Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,990
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (jmartin, Sunil, nvcdl, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Bigtrh24), 1,176 guests, and 554 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
V
Here in Virginia is has been raining just about ever day and sometimes hard rain. It seems our pond is muddy more often than clear. Does this have any adverse affects on the fish population? Our house is being built on a hill that runs off into the pond so alot of construction and bull dozers leave dirt everywhere, so hopefully this won't be a problem next year when everythings done and grass is everywhere to prevent this.
_Mike

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yes and No. The warmwater fish you have can handle it for some time but it can reduce fertility of the water (minimizes phytoplankton due to reduction in light), but over time once the water clears it can increase fertility and weed growth by adding nutrients, reduces spawning success (the fish have to be able to see each other), reduces a predator fish's success in finding prey, and over time it will fill in your pond.

I know alot of folks fill their ponds initially with runoff from bare ground, but i prefer to eliminate erosion ASAP once the pond is completed. I seed with grass, and on top of that put a cover of about 6 foot of burlap at the bank and farther back it's all straw with of course grass seed under that too. If I have to I will water with a sprinkler to get the grass going or with the right pump you can pump water from the pond to the sprinkler.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
S
Hi Mike,

I understand your concern about the constant rain and muddy water affecting your fish population. While your warmwater fish can tolerate it for a while, there can be some downsides:

Reduced water fertility: The muddiness can block sunlight, limiting the growth of phytoplankton, which are tiny plants that form the base of the aquatic food chain. This can eventually impact the overall fertility of the water.

Spawning issues: The murky water can make it difficult for fish to see each other, potentially hindering their ability to spawn successfully.

Reduced predator efficiency: Predators like bass might struggle to find prey due to the decreased visibility in the muddy water.

Long-term pond filling: Over time, the sediment from the runoff can gradually fill in your pond, reducing its depth and overall health.

The good news is that once the construction is complete and the surrounding area is properly landscaped with grass, the erosion should significantly decrease, and the water quality should improve.

In the meantime, you might consider checking out accuweather.com/ to see if there's any respite from the rain in the near future. This website allows you to check the forecast for your specific location.

It sounds like you have a good plan in place for preventing future erosion once the construction is finished. Seeding the area with grass and using burlap or straw matting on the banks will help stabilize the soil and prevent further sediment from entering the pond.

I hope this information helps!

W
W
I'll piggy back on this thread. My pond is fairly new, finished last spring. I was hoping weeds would fill in the shoreline over the summer but they didn't do much. It is always very muddy, even when we haven't had rain for a few weeks. I had planted rye grass last fall but it didn't take. What is the best grass to plant around the shoreline? It's in full sun and in a pasture and we're in northwest Arkansas. Thanks!

S
S
Get some wheat, rye, fescue-anything you can get to grow to establish a cover crop for your final selection of ground cover type you want permanently. You will have turbidity issues until you do.

W
W
Originally Posted by Snipe
Get some wheat, rye, fescue-anything you can get to grow to establish a cover crop for your final selection of ground cover type you want permanently. You will have turbidity issues until you do.
Would that burn up in the summer? I’m wondering if I should just go with Bermuda? I’ve also got some gift cards to Bass Pro Shops so the thought crossed my mind about throwing food plot seed out there (clover, etc)?

S
S
I'm talking a quick cover crop to plant grass into. Plant what you like after you have a stand of what will soon expire.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you do what Snipe recommended, then mow the area, the mowed stuff acts as mulch to keep the newly broadcast seeds and ground retain moisture.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J

We plant wheat to use as a cover crop until the bermuda grows.

1 member likes this: Snipe
J
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
Originally Posted by jludwig

We plant wheat to use as a cover crop until the bermuda grows.
This is what we did after new pond construction. Finished in October so had a nice wheat crop by spring. Hopefully you're working with some good top soil vs soil dug out from the pond. Low organic soil will need amending to get much to take hold.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves