Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,972
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
10 members (STG, FishinRod, Donatello, Boondoggle, Don Kennedy, Theo Gallus, MOFishermen, Ponderific2024, Augie, Sunil), 1,188 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Wood Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Our horses are now back from winter boarding. I will be installing a temporary electric fence around my pond to keep them out. I have a simple yet effective system for this, no problem.
I do have a problem with the heron who just returned yesterday for another season of all you can eat trout. My question pertains to the placement of the fence and spacing of wires. I have noticed that they usually land about 50 feet or more away from the pond and then walk to the water. I was thinking of placing the fence 10 feet or so back from the edge and forcing them to walk through it. Any suggestions on wire spacing, i.e. how far from the ground and distance between strands? I need to fence the horses off anyway, just trying to kill two birds with one stone. ;\)
Any thoughts? Thanks, John.

B
B
Hi Wood, this has been discussed in the gardenweb forum and most Koi ponders place a single strand of wire about 8-10 inces off the ground and about a foot away from the pond. Some have had real good success with this method.

Bob

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Wood,

When I first built and stocked my 3 acre pond, I thought that I could tolerate the occasional heron because it is esthetically pleasing to have around...no longer. After watching them eat and/or pierce good sized bass, they are now my enemy to be dealt with by force...just like water turkeys. I applaud your efforts at the electrical fence, and hope it works for you, but for me, "force" was the only answer.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I have seen "our" heron(s) actually land in the water, just off shore. I think I'd place the electric fence as close as possible to the water, watch for the effects on the heron, and move it accordingly. If you can catch him with his feet in the water, he's going to get zapped pretty good.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
A
A
You probably should be very careful trying to place an electric fence that close to the water??

If wishes were horses, dreamers would ride.

I must admit that I am not a fan of the Catfish \:\)
B
B
Place it as close to the water as possible and a foot off the ground. If Herons are the main puprose don't put anything on it to make it more visible. Even if they do choose to land in the water they will try to walk out of it. This will work great for geese as well since they need to walk in and out of the water regularly. Either use wood posts or be very sure to insulate the posts well. You could place it a little higher if you want to let ducks pass under it.

W
Wood Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Thanks for the replies. I am using 5/8" rebar for posts with plastic insulators that clamp on. I will run three strands of electric fence wire, very light guage and easy to handle. The fencer is 12 volt. The whole system sets up in no time and is very portable. I have never used this near my pond, but I have a question. The power runs through the wire in short bursts, when an animal contacts the wire, electricity goes through them, then into the ground and travels back to the fencer through a ground rod. My questions is, if the fence is very close to the pond, is it possible for the current to take the path of least resistance and travel through the water? Just wondering.

J
J
Wood, how do you winter board your horses??

W
Wood Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Jim, the last five years has been drought up here. The was nothing for hay crops and the price of round bales went from $40.00 to $150.00 each. Our horses are fed hay from Sept to the start of June, big expense. A few locals bring in truck loads from out of province and board horses on their land for less than I can feed them at home. In better crop years, we sometimes send them to community pasture for the winter and they scrape the snow and graze over about 40 quarters of land. Grass only grows here June through Sept.

T
T
Wood,

Sounds very COLD up there...had to chuckle...I've got 26 acres, 12 of which is outstanding Bahia/Johnson grass hay...what's really funny is I can't give it away and end up just bushhogging and leaving it laying...brother, if I were a couple of miles closer I'd give you all you want !

On a different note, have you installed the fence ? if so, is it working ?

Torchy

W
Wood Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Torchy, I'd sure take you up on your offer if I could. We actually gave away our American Saddlebred mare last summer, just no feed. Things are better with the rain we've had this spring, even ran the lawn mower a few times.

I'll have the fence in Saturday, they do work quite well and will give a horse a good jolt, usually only takes one, they learn right away. We eventually turned our stallion's fence off and a year later he would still stop about a foot from it and not touch it. I'd say it will give the heron something to think about, I just hope I'm there to see it. \:D

J
J
Too hot for horses down here, maybe we can work a trade. You take mine in the summer and I'll take yours in the winter. On second thought all we need is one set of horses and just share!

I know people that pen their horses on trailrides with hot wires that aren't even on.

I also have lot of bahai I am mowing down.

N
N
Wood,

Yes, the electricity will travel through the water, if given the opportunity (a path). But your little yellow plastic insulators will keep that from hhappening. I have ponds with the rebar rods actually stuck into the water. No problems because the insulators keep the wire from touching the rebar or the water.

By the way, one wire is as effective as three. Just put it high enough that the horses can't step over or duck under without touching and one wire is enough.

Nick Smith
D
D
#4 buckshot

W
Wood Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
For anyone interested, the fence is installed and wired up. Didn't see the heron all weekend. I got up this morning around 5:30, just in time to see him land near the pond. I watched him from the back deck as he walked up to the fence,he then walked around the entire pond but didn't try to get through. He ended up where he started, just standing there like a cow looking at a brand new gate. About five minutes later he took off, maybe just sizing things up for now? I suppose time will tell.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wood,

I'm having the same thing going on here. However I don't have an electric fence around my ponds. Instead I have bright yellow 80 lb. test braided fishing line I ordered from Cabelas staked out around the pond. They can't wade in and they just stand there for a while and fly off. But I have to admire how adaptable they are. They keep showing up occasionally looking for an opening.

I built a new floating cage to redistribute my 300 junvenile bass. Didn't get around to putting the netting on top right away and -- you guessed it --I had one perched on the cage looking in twice and had to politely persuade it to leave with a blast from my .410. Putting up the netting today. So far so good. LOL

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I guess I spoke too soon. I put up the netting and the #$*$%& SOB was standing the cage this morning looking to spear fish that were outside of the cage. I guess I will have to apply for a depradation permit as I have tried everything humanly possible.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
R
Cecil,,

If you live in the country, just try adjusting your aim on that .410!

PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals
W
Wood Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
This may help you Cecil. Depredation permit info

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts