Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Davidson1, Groundhog7, TropicalKoi), 709 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
G
Hey, Sunil--when I was a "kid" (way too many years ago--'tho I still am at heart), I went to a river park here in Texas down in San Marcos called Aquarena Springs that had glass-bottomed boats through which we got to see all kinds of fish, turtles, etc. It was terrific...maybe I can convert my little 12' Jon boat into a mini-glass-bottomed tour boat for my pond! \:D

Anyway, back to the "survey"--
Pond is about 50 yards from my covered front porch. I can sit in my front porch swing and see most of it. It's brand new, just starting to fill, no forage fish in yet--probably in a couple of weeks--if the rains continue here in Parker County, Texas.

Had aquariums as a kid & adult. Guess I've always loved to watch them, catch them, release them--and, of course--eat them when necessary! insert: channel cats, salmon, big blue gill, etc. ;\)

I've fished for as long as I remember--my first experiences were at a stock "tank" out on a west Texas ranch.

This forum has been a great resource plus it's terrific to hear from folks all over this country who share this common bond! \:D

P
P
Sunil
My pond is 100 feet out the back door at my retirement home, and I'll be there full time by the end of the year. I don't fish alot but have had many marine and freshwater aquariums over the years, but the pond is the best aquarium of all.
Viewing your fish in the pond would be ideal with a picture window, but a bit impractical, I've been using an aqua view UW video system. I ran a stainless cable up from a habitat structure I placed in about 10 feet of water about 15 feet off the shore. I slide the camera down the wire on a simple bracket I made and it's amazing the activity I see. The cameras work on IR sensors so they do very well in low light. It even runs on a battery so you don't need power at the pond either. The cable on the camera is 100 feet long so I may make a few more attachment points so I can move the camera around and see the sights. I'm curious to see what goes on by the aeration discs.

[Linked Image from img.whynotgif.com]
[Linked Image from i68.photobucket.com]
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yes GlenB, I did the glass bottom boat thing at some underground lake in a cave when I was a kid. I think it was in Tenn.

PA Pond, I think I have the same Aquavue camera. I've only used it a few times, but it works well. I like your idea about the steel cable guide. I saw your previous post describing it.

I made a rig to attach a shiner on a hook out in front of the camera so you can see a fish actually hit the bait, but I haven't used it for that yet........maybe this weekend.

Our newborn girl is only 9 weeks old now, and my wife cannot understand how I can make the hour journey to the pond in good conscience while leaving the baby with one of her grandmothers.

Don't get me wrong, I love the baby; but the pond needs me too. The argument that I'm doing things at the pond so our daughter can enjoy it when she's older is just not holding water....yet!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

P
P
Sunil,
My pond was dug at the house while my kids were very young, and they grew up enjoying it. Some of their most vivid memories now that they're 25 and 23 are about activities on or around that pond. When my son was 3, I started taking him out on sunday mornings so we could catch the (stocked) rainbow trout for a trout and eggs breakfast. Even now when he comes up to visit, trout end eggs are on the menu. He wouldn't have it any other way. Your wife may not appreciate it yet, but you're on the right track. ;\)

[Linked Image from img.whynotgif.com]
[Linked Image from i68.photobucket.com]
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
My wife is very cool and thoroughly enjoys the pond & property. She's into camping and fishing, etc. All the outdoorsy stuff lost it's enjoyment for her when she was over 6 months pregnant. She'll get back into it when the babies a little older and less physically dependent on her.

I need to get a summer home built up there to raise the bar and start the next level of pond enjoyment. No hauling camping equipment, setting up tents, and then breaking down camp etc., just waking up in a bed and walking out to the pond to see what's up.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Yes, had aquariums, Turtles and all that kid stuff.

Fished with Dad on area lakes, rivers, and some salt into adulthood,[ whatever that is.] Dad, Brother, and myself joined a local Bass club for several years but tired of travel and fishing in a lot of bad weather.

Had a trailer at Tawakoni marina for several years. Loved chasing sandbass & wipers in in my 18'Skeeter/175hp, also jigging for crappie off the marina's boat docks.

In 2001 sold out at Tawakoni. Bought 25 acres heavely wooded, with Palm Harbor double wide and a neat liveable log cabin. the 2 acre pond is in the front yard of both. the pond was stocked with bass and brim but i added c-cat & coppernose bluegill.

I'm POSSESSED with this with this place. i can't stop working on it. i've added a large split leval deck to the house, re-furbished the cabin, a 10'x12'fishing dock, small feeding dock with auto feeder 2 times a day, 600ft. deep well, added sprinkler system to water the 54 pallets of grass plus keep the pond full.

Now i'm talking to a pond builder about adding 3 to 5 acres to the existing pond and plan to build a retirement home there as soon as circumstances allow.

I fish some but i'd rather work on it an look at it and watch the fish feed, also watch the kids and grandkids have fun.

A'm there almost every weekend or longer and it's only 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. away

Love East Tx.--POSSESSED

Hope i did not bore ya'll

J
J
Ponds are about 2 hours from home on vacation property. Just got back from a ten day stay, for me it's just about the only way to stay sane living in NYC. Never had aquariums, but always went salt water fishing for snappers, blues, stripers,and fluke as a kid.

PB subscriber,PB gift subscriber,Book owner
A
A
I am currently living about 100ft from the shore of Lake Erie (You couldn't ask for a much bigger pond in your back yard). I am in the process of finalizing the design for a 2 acre pond that will be bulit on our property about 25 mins south of Erie. There are also plans to build a house after the pond is finished. As of now, it looks like the house will be about 50ft from the pond and will have a huge front deck that leads down to the dock(i am looking about 5 years down the road).

I have had atleast 1 aquarium ever since i was about 5. Nothing fancy, just the usual guppies, tetras, angels, and platties. When i was in college, I raised livebearers with one of my roommates. We always had 6 or 7 10 gallon tanks in our appartment filled with mollies, platties, and, swordtails of all stages. I think we supplied the entire campus with fish, or atleast it seemed like we did.

Fishing, Flyfishing, and more Fishing!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM