Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,312
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,578
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
8 members (gehajake, Jason D, cgmbny, JKK, Zep, Theo Gallus, Brian from Texas, esshup), 931 guests, and 209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Folks,
I am currently in the process of digging my dream .25 to .5 acre pond. It will be used for recreation primarily. In the process of construction I would like to add some water elements. Part of the cuts into the grade of a hill. I would like to bring in some 2-5 ton rocks and create a waterfall here that cascades down into the pond. So to all the experts... 1) What kind of pump should I get? submersible or not? Brand vendor? I was thinking of drawing water out of the 12 ft deep area and pumping it up to increase circulation. 2) How much volume do I need. I want the water really gushing and am thinking about something in the 4000 - 6000 GPH range. Has anyone done anything like this and do you ahve any suggestions? 3) I would also like to put a nice fountain out in the middle but see tremendous variation in price for units and don't know how I should comapre. I would really appreciate your comments as I currently have the bulldozer and track excavator there and this is the time to do it.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Larry

P.S. Any other cool design elements and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Larry-

Will you be able to remove or shut-down your pump in the winter months to prevent damages from ice?

What do you have in mind for preventing the water from getting out via the seams between the boulders etc? Or is the set-up such that all water will make its way back into the pond regardless?

Remember when you are thinking of moving large quantities of water that to do so requires large amounts of electricity. Of course the bigger the pump the more of a cascade/flow you are going to get from your waterfall. Keep in mind that the deeper you locate your pump and the higher you have the output the less flow you can expect. Pump manufacturers should be able to provide you some details on flow vs. lift

The largest water pump I have personal experience is with the Hagen/Laguna 10000 which moves just over 3000 gallons per hour with the pump 6 feet down at a lift of 15 feet according to the manual. It worked very well but might not be the kind of flow you are looking for. Lots of characters on this site with more pump experience will be able to chime in with better information.

Sounds like you will have quite an eye-catching setup once you get the details worked out.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Larry,
I am planning on building 3 waterfalls on my 2ac pond, but not necessarily for eye appeal. I'll be raising trout & want to induce reproduction, however one will visible from the pond & I will dress it up. If submersible, relative to the waterfall it doesn't matter where the pump is located as you will only be lifting the water from the pond surface to the top of the fall. If you locate it in deep water it will increase DO just as an areator would. I plan on spraying the water up against a concrete slab or large rock & letting it cascade down to a large pool filled with sand & river rock then feeding down a stream to the pond. The slab will be hidden from view & serve as an acess door to the nozzle for maintenance. Letting your water splash directly into the pond will add to the areation effect.
How is your pond fed? Stream or run-off? I'll be utilizing a waterwheel below the dam to operate one pump for one waterfall.
If you are serious about the 4000 - 6000 gpm (that would be the equivilent of a fairly large stream and would require prob. 20" pipe) I would look at B&G (Bell & Gosset) they make quality pumps. However drop a zero off & you're more practical but still really gushing!
Ric

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
larry, like Pottsy said you want the waterfall to drain dry when not in use , you taper the falls and creek to dry up when the pump is off. the position of the pump under water is not lift , it is from the surface. i run a t42( using as fun will last your life) 220 v 10 ft waterfall 3 ft. wide with a 30 ft. creek , i have plenty of flow , with low v lighting on the falls and creek (sharp) stoney creek has the best pumps and arieation for ponds in the usa. good luck, you will love it when your back heals . don't build the falls until the hill sits for a year , the rocks need a great base to sit on . you can't rush this kind of job. submersible is the only way to get water flow at low cost. a water fall is not going to arieate a pond properly. \:\)

i only wanted to have some fun
L
OP Offline
L
To all:
Thanks for your thoughts. Some more information is warranted to give you a better perspective. The pond has about a 300 ft core trench on the low side and will be runoff fed. I have a lot of good material down there. I do not intend on having the waterfalls running all winter so removal will be an issue when the weather turns. It seems that a submersible is the recommended course of action here. I wanted to get the rocks put in place given that I have the contractor here with a track excavator with a grapple. He too is concerned about the base and our intention is to get down to solid clay in that area and place some large 3-5 ton flat rocks here on the base clay right into the wall. I would like to have the falls drop 8 feet. I have seem some pumps that were pretty inexpensive and stated that they were 5000 GPH with an 18 ft head from Pondmaster. I appreciate any suggestions as to a vendor for this type of equipment.
Thanks again, pictures of course will follow!
Larry

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Augie!
by gehajake - 05/07/24 09:12 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by Zep - 05/07/24 08:42 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Little update and a question on harvesting
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:21 AM
Newly Uploaded Images