Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,995
Posts558,328
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
5 members (DrLuke, Theo Gallus, Scalebuster, FishinRod, Custom 68), 1,165 guests, and 140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#560035 07/28/23 03:49 AM
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We finally signed a contract to build a new house near my pond and was wondering if anybody had any tips on a few things.

Does anyone have a single well that they use for their house and to feed their pond? If so what kind of set up do you have?

I'm having a vault room built in. Does anyone have a brand of vault door they like? If you added ventilation, how did you do it?
Any other vault room tips?

Any other tips in general?

Thanks!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Congrats on your future pond-side home!

I believe the pumping configuration of your well will be "set" based on the depth of the static water level in the well, the drawdown rate, and the flow capacity. The well driller will then recommend a submersible pump (probably) sized on those factors.

I don't think you need to design any "extras" at that point, other than to add a tee into the water supply line going to the house, such that you can install a valve and line as needed to your pond. (I am NOT an expert.)

If the water well driller does NOT recommend a specific drilling location, then you need to pick the best location for your well shed. Close to electricity, close to house, and close to pond. Also, a location that will have long-term easy access for big equipment since they will occasionally have to pull and replace your well pump (if it is a submersible).

I am even less help on the vault. However, I do know some guys that put gun vaults into their basements and had subsequent moisture problems. If you are putting water-sensitive items in the vault, I think spending some extra money during the construction phase to keep out or vent moisture would probably be a good investment.

A
Online Content
A
Browning ProSteel has a nice line of vault doors. I've owned a Browning Medallion series gun safe for 30-ish years.
Haven't had any problems with it.
Their vault doors use the same locks/bolts that are used in their safes, so I expect they would be quite reliable and secure.
Fort Knox is another reputable safe and security door brand but I don't have any personal experience with their products.

If your vault room will be built below grade you'll want to install a drain pipe either in the floor or the wall to allow operation
of a dehumidifier. I didn't think of that when we built this house so I have to monitor the dehumidifier and dump the bucket
when it fills up. That's only a slight nuisance, but it's definitely something that I would have done differently.

Ventilation could be handled by a pair of fabricated steel baffle boxes and a muffin fan, or tied into the ductwork for your HVAC system.

If you're planning to use the vault as a storm shelter/panic room then think real hard about buying a door that swings into the vault
rather than out. The in-swing doors cost a little more due to the need for a clamshell frame, but when the twister hits and drops
Aunty Em's pink Cadillac against the door you can still open it and get out.

Last edited by Augie; 07/28/23 11:55 AM. Reason: formatting for readability
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Congrats on your future pond-side home!

I believe the pumping configuration of your well will be "set" based on the depth of the static water level in the well, the drawdown rate, and the flow capacity. The well driller will then recommend a submersible pump (probably) sized on those factors.

I don't think you need to design any "extras" at that point, other than to add a tee into the water supply line going to the house, such that you can install a valve and line as needed to your pond. (I am NOT an expert.)

If the water well driller does NOT recommend a specific drilling location, then you need to pick the best location for your well shed. Close to electricity, close to house, and close to pond. Also, a location that will have long-term easy access for big equipment since they will occasionally have to pull and replace your well pump (if it is a submersible).

I am even less help on the vault. However, I do know some guys that put gun vaults into their basements and had subsequent moisture problems. If you are putting water-sensitive items in the vault, I think spending some extra money during the construction phase to keep out or vent moisture would probably be a good investment.
Thanks FishinRod, I figured I'd be pretty much limited to what the well guy says.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Augie
Browning ProSteel has a nice line of vault doors. I've owned a Browning Medallion series gun safe for 30-ish years.
Haven't had any problems with it.
Their vault doors use the same locks/bolts that are used in their safes, so I expect they would be quite reliable and secure.
Fort Knox is another reputable safe and security door brand but I don't have any personal experience with their products.

If your vault room will be built below grade you'll want to install a drain pipe either in the floor or the wall to allow operation
of a dehumidifier. I didn't think of that when we built this house so I have to monitor the dehumidifier and dump the bucket
when it fills up. That's only a slight nuisance, but it's definitely something that I would have done differently.

Ventilation could be handled by a pair of fabricated steel baffle boxes and a muffin fan, or tied into the ductwork for your HVAC system.

If you're planning to use the vault as a storm shelter/panic room then think real hard about buying a door that swings into the vault
rather than out. The in-swing doors cost a little more due to the need for a clamshell frame, but when the twister hits and drops
Aunty Em's pink Cadillac against the door you can still open it and get out.

Thanks Augie, I've looked at those brands and like them but hoping to find something a little cheaper but also don't want to buy junk either. I know the room will cost me a lot more than just the door to finish so I have to watch it a bit, We have already raised our budget about $125,000.00 and the wife don't care about my vault room. lol!

It will be built below grade, with a concrete slab over it. Before any framing inside it will be 11' 2'' x 23' 6", so should be a good size. I will do my best to get a floor drain in.

What size ductwork do you think a room that size needs?

I was planning on trying to get a in-swing so it would be better for using as gun room/shelter.

Did you frame yours in? If so, what did you use?

Thanks

Last edited by Bobbss; 07/29/23 03:23 AM.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A friend has a dehumidifier in his running to a floor drain, and a timed ventilation system that sucks in air from inside the building and exhausts it outside. He has the same system for the house because it was built tight.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by esshup
A friend has a dehumidifier in his running to a floor drain, and a timed ventilation system that sucks in air from inside the building and exhausts it outside. He has the same system for the house because it was built tight.
Thanks Esshup, I thought about something like that but was just thinking of it going back into the unfinished part of the basement.
Does your friend have any moisture problems doing it that way?
What I worry most about is I want to finish the ceiling some way or another and I'm worried about the concrete ceiling sweating during the winter.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
A
Online Content
A
Dad's house was built in 1963 - has a concrete room under a double garage. No ventilation other than when someone opens the door. Dehumidifier dumps into cistern underneath the concrete room. All it has for heat is a small space heater near the well pump and associated plumbing. The concrete walls/ceiling are unfinished and have never been sealed. He's never had any problems with the walls or ceiling sweating. Put a decent dehumidifier in there and it should stay nice and dry.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Bobbss
Originally Posted by esshup
Thanks Esshup, I thought about something like that but was just thinking of it going back into the unfinished part of the basement.
Does your friend have any moisture problems doing it that way?
What I worry most about is I want to finish the ceiling some way or another and I'm worried about the concrete ceiling sweating during the winter.

Poured concrete ceiling over a metal ceiling. No humidity or moisture problems in there at all.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks guys for the info. I will make sure I get a good dehumidifier? I was looking at my house plans and it shows 3, 4" vents.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Just thought I would give a update. They poured the footings Tuesday and are now working on putting the forms up for foundation.

After a lot of research I ordered a vault door. It is going to cost me a lot more than I was hoping to spend, but I went with a American Security VD8036BFIS, which is a in swing and has a 1/2" solid steel plate. Most doors that even cost more, have mush thinner steel.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
1 member likes this: gehajake
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Just thought I would give a update. They poured the footings Tuesday and are now working on putting the forms up for foundation.

After a lot of research I ordered a vault door. It is going to cost me a lot more than I was hoping to spend, but I went with a American Security VD8036BFIS, which is a in swing and has a 1/2" solid steel plate. Most doors that even cost more, have mush thinner steel.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
8ball3290, BradVV, patcinkc, Teg
Recent Posts
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by FishinRod - 05/08/24 02:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/08/24 01:22 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023