Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy
18,517 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,995
Posts558,302
Members18,518
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,577
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
15 members (JoshMI, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Zep, catscratch, Joe7328, Knobber, Bill Cody, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, nvcdl, DrewSh, DPSMESA, Sunil, cgoetz1), 1,024 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51845 02/20/05 11:30 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi All

I am new to the forum, and I want you to know that I used the "search" function before I asked this question, but I found nothing on topic.

There is a pond in my subdivision that is over 50 yrs old, and the local developer is draining it to build up the dam and fill in part of the shallow parts on the far end. It is a large pond, over an acre, and the part was over 12 ft deep. Last year a 14 lb bass was caught there.

My question is, I would love to save some of the larger fish and release them in another pond. I think it is a shame that so many of the fish are going to die. The contractor has made no provision for their relocation.

Can someone suggest the best way to remove the fish from the pond? My thoughts are to seine the deepest part once the water is low enough, although I have no experience at all in these matters.

Thanks

Jonathan

#51846 02/21/05 08:18 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a recommendation. Contact the Texas Fish and Wildlife Service at Athens, Texas. They have a captive breeding program. When a fisherman catches a 13 pound or larger LMB, he can donate it to the Share-A-Lunker program. The fish is usually kept at a marina or baitshop or? The state biologist in charge of the program travels to the lake and picks up the fish. He or others with the program ought to be able to advise you.

#51847 02/21/05 11:31 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Great suggestion Dave - thanks so much.

Today I was in touch with Bass Pro Shops who have agreed to come down and take any large fish we pull out (Crappie, Bream, Bass, etc) and they are alot closer, so I am going to work them for now. They will also take any bass over 5 lbs. as opposed to the TX program which only takes bass over 13 lbs.

Any additional feedback is welcome of-course.

Thanks again

Jonathan

#51848 02/21/05 04:50 PM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Handling fish will be trouble. A pond so old is likely to be silt filled. Walking through thigh deep silt is akin to traipsing through a bowl of pudding. If you get the chance to do it, pass it up.
Trying to seine the fish may not be practical. Plus, if scaled fish are handled in mud and muddy water, kiss them goodbye. They are likely to be so stressed they will die.
I would try to use hook and line, or figure out a way to launch an electrofishing boat and get them that way.
Not to throw more water on this raging fire, but don't expect more than three or four large bass in one acre of unmanaged water.
If you choose to seine, bring a change of clothes, have a hauling tank in a truck with clean water, and get the fish to the tank as soon as possible.
Keep us posted.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#51849 02/21/05 07:04 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I think you are right about the silt - what if I had a large mouthed dip-net and scooped through the water from a John-boat?

The more I think about wading/swimming through wet water and mud in February, the less appealing it sounds...

#51850 02/26/05 08:41 AM
Lunker
Lunker
I still think you are more likely to catch them on hook and line. Unless water is extremely shallow, fish easily avoid a dip net, any size. Remember, you are in their element and fish have the advantage.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#51851 02/26/05 02:45 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
JR - your intentions are very honorable and conservation minded but not very practical for a novice. Bob gives you very good advice from experience and learning. I concur with his comments. Once you have tried to remove those fish and see the final results you too will have a much better appreciation for his advice. If you move any of the fish keep tabs on them to see how well they survived during the first 4 weeks after transport. Successful holding of fish in healthy low stress conditions until transport can also require knowledge and expeience. YOu can give this idea a try. It will be a learning curve for you. The fish will die anyway if nothing is done. Some in the neighborhood may want to eat the trapped fish captured from the low pool conditions. Be well prepared with a plan and holding facilities when fishing begins if you intend to move them. There have been several past posts about transporting or moving fish. Search for the advice.
http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001093

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000328

http://www.pondboss.com/cgibin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=000187&p=

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001138

This my expeience with angling for fish in a pond that was draining or has been taken to low pool. Catching fish was more difficult under these conditions. I am not sure why, but I suspect that the fish became wary and suspecious when subjected to the new water levels and what now are new shallow foraging areas. They were easier to catch at full pool before draining began. Do your fishing then and use finesse angling methods incorporating live bait.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#51852 02/28/05 08:45 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Bob and Bill

You guys are both right. Seining the pond by traditional means is a bad, bad idea. I tried a line Saturday and didn't get a bite.

This weekend, although the pond is largely empty, it was still over 5 ft deep in sections. The silt is at least 3 ft deep. The temp was 39 degrees F. Very windy. We ended up using a throw net and pulled out over 200 fish. We took the larger fish to a large lake a mile of two away and released them. A friend of mine took about 75 home to clean, and I have 5 in a large horse trough in my garage to see how long they would live given the stress of their capture and temporary imprisonment. Thus far, 33 hours later, both bass, both crappie and the bream are doing alright. By the way, my wife has already told me that I am going to have to get them out by tomorrow!

The crappie and bream are all thin - from overpopulation I suppose. The bass are about 1.5 - 2 lbs each, and not too thin. Not chunky, but not too thin either, at least when compared to the panfish.

Over the weekend I tracked down a friend of mine who was a wildlife biologist in NY a few years back. He knows a guy with a shock-boat. We are going to try and use that next week to see if we can shock up the largest fish in there.

The pond is over 3 acres when full according to my friend. Maybe there are some larger crappie and bass left. I'll post my results after we give it another shot.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Jonathan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Augie!
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 08:01 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Zep - 05/06/24 08:01 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:52 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by cgoetz1 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Little update and a question on harvesting