Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46711 02/14/04 02:34 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I'm a new member and hoping that I am posting this correctly. If one or many of you have the time to reply, I am certainly in need of advise. First, I am considering reworking an existing pond. I do not know much history of pond at this time such as age, depth, etc. What I do know is that the pond is appr. ten acres in size, 300 ft wide and appr 1500 long. The pond was constructing by building a levee completely around boundary and pumping in water from nearby well. I am not sure of depth, conture of bottom, etc., at this time. This pond has no water shed since it is surrounded by a levee, but water can be added by pumping from well if needed. Is this a good or bad feature? Are dangerous oxygen levels more common in a pond without a source of runoff water. Further, could bluegill and bass survive without mechanical aeration. I know there are fish in the pond know according to present farmer farming parts of the farm. Before I go through the effort and expense of draining pond, making improvements, stocking of desirable fish, etc., what average depth is required to make a pond of this size a successful fishery capable of growing large bass. If the entire bottom is flat and the depth is just say 4-5 feet, what would be the ideal depths to dig some channels, etc. Since I can not completely drain the pond, I do not know if I will ever be able to get equipment out into the pond. I may be restricted to doing all improvements by digging with trac hoe from the surrounding levee. If this is the case, should I dig a channel all the way around pond at varying depths or if the entire pond is 4-5 ft deep would it be sufficient to dig the channel a constant 7,9,11 feet deep. More, if my pond is a constant 4-5 feet throughout, what percentage of acreage would be the best at making areas deeper or shallower. I have read that having to much deep water can cause problems. As for adding structure, what seems to attract bass better plastic or wood. Is there enough difference that would prevent using one over the other? It appears that oak is not a good choice, so what types of trees native to north Louisiana would last the longest? I have access to a large bamboo cane supply and thought about cutting and concreteing into buckets vertically. Does anyone know how long the bamboo would last? Would fish be attracted to it? I frequently fish a small lake of the Miss. River that we created structure in by driving 2x6 boards into lake floor vertically. We make a triangle out of three boards spaced about 12 inches apart. White perch love it, would bass? Sorry, so long but I have much to learn. Mr. Bob Lusk if you are reading, I have enjoyed your articles that I have found online and am considering purchasing your book advertised in Pond Boss mag. Would I be able to find answers to many of my questions in it? If you have time and would be willing to offer your advice on my situation, I would greatly appreciate it. If you charge for consulting by telephone on things like this could you please send info to me via e-mail so that I can contact you. I hope to be able to share stories about my dream pond in the coming years.

#46712 02/16/04 04:47 PM
M
M
Hello, you've got a lot of general questions that are difficult to answer all at once in this forum. However, I'll make a few general recommendations for you. First, search this site for loads of information on topics that you mentioned. Second, try to keep it to one or two questions at a time. Finally, it would be very beneficial for you to get in touch with a local aquatic biologist. For a modest consulting fee you could obtain a lot of specific information about your pond/lake.

Mike Robinson
Keystone Hatcheries
#46713 02/16/04 11:30 PM
M
M
If your not in a hurry! Southeastern Lake Management out of Newnan Ga. goes to N. LA quite often (at least it did). I think the number is 770 304 2008. Tell them Matt sent ya!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM