Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, Steve Clubb), 933 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
F
Q#2 : I thought I had read several times that a problem with GSH , as a forage species is a disease or maybe parasite of the ovaries that was common amongst GSH , Ovipleistophora ? If I misunderstood or misread , then it's a non issue , and I happily have a forage factory .

Q#3 : Over ran with all sizes of BG , and GSF . BG boil the water at feeding time , they were never part of the plan , neither were the GSF. IDK if Saugeye can eliminate the two, but I hope so . SMB and YP, with WE as a bonus was original plan .The snails , much better , One tenth the snails in two years , highly recommend RES . Learned a hard lesson in stocking fish . Always large enough to Identify. Sort them slowly . Hope I've clarified #2 and #3 . Thank You very much for your time , it is gratefully appreciated.

A side note, an observation, maybe a coincidence . Not related to above. When I switched this spring from 32% and 36% Catfish feed and multi-species farm store feed , to a Fish meal based feed , my GC , came to feed a couple times , stayed at the perimeter of the oil slick failed to feed and left. The expense of feeding a high protein fish meal feed may be recouped in what is not lost to GC . They used to dominate feedings. Coincidence , don't know , but pleasant . Maybe to close to cannibalism for them , LOL !!!

S
S
I can tell ya from experience with the state, if you stock enough (too many-by accident) they'll take everything out, BUT.. they prefer the common sunfish shape over other fish.. we don't know why.
The numbers we use are 8 per acre max for panfish control without making an impact on other species.
As a main predator, 20-25 per acre can be used but they will work on the LMB, YP in some manner as reproduction of those species is abundant.
Where you have fairly consistent fishing pressure, you could jump-start the process by stocking more initially and advising customers at year 1 post-stock to pull a certain number for the skillet.

F
F
Thank you , everyone , for thoughts. We'll move forward when available on Saugeye, and assume the large GSH are still fertile and earning their Optimal JR.

C
OP Offline
C
If someone can give advice on how to get a walleye that we never can see and are not exactly sure is even there to bite on something (lure, live bait, technique, time of day?) I hope to stock some more YP and if there are 14-16" WE in my pond they will make those stockers disappear very rapidly I'm afraid. I think instead of WE being a put and take bonus predator it might be a little more of a hungry predator then I can keep up with in my tiny pond especially if there are 5 or 6 in there and not 1 or 2.

I'd like to switch my apex predator to SMB and fellow forum member Ron Crimson lives close by and is doing amazing things growing and pellet training SMB and YP. So the goal is to remove WE (and IF we can catch one or more we will at the same time be able to determine if any survived, how many, what condition they are in)

S
S
CC, Ron's got a very unique situation at his place and I absolutely wish him the best with the new ponds as well.
As for your WAE ventures, try a 3-4" minnow on just a hook, fish under a bobber (pencil type) in 4-6' with bait about a foot off of bottom.
The last 30 min of daylight to 30 min after is likely the best time. If no luck on a minnow, try the largest nightcrawlers you can find, fished the same way.

Last edited by Snipe; 08/05/23 10:56 PM.
1 member likes this: FishinRod
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I agree with Snipe's WE advice above.

I would add that you might try some extra fishing man-days before and during the time of the LMB spawn in your area.

I have caught MANY more WE (while fishing for LMB) during that period than in the entire rest of the year combined while fishing in large impoundments.

Don't know if the WE were spawning, or just mimicking spawning behaviors, or if it was related to the predominant predator (LMB) spawning, but the WE were far more catchable during that time period in my experience.

[**WE should spawn earlier than LMB in most conditions.]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Snipe, am I understanding correctly that some level of government has and can exercise stocking and management of private property?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
S
Dave, Kansas has some private property that the fisheries division manages the fishery in these private ponds if the owner allows public access. Other than that, no, they stay out of private ventures.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That makes more sense.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
H
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
If someone can give advice on how to get a walleye that we never can see and are not exactly sure is even there to bite on something (lure, live bait, technique, time of day?) I hope to stock some more YP and if there are 14-16" WE in my pond they will make those stockers disappear very rapidly I'm afraid. I think instead of WE being a put and take bonus predator it might be a little more of a hungry predator then I can keep up with in my tiny pond especially if there are 5 or 6 in there and not 1 or 2.

I'd like to switch my apex predator to SMB and fellow forum member Ron Crimson lives close by and is doing amazing things growing and pellet training SMB and YP. So the goal is to remove WE (and IF we can catch one or more we will at the same time be able to determine if any survived, how many, what condition they are in)

I've got WE the same size as you and I catch them on a Ned rig crawfish color.

My YP/SM & WE all come up mornings and evenings when I hand feed...the YP/SM are pretty quick but the WE cruze slow like sharks taking the pellets, easy to see under water to with the white trim on fins.

D
D
CC, I have caught countless walleye on 1/8 - 1/4 oz jig heads with plastics. Paddle tails like B-Fish-N's Pulse-Rs or Lunker City Ribsters will slow down the fall of the jig when they're not as aggressive. Minnow style like Gulp Minnows or Northland Impulse Minnows can be worked harder when they're being more aggressive. Just cast out and jig them back in, feeling the bottom before you jig again. If you get out in a little boat, I also like Jigging raps/ Shiver minnows on a more vertical jigging presentation. I've not gotten too many walleye on blade baits, but I have gotten a lot of Saugeye on vertical jigging blade baits.

Instead of plastics, you can try jigging live minnows, worms, and leeches as well.

[Linked Image from lh6.ggpht.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!