Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#65171 02/18/06 12:37 PM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks Bob.
Our conversation got me a long way down the road to setting up a plan. You were a great help and have considerable knowledge. I will begin to lay this to paper today so I can submit to our fledgling fishing club. The stocking rates will be the 1st order of business and I will start to collect some water analysis data this month.
As I mentioned, we actually have 2 lakes in the community. The larger lake is 60 acre and averages 8-9' depth with a deep end near 20' near the dam where excavation took place. The smaller lake is 35 acre with an average depth of 12-15' depth and deep end near 35' near the dam. Both lakes have shallow mitigation wetlands built right into the lakes where aquatic wetlands plants will be grown. These should provide good nursery areas for baitfish.
I will e-mail you a couple of pdf files showing the bigger lake design. Feel free to drop by anytime you are in the area and I will take you fishing. I would also like to get a rate sheet from you on management services you might be able to provide such as electrofishing etc. We will need to start to lay out our operating budgets, and having some cost information will help us do that

Mike
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
To everyone...Mr. Spinhirne called this morning, and we had a 45 minute telephone visit. Essentially, I suggested he follow the formula below.
1. Establish well thought out goals. At some point, the fish/lake committee will need to justify decisions they have made, and those they need to make. Good goals make a long term plan possible.
2. Understand management options, in order to decide what level or degree of managment you want. No management? Then stock moderately and wish the fish luck. Mid-line management, maybe stock basic fish, fertilize from time to time? More intensive management? Stock, fertilize, feed? Or intensive management? Heavy stocking, fertilization, water quality monitoring, good records, weighing and measuring fish regularly, steady feeding program, regular electrofishing? Once you know what management levels you intend, and set some deadlines, a five year management strategy is appropriate. Once that plan is defined, and you have peace with it, build the budget, based on tasks, products and services you need.
3. With good ideas of 1. & 2., get into the fisheries management business. Evaluate the habitat of your lake, and make sure it fits the fish you intend to stock. HABITAT. Then, make crucial decisions about food chain. Largemouth bass need approximately ten pounds of baitfish to grow a pound. Food chain is important. You have to have the best species, the right sizes, the right numbers, all for a fair price. FOOD CHAIN. Next up, genetics. Since trophy bass management is a big goal of this group, Florida strains of largemouth bass are key. Learn as much about them, F1's and native northern largemouth as you can. It will make for the best decisions. GENETICS. Last, but not least is the concept of harvest. At first, catch and release is the order. But, once your originally stocked game fish begin to reproduce and grow into the 10-12" range, those fish will need to be selectively harvested. HARVEST. Those are the big four concepts of fisheries management.
4. Prepare to deal with the politics of the biology of managing a subdivision lake. Make rules, establish bylaws, and communicate with the board of directors. Always remember the HOA BOD. A board typically changes every three years, and if you don't have good records and a good plan, at some point your plan will be gut-shot. And, when you are eight years into a trophy bass lake, you don't want someone coming into your plan and making drastic changes.
So, there's your starting points. Once you decide what you want, think about a consultant. It may be your fish supplier, it may not. Find someone you are comfortable with, who can give you common sense answers for important questions. Compare the different fish prices, sizes, quality, etc. and make good decisions. Spend some time on this site. It is invaluable and you will get lots of information. Go get 'em.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Point 4 means carefully documenting the agreed on goals in step one. It's called playing defense.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I think we have a plan in motion. The next step is to have the plan reviewed, adjusted, and then let Bob review for comments.
I am looking forward to getting our lunker pond established.

Mike
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Bob Lusk,
Give me a call. We are trying to get the final quote ( I need three to satisfy the board) for stocking the forage fish. I want to get your recommendations and prices so we can select supplier and get fish in the next 2 weeks.
936-689-0689

Did my e-mails go through?

Mike
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
M. Spinhirne, Lusk travels a lot and does not always get to check the forum.

Call the Pond Boss office at 1-800-687-6075 and leave a message there, and send an email to pondboss@texoma.net

Bob also has a cell number, but he'd have to give you that number.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM