Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,991
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Theo Gallus, nvcdl, bmicek, jmartin), 1,163 guests, and 510 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
First I would like to ask, what is the "official" difference between a lake and a pond??

Secondly, We don't seem to talk about "large" bodies of water very much...it is almost assumed that all ponds and lakes are 'clumped' into the same ol category when it comes to stocking and management..

It seems to me that there are different practices and oppertunities on a body of water that is say 5 acres, than one that is an acre or smaller.
Then there are a few people on this sight that have REALLY big lakes like 20 acres or more. I am sure they have even more oppertunites and management practices with their ponds or lakes.

Is what I'm saying makeing sense??

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
What you are saying does make sense. Basically every thing about pond/lake mgmt is generalities because of all the different variables among them and as always - I all denends.

If it is 5 acres and you own it, it is a pond, if I own it, it is a lake. ;\) Lots of disagreement on this definition depending on who you are talking to. No matter whatr it is called the volume and surface area is still the same and management is necessary. What type of management is the question.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I remember this being discussed on the old board, we decided that 10 acres or more we would called it a lake

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
There is also a huge difference in the management of ponds in the North as opposed to the south. I wish everyone was required to put what state they are in and would always volunteer the size of their pond/lake in their questions.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Brian I totally agree.....

J
J
I always thought it had to do with the depth. A five acre body of water that was only 7 feet deep was a pond, but a five acre body of water that went twenty feet deep was a lake. Maybe that was from personal experience as a kid, I remember diving off rocks into lakes , but couldn't do that into ponds.

PB subscriber,PB gift subscriber,Book owner
B
B
If it belongs to you it is a lake, if it someone else's then it is a pond!

Bob in North Alabama proud owner of a .4 acre lake

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
No...I think the deffinition of saying water that constantly flows through the body of water makes it a lake....that is the correct deffenition I would think.... :rolleyes:

saddly to say most of us here have little ponds

N
N
Gotta disagree with you big_pond. Here around Dallas we have several lakes that do not have water constantly running through them. Most lakes are built to stop water from a major waterway (river or creek) but we have long dry summers with no water flowing in or out of most of our lakes. I fish lakes Tawakoni and Fork often. They do at times have water flowing in and out simulatneously but at other times, no.

Nick Smith
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Well Nick the body of water used to catch run off like that is called retaintion ponds \:D ....If water is not constantly going through them..and they constantly go up and down in level and they are big bodies of water...They are named after me, Big ponds!! \:D \:D

All though I like the name Big lake a littel better......maybe I will change my screen name ;\)

I
I
BrianH

Uhhh hummm...hello everyone...my...uh,..name is... Mark... I...uh...have a 4 acre "body of water" in northern Arkansas, and I'm...a Pondaholic. Thank you. I'll sit down now. There, I feel...muucchh better now.

B
B
Come on Mark according to Bob Lusk you have a 4 acre lake at least according to the aerial photography!

Bob

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm sorry to inform you Mark, but even with professional help you'll always be a pondaholic.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
The Great Salt Lake in Utah doesn't have an outflow. Does that mean it is a pond?

Norm Kopecky
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
It's not mine so .. yes, albiet a salty pond \:D

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
H
H
The book 'Basic Pond Management' by Bob Lusk & Mark McDonald (First in the Pond Boss How-to Series) which I recently ordered and rcvd from PondBoss states on the inside front cover,
"A body covering less than 10 surface acres and less than 20 feet deep is a 'pond'. Most any reservoir with more than 10 acres shall be considered a 'lake'.

L
L
I always call my 13 acre BOW a pond. I hope the definition police don't get me, but it is a lot of fun to direct visitors to come through the woods to the house on the pond. They are usually surprised when they see it. For the proud pond papa, that kind of surprise is much better than the one where you tell them its a lake and then they expect Lake Superior. although one guest exclaimed, "Why, that must be the better part of an acre!" In any case, this is the first one which has been mine to coddle, and I would have been happy to get anything which would hold something larger than a goldfish. I call any BOW with edible fish a "lottafun" and a "grandchildren magnet."
Lou

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Lou, coddle away!

I.L.F.Mark was man enough to admit it.

Dammit, I'm a pondaholic too. It's been six years now. The first year, I thought I could handle it. You know, just fishing and what not. But then I needed more...........

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lou, My grandson has as much fun with the crawdads in the neighbors small mud puddle as he does anywhere. He caught a 3.5 lb bass recently on one of mine and he insisted on releasing it. Pretty good feeling.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Why is lake sometimes in front of the name and sometimes behind the name?

Lake Whitney
Caddo Lake

B
B
There will always be an argument over the difference between a lake and a pond. But remember there will always be a disagreement over the following:

1. A pebble and a stone

2. A river and a creek

3. A ship and a boat

4. A slight breeze and a windy day

5. A tree and a sapling

6. A road and a highway

7. A Lunker and Fingerling

I could go on but I think you get the point!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt