Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,994
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (catscratch, Theo Gallus, gehajake, jmartin), 1,279 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42626 10/02/02 07:47 PM
S
sleet Offline OP
OP Offline
S
ok i posted before about puttin fish in an aquarium and i know what all to do. (im the assistant manager of the animals at my pet store, that means i take care of the animals and fish) so i know about aquariums and chemicals and all that. i just wanna know what kind of plants and food i should start out feeding these fish. i might buy a 55 gallon aquarium and put a couple small bluegill in there. i wanna know from your experiences too. i know what to do, just seeking other opinions. thanx

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
sleet - FIRSTLY. You should have put this second question about the exact same topic as before (Sept11) back under the Sept 11 post and your first question by using the reply button at the bottom. Do not create a new post about the exact same topic; use the old topic/question to continue your ideas about fish in an aquarium .

SECONDLY. If you are as you say assist. mgr. of animals you better start getting it together by learning and reading up on what you are supposed to be doing in maintaining the fish. All fish need the same basic requirements; good water quality and nutritious food. Don't learn by "trial and error" when working with live animals. Do some reading and studying from good books about raising animals including fish. The pet shop should have racks of magazines and books. If they don't the library does; remember the library? Just liking animals does not mean you automaically know how to raise or care for them. As I said twice before read books and learn what to do for specific animals or groups of animals. Ask a specific question and I will try and give a specific answer.

Try www.aquariumfish.com . I'm not sure what's there but it is a site from the magazine I subscribe to: Aquarium Fish, Fishkeeping - The Art and the Science. Your pet store probably carries it. They had an article about raising native fish that I can look up for you if you need it. The library has books on raising native fish.

I'm still not sure what information you want. Ask a specific question. I answered what to feed small bluegill and about filtration and water quality for them in the other Sept 11 post. Go back and read it again. Small bluegill will eat pretty much the same thing as goldfish or oscars or ciclids (which are tropical sunfishes). If to quote you, "you know what to do" what other opinions do you want?

Just out of curiosity, and since your are the assist. animal mangr. of the pet shop fishes, how many total fish die in all the tanks each week? And how many tanks in your pet shop??. Just an average number of dead fish each week is okay. All pet shops clean out dead fish daily. Since you may not open the store in the morning and remove the dead ones will you ask the manager my question?
PS Put a sign up on the bulletin board in the pet shop for a used larger aquarium. Probably can get one cheap or in the newspaper want ads. Live near me??, I will give you a 40 gal long or 20 gal hi free. When do you want to Come and get it?.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Another excellent site to check out is put up by the native fish conservatory: Native Fish

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pottsy..Thanks for the help.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Sleet,

What grade are you in? Let me guess - The 6th! I afraid I don't believe you're claims about working in a pet store. No hard feelings, but your story has some holes in it.

Despite all of that, I do assume you want to have a fish tank and care for fish. Me too. I've got this thing about a big tank and 3 or 4 small largemouth bass. The wife says NO WAY Baby, so I'll wait for a while.

Listen to Bill Cody, he is one of authorities on this board. Don't you think it was nice of him to offer you a free tank.

gw

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build