Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,781
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
7 members (Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Sunil, Shorthose, phinfan, Rangersedge, Joe7328), 975 guests, and 215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#54307 05/25/05 07:12 AM
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm curious to know if any of you in the Midwest would be interested in a regional meeting sometime this summer '05.

Would something like Western Ohio or Central Ohio be a good location to get folks from MI, IN, IL, KY, OH, PA, WV, etc. to come out for a day and night?

Then we have to ask: What would we talk about?; Why would we meet?; What would we do?

If we had a central location, perhaps we could do a few pond visits.

Certainly it would nice to put names with faces and strengthen the cyber-friendships that we've been developing.

I'm not hell-bent on this, but it's just something I've wondered about.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've been thinking about the same thing around the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Trouble is, it would have to be on the weekend and a bunch of are hell bent to get out of town on weekends. Now, in August, thats a different story.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Consider me interested.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I'm in and would like to see fisheries/ponds.

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The lack of responses from the Midwest region is a little surprising, but no big deal really.

The forum is still the greatest thing.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think that Lincoln, Nebraska would be a good central meeting place. We're as middle of the road as you can get.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Lunker
Sorry Sunil, hay season is coming up.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
S
S
Sunil, sounds an idea if a good format could be devised. Might be a lot of work to put together if you are talking about presentations/field trips, etc. How about a fishing trip to Cecil's ponds?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
dave, you mentioned a meeting in dallas area. i would sure come.

darrell stringer

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Young:
Sunil, sounds an idea if a good format could be devised. Might be a lot of work to put together if you are talking about presentations/field trips, etc. How about a fishing trip to Cecil's ponds?
Just what I need! Some guys that are experts on fishing ponds fishing my ponds! \:D

Actually this sounds like fun maybe we should talk more about it.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Count me in with the Texas boys, I'm betting ponds are spread too thin for field trips, maybe we could rotate meetings, pond by pond \:\) Nothing big, fish for a couple of hours, BBQ, and go home \:\)

p.s. Nick, I owe you e-mail...and will respond eventually ! \:\) Seems like life has been kicking me in the crotch lately.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I personally would love to meet Bruce and see what he is doing at Lincoln.

Norm Kopecky
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Would also be interested in this idea, Ted NW Ohio

D
D
Aquatic Control (Pond Boss supporter) from Southern Indiana is having a Lake Management Workshop June 11 in Louisville Kentucky. The mailer I received says to contact them for directions and to RSVP at 1-800-753-Lake. It starts at 9:00 a.m. Is anyone from this forum planning to attend?

Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hope everyone had a safe/happy Memorial Day.

When I picture a meeting of forum members in my mind, it seems like more of a social thing. Certainly there could be an exchange of technical or experienced based information, but that seems to be covered here on the forum.

I also agree that it would be nice to see some of the ponds that the members have.

It could be as simple as dinner and drinks on a Friday or Saturday, and then go to someones pond the next day.

Dave C., Thanks for the heads up on the Louisville meeting. I won't be able to make it, but would love to hear highlights from those who end up going.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I would be very interested in talking to a few folks locally to find out what stategies are working for or against you in the same region of the country. My farm is located on the Texas/ Oklahoma border north of Dallas.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Being the Rookie in the group I would really appreciate an opportunity to share some time with all you pond guys. I would be willing to coordinate the whole thing in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I can get cheap hotel rooms, and free meeting rooms. I could put a package together very inexpensive. It would be worth my time and energy. I think for starters we could have some guest speakers like the Pond Boss and a few of you lunkers out there. I bet we could even line up some of the product suppliers. Lets see how much interest we get and I will put a package together for a Saturday/Sunday. Give me your feedback please. Gary "Pond Rookie"

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Greg Maybe YOU could set somthing up down here in the southeast!!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Rookie,

I think you would have a good turn out in the DFW area. There are a few things that I think you should consider...

1) Another Pond Boss member, Dave Davidson was wanting to have a DFW Pond Boss gathering...so you might want to talk to him and get some ideas of what he was thinking. Your combined efforts might yield greater results.

2) You also might want to consider timing especially if you are wanting guys like me that are in the business to show up and speak or give a presentation. This is the busiest time of the year for all of us that are in the pond and lake management business and I'm sure is true for the manufaturers of pond and lake products, too. If you are wanting to invite some of the professionals, you might want to wait to have your gathering in the winter months. Our pond and lake season in the DFW area is typically from February to late October (depending on how warm of a fall we have).

3. It may be a good idea to use part of the time at a pond or two looking at several different aspects of management, construction, renovation, etc. Hands on experience is always invaluable to have at a function like you are suggesting.

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to call or e-mail if you have any further questions or comments. See our website at www.pondmedics.com for contact information.

Thanks!

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Trent,
Thanks for the excellent feedback and I couldn't agree more. I will certainly follow up with Dave Davidson and see what we can come up with. I don't have a lot of pond experience but I do at setting up meetings/conventions. Hopefully we can start working toward something in January 06.
Thanks again, Gary Condo, PondRookie

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
pondrookie,

I'd like to encourage your efforts...it would be a fine thing.

By way of brainstorming, I'll throw out some thoughts...

1) We might want to give consideration to bringing in selected State guys who have been speaking at the Bass 101, Bass 102, conferences in Texas. We can find those contacts if there is interest. Much of their material is basic stuff, but it might be a good intro.

2)I encourage the inclusion of open panel discussions in which we can all share information.

3)I'd also like to throw out the idea of asking for and then reviewing presentation papers from actual pond owners that cover new things people are trying...I could make a list of those just from the forum posts. The selected papers would then form the agenda, in part. Really, there are some excellent topics that members right here are working on everyday. We could form a committe to review papers and make recommendations for inclusion as a presentation.

If we are going to pull this off, it will take a lot of detailed planning and time...I'm willing to invest both if there is interest.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
MeadowLark,
Thanks for your response. There is obviously a great deal of interest in putting something like this together. I think a good start would be to put together a planning committee of those interested in making an event like this happen. I have sent Dave Davidson an email to see if we can join forces. Your support would really be appreciated.

Anyone interested on being on a planning committee can send me their name and info to my personal email. Condohouse@aol.com.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Sounds good, would be willing to help.
E-mail djennings1@hotmail.com

Live in Weatherford -- Ponds in Desdemona

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Tentmaker is one of those who I would really like to see present a paper...on what they are doing and have done to improve the catchability of LMB.

N
N
Count me in for the DFW hoedown. We could do meet at a hotel. (Or) We could rent some area lake resort at a winter discount rate. (Texoma has some nice resorts.)

Nick Smith
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife
by Augie - 04/18/24 10:57 AM