Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Willy Wonka), 797 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49092 08/01/04 02:39 PM
K
Koda Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have a small 40x100 ft 10 ft deep pond. It was built in the late fifties. I have owned this land for about 3 months. when I bought It the pond was full of small bluegill millions of them. I put some bass and some catfish in them. it is also full of tadpoles, I have a couple of questions. 1 : will the bass and catfish eat the tadpoles? and the other question is : I had a friend call and he had a good day at the paylake and brought me 25 arkansas bluecats ranging from 1 to 5 pounds. when he left the lake he put the fish in a cooler with about a half bag of ice. they were alive when they got here but in the last 5 days i have lost 5 in the pond. could the ice have done that? I was worried that something might have happened to my pond or something.
Thanks koda

#49093 08/01/04 04:02 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bass and catfish will probably not eat very many tadpoles until the bluegill numbers start decreasing. Tadpole numbers will noticably start to decrease as bgill numbers get lower. Since tadpoles swim slowly they are very suseptable to predation. As a deterrent for getting consumed or eliminated tadpoles have a disagreeable flavor. So predators have to be pretty hungry before they eat tadpoles, but they will eat them when really hungry. I suspect some fish may even develop a taste for tadoles and consume them over fish. However most all frogs are tasty to fish.

Your friend would have had more success at transporting the cats if he would have moved a lot fewer fish with less crowding. The more fish that are confined to a container the faster the oxygen is consumed and the more ammonia that is produced into the water by each "breathing" fish. Warmer water holds less oxygen. So transporting fish in warm water is very difficult if not done by someone experienced. Experienced fish haulers have often killed many fish learning their transporting methods. Moving fish is very difficult in mid-summer.

Oxygen is most important and temperature is second. Reduction in oxygen and an increase in ammonia levels is very hard stress to fish. The quick decrease in water temperature due to adding ice,, temperature shocks the fish and compounds the stressors. Rapidly droping the temperature of fish is riskier and more stressful than raising the temp. Compare his method with the recommended temp change for fish of 2 degree temp change per 20 min. Fish were cooled down for transport then warmed back up when restocked. His methods obviously did not immediately kill the big cats but you are now seeing the affects that they endured; latent or delayed deaths from too much and too many stressors. Just because a fish swims away when released does not mean it will live. You are learning this fact.

Fish are somewhat like people in an accident or those that have gotten sick with flu or pnemonia, disease, etc; they may not die right away but can move around or function, but if not treated they will die later of one or a combination of several factors. I would be very suprised if any of the large cats survive that your friend brought to you due to the transport methods he used.

If we hauled you to the hospital and oxygen levels decreased while BAD air (ammonia) to you increased as we traveled you probably would not make it there alive if we had to go very far. Time in transort is also a big factor in survival; esp if hauling conditions are less than best. Experience has taught me that, it is much better to transport two fish that live, than move lots of fish that eventually die. What a waste of quality fish, money (pay lake fees), time, and effort.

Also note that fish when they die do not all float. I killed all fish in a pond last week and about 50% floated; rest sunk to the bottom. One could see them laying on the bottom. Scavengers often get them before they bloat & float.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#49094 08/01/04 05:32 PM
K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
probably better they all die , you didn't say how many bass and (type) cats or size you stocked. those 5 pounds might eat everything , in that size pond , no.

i only wanted to have some fun
#49095 08/02/04 08:36 PM
K
Koda Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks Guys!
Things have seemed to stop unless like bill said they are on the bottom. But I did catch one of the little blues on nightcrawler yesterday. I am really not sure what is in this pond, but I have been keeping record of what I put in. as far as I can tell it had been fished out before I got it. I fished it for a couple of weeks before I started putting fish in it. and the only thing I caught was bluegill, but some of them was in the 1# range. I have never owned a pond before so all this is new to me. I want to get a good preditor to prey ratio.I have not seen any minnows in this pond, should I put some in there?

Thanks
Koda

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM