Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,319
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
5 members (dcwandj, JoshMI, BarkyDoos, canyoncreek, Augie), 1,034 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61605 12/10/05 08:28 AM
R
Russ Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Bob,

Without having a single clue what goes into the preparation of the PB magazine and with the recent life altering experience you've been through, I had a thought I'd like to throw out to you and the other readers.

Looking at this solely from a time saving perspective, (I'm sure you are dealing with a whole host of other problems that could use more of your time) would it be beneficial to you to dedicate one issue of PB magazine to just pictures of PB member's ponds, mugs shots, great fishing photos, etc.

I would think even if a small sample of the PB membership mailed in some photos, you would have enough material to put together an issue.

Just a thought....

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Russ, as you have mentioned I have know idea either how much time Bob spends on the magazine but I certainly agree with what you have said. I think it would give Bob time to deal with his reacent issues and with Christmas almost here it would allow him time with his family during the holiday season. I think it would be interesting to see pictures of other ponds. This would also show all of our support during this time.I think its a good idea myself.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
If it is just pictures of our ponds, it could be a wonderful thing.

If we allow pictures of our ugly mugs, it could be a very, very sad issue.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Does Theo get multiple pictures? :rolleyes:

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
You guys are cold \:\)

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
As nice as the all picture magazine would be for all of us, it would still require almost as much of Bob's time to do this - I know from a previous life in that kind of work. As painfull as it would be to us, I think we should just let him skip an issue, unless he's already too far into it, and can't "stop the presses".

Just do it...
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
An all picture issue is not a bad idea. I am sure that the photo sender could add a few words that describe each photo.

I have no idea if it would save much time putting it together. I wouldn't think compiling photos would take as much time as writing and creating several entire stories for each issue. Just searching for the appropriate photos is time consuming. C.Baird, B.Condello, D.Willis and I are working on upcoming articles for PB magazine and it seems pretty time consuming to me, especially if you are putting together an article that includes research data and technical information.

However as I recall Bob posted recently that he took a recent weekend to put together most of the Jan -Feb Issue of PB. So the next issue is basically complete. I am sure Bob is currently working on spring and summer issues.

If you would like to take & send a few photos of your pond and fish related photos with a letter describing the photos, I am sure the photos would be welcome and they my be useful in completing the remaining issues for 2006. Bob always welcomes reader input. This may evolve into a new section in PBoss magazine - Readers Photo Corner.

I am sure Bob will "weigh in" on this topic - stay tuned.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
All,
Putting the magazine together is a passion. I love it. It's mentally stimulating, it makes me think outside the box. It's challenging, but not overwhelming. Jan-Feb is finished, at layout right now, and we will have a pdf proof next week to look at for approval.
Here's basically how I do it. As I travel, I shoot lots of photos, and get material for stories. Essentially, I am multi-tasking, making a living as a fisheries biologist and consultant, collecting stories as I go. About three weeks out, I begin leaning on our growing stable of writers to get their work in. I collect everyone's stuff, put it in an electronic file. I have an editorial list, and when it's my turn, I set aside three days to write, edit, select photos and get everything ready for Jim Stroud. Office manager Kathy Reeves gets the ads ready, and we email all the text to Jim. We mail photos, either on a cd or hard copies. Then, we wait.
I would certainly be open to more photos. But, with more photos, we have fewer words. Part of my job is to balance editorial to advertising, and I like to keep the magazine from 55-60% content.
So, if there is interest in more photos, let's talk. Let me know what you think.
By the way, when someone's house burns down, it can become a consuming thing (so to speak), but you must continue a normal life. Dealing with the aftermath is a headache, but not nearly as bad as a whole region like Louisiana. My perspective seems to be fairly humble. I happened on a fatal car accident last weekend. It had just happened, less than a minute before I got there. Emergency workers weren't there, yet. The driver's side of the car was gone, the driver was sitting in his seat, motionless. Passersby were helping the passenger, a teenage girl. No one was attending the driver. At that moment, I prayed for both, and thanked God we had a house fire and all my people are alive. Later, on the news, they told of the wreck. The driver was killed. I'll take ten house fires instead of that.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
Does Theo get multiple pictures? :rolleyes:
One would be enough. I can Photoshop all of me together into one frame. :p

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You know, Theo, we haven't seen any good collage work in a while now.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
(The following thought may only work if Mr Lusk and PB re-work some of the software in the forum to remove the option of replies in the subject forum category....or some other similar brain-storming. If it works, it will make posters the editors and printers)

Perhaps a different twist to the same end may be creation of a PB forum category to be used only for pix. Each participant would create 1 thread with their name and title. All pix and pix albums will be highly encouraged to be "Links Only" to avoid lengthy "first page" downloads on each pondster's thread. If the member number could regulate the hierarchy of the threads as they appear? Yeah....I know.....fuggedaboutit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 05/07/24 12:10 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FireIsHot - 05/07/24 10:09 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday