone I caought looked unhealthy, you could tell it was overstocked. I want to do something to help out the fish for food and cover. I am not sure what to do though. I am thinking about finding a cheap fish feeder and put it out on the dock and feed them so all the fish will get food. Anyone know of one or someone who is getting rid of one please let me know. What do you guys think this will do to the fish? Also I want to give the fish some cover for spawning, etc. It is all open with no tree or anything. What should I do to make some shade and cover for the fish? I thought about cutting some of the trees down out there and putting them in the water around the shore lines. What do you think this will do for the fish? Help or not? If you have any suggestions on what to do with this lake property please let me know. We are overloaded with fish and not everyone can eat, and all the fish I have caught out of there are all beat up and small. Any suggestions?

Thanks Robert

Lunker
Lunker
Robert:

This is a big order, as you must know since you posted it in three sections. You might want to consider editting the posts under feeding and creating sturcture to leave just the portions pertinant to those sections.

Since you just got the property, and since 50 acres is a lot of water, my first advice is to determine as much as you can about all the different kinds of fish you have in there. What are the different species? What forage species do you have - in addition to bass and crappie, are there any bream/sunfish? How about shiners, minnows, or shad? Rough fish like common carp? What weight/length ("relative weight") do the bass and sunfish have?

This information can come from fishing (my favorite source), asking the previous owner (if available), netting/trapping, or a professional electroshocking survey. The last method will cost some money, but 50 acres is a lot of water to try to get info from by yourself - I would certainly price out how much electroshocking would cost if it were me. Also, if the owner(s) of the big lake upstream from you know what all they have, you'll know what all can (and will, sooner or later) wash into your lake.

What part of the country are you in? That helps the experts here tailor advice to you climate and circumstances.

What are your goals for the lake (the Greg Grimes Memorial Question)? Trophy Bass? Big Crappie? Jumbo catfish? Big bream? Or a balanced fishery with the chance to catch nice fish from several species?

50 acres is probably too much water to make a big difference in just by adding a couple of feeders (although you CAN have a localize impact on fish conditions near the feeders). I think you should take a step back and develop a good picture of what's going on in your lake and develop a comprehensive plan to improve it towards your specific goals.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the help. I am going to try and find a profesional to do a suvey on it. If you know anyone that would help. I live in Fort Worth,TX.

My goal for this lake is to have big bass and crappie and maybe a few catfish. ALL helathy.

Yes I posted it under 3 sections because I wasnt sure where to post it at and those 3 looked the best. Sorry

Robert

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Robert :

Call Bob Lusk at the Pond Boss office.

Profile for Bob Lusk Rate Member 5: Highest R
Member Status: Pond Boss Staff
Member Number: 3
Email Address: pondboss@texoma.net
Homepage: http://www.pondboss.com
Interests: outdoors, pond mud.
Birth Date: March 28, 1955

800-687-6075

H
OP Offline
H
Anyone ever had a survey done by Bob? If so does anyone know a price range it cost to have an electroshocking survey? Never had one so I wouldnt know.

C
C
Or, you can call Todd Overton, www.overtonfisheries.com.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Look at this post or go to the link.

Lake Vilbig - Al Kohutek
Lunker
Member # 374

Member Rated:
posted October 12, 2005 03:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had Pond King do our shock survey in the year 2000. I met Brad a tackle show and he gave me a deal on the survey that I could not refuse.

He did a great job for us. See the following link off our website.

http://www.lakevilbig.org/survey2.htm

5 years later, Bob Lusk performed our 2005 survey (April 2, 2005). He also did an excellent job for us. See the following link off our website.

http://www.lakevilbig.org/survey6.htm

We have posted all our lake surveys on www.lakevilbig.org

Bob is a straight shooter and will not try and sell you something that you do not need.

Both Brad and Bob are good choices.

I hope this helps

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
My First
by H20fwler - 05/06/24 04:29 AM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by BarkyDoos - 05/05/24 11:33 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 11:23 PM