Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42059 07/09/02 07:39 PM
G
Gary Offline OP
OP Offline
G
What type of black bass should I stock that will be easy to catch ? I'm not to sucessful with Florida's

#42060 07/09/02 10:26 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Oh boy!!! SO many ways one could run with this question. Resisting the temptation.

#42061 07/10/02 06:03 PM
G
Gary Offline OP
OP Offline
G
KMDuffie, Go to Managing an Exsiting Pond and see Where's my Bass? and that will give you some insight with my problem, Thanks Gary

#42062 07/10/02 10:17 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Gary, sorry if I sounded condescending. That wasn't my intent. My first impulse toward your question was "Aggie-Bass", but that would have been a self-incriminating comment.
Regarding your question (further validated by your linked-post): Through this lay-fisherman's eyes, my first question would concern factors such as water-clarity (effect on line visibility), baits, techniques and maybe a few others that might be evident upon first-hand inspection. Also, is it possible that others may have enjoyed the fruits of your labor during your absence? – and eaten the evidence – thus reducing your Florida strain population without your knowledge.
I've fished ultra-clear Hill Country creeks to coastal potholes and frequently watched bass (genetics unknown) come up to tactfully worked baits, only to snub their nose at them. 1) they weren't hungry, 2) they were alert to the fishing line, which looked like ski-rope in those conditions, 3) the bait simply didn't produce a predatory response or 4) I just wasn't good enough to fool "em.
In short, several possibilities exist that may explain your circumstance. No definite answers here; just things to consider. But, Florida's are certainly catchable under certain conditions and at certain times. The record books are proof.

#42063 07/11/02 08:21 PM
G
Gary Offline OP
OP Offline
G
KMDuffie, First Thank You for Your Time for replying. The answers to your questions are, water-clarity is around 14-18" which I plan to fertlize soon. Baits include top water from tiny torpedo to 6" top water. Stick baits running 2-4 ft. deep, Plastic worms, and live perch. Colors for top water have been clear and black, stick baits any thing that come close to my coppernose and worms include purple, black, oil, with various colored tails. Line weight is no less than 12 lb and no more than 17. Baits have been retrived super fast, fast, slow , stop and go etc. Others fishing my place is possible but not probable. No sign of lures in trees, line along bank, tracks etc.and my dad visits the place at random. By the way its in Eastland County which is where he lives not to menton a honest neighor who loves to trotline but not interested in Blacks. Maybe Im being impatient, but I would think I would at least have a hit. My only guess is these bass are over stuffed and have no desire to hit lures. But I also would think that I would at least catch some small bass, which brings me back to the my inter thoughts, do I need to stock bass that is not of Florida strain that is easier to catch. My new tank which should top off at 3 acre's now has half acre of water and I have already transported 125 coppernose from 3" to 8" and I don't want to make same mistake twice stocking bass that is hard to catch that might be 7-9 lbs compared to catching a bunch of bass that weight 3- 6 lbs.
Thanks again, Gary

#42064 07/12/02 05:22 AM
T
T
gary i would suggest buying some minnows and try them one weekend - don't want to do on a regular basis, but certainly can help answer the "catchable" question - we use them periodically on my lake and have not hurt the fish at all if handled properly - can be a way to see whats really in your pond - better yet, if you can find waterdogs, your largest bass will bite them on a regular basis and you can see what you have - just a thought

#42065 07/12/02 07:27 AM
L
L
Gary,
Maybe I missed it, but nowhere have I seen any mention of your actually seeing any bass in your pond.

Larry

#42066 07/12/02 03:23 PM
G
Gary Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Larry, the first and last time I seen the bass I put in my tank (3-4 inch fingerlings) was on July 30, 1999 I released 100 (I mentioned 75 earlier, that was the cost $75.) Four months earlier I had stocked 3000 coppernose,600 redear, 25 lbs of fatheads, and 15 lbs shinners The day after I released the bass, I walked the bank to make sure none had died and possible washed ashore. My only clue came about 4 weeks ago when I seen a big splash next to the tank dam, which I can only guess a bass. As far as seeing them on a nest, swimming in shallows etc. I have not.

#42067 07/12/02 03:50 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Hey Gary,

Why only 100 bass for a 4 ½ acre pond? It seems strange that you have not seen any in the shallows spawning.

Have you tried night fishing with a top-water bait. May I suggest a black gitterbug. It comes in a weedless hook set up. Be sure that you use the one with treble hooks, if your not in a grassy area.

If your interests are more about catching lots of bass than in raising big, big bass, consider adding a couple hundred native blacks, say 8inchers if that's in your budget. But, try the gitterbug first on a full moon or bright night.

#42068 07/12/02 07:03 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Gary,

Question: What kind of shallows does this pond have? Do you walk the entire bank of this 4 1/2-acre pond looking for evidence of bass? Do you fish the entire lake from the bank or from a boat? Are there shallow underwater islands in the middle of this lake where spawning may happen unnoticed?

Another thought that has not come up is: Hire someone to survey your pond. They will come in and Electro shock and let you know what you've got going.

Be sure to get into a Johnboat and tool around and fish a wider area.

Also, If you’re in hill country, it’s likely you have a lot of contour in your 4 1/2-acre lake. Get a depth finder and survey points and ridges that are underwater. Bass orientated in shallows close to deeper water. So underwater ridges, points, etc are good fishing locations. Think about building a dock out into the lake. Bass love to vertically orientate on pilings.

Do you have large trees growing at the bank's edge? If so, consider cutting several down so as to fall into the water. The sumerged tops are prime bass habitat. If you don’t have any big bank tree, try sinking a lot of Xmas trees in a spot you can cast too from the bank. This may bring the sows in closer. It will certainly be a hotel for the small fry, minnows, and juvenile fish.

I personally think you’ve got bass and big ones to boot. I just think that 100 to start where too few and the forage is so good that by daylight 00:30, these ole boys have had breakfast and are lounging.

So, let us know more about your fishing techniques. This is an interesting issue!!!

#42069 07/12/02 08:50 PM
L
L
Gary,
I have no way of actually knowing but it seems to me that in three years time that your pond should be full of bass by now. I believe if I were you I would follow Flatlander's advice and stock a couple hundred Largemouths.

I have had good results fishing in ponds with 4" tubes, black with red specks is a good color. You might want to try that.

Larry

#42070 07/12/02 10:04 PM
G
Gary Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Flatlander, I appreciate, your input as I do all who reply. The first answer to why 100 Florida bass, thats what my consulant suggested at the time. My tank was still in process of filling and was up to around 2 1/2 acre's. If memory serves me right, he said I could go with 125 but I would have a better quality bass starting at 100. Maybe I misled him and not knowing anything at the time, I just wanted large bass as quick as possible, and I knew it was going to take a couple of years or so but my intetion was also to be able to fish couple hours and at least have some good hits and start the process of taking out the 14 inch and under. No I have not tried a gitterbug and I have not tried at night. If the native blacks would be the easier one's to catch, thats what I probably need.
Pond structure: I seen it before water filled. The dam is 220 yds long and width is between 30 to 50 yds and this is mainly the bowl. This is where dozers took out all dirt for the dam. The rest is shallow water around two ft, when full. Alot of this will become inches in time of drought which is not uncommon in last couple of years. The creek that feeds it, during rains, always holds water in 4-5 ft and loaded with pea gravel. Starting from the edge of the bowl towards the creek and all the shallows, I left all the timber. Trees, bushes etc but no ground varation, except for the creek, and it has turns, highs and lows, trees hanging in it, bushes, so much, the only way to fish it is flipping cause your not going to cast overhead. I also put in some trees in the bowl. I tried to put two or three trees along the bottom and made six brush piles in all. These trees was probably 12 to 20 inches in dia.
My thoughts as of now, agree with your closing statement, I have big bass and they are stuffed and just lounging. You mentioned the survey, I'm just about money broke. Six grand on one tank, $2500. on bait fish, $5000. on my new tank and wife still wants to know when I'm getting the new carpet. Luckly she likes to fish more than me!
Which is why I'm gathering as much info now as my new tank is gaining water now and I'm stocking the bluegill. This one will have the creek bed, points, drop-offs, large rocks, trees, the works. Hate to be long winded, but I do believe in getting or receiving as much info as possible, Thanks....Gary

#42071 07/13/02 08:01 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Gary - in what state and county is your pond located?

#42072 07/14/02 06:26 PM
G
Gary Offline OP
OP Offline
G
KMDuffie, Just north west of you in Eastland County, Eastland, Texas

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails