Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Those dirty Canada Geese are migrating North again. The young couples often stop to see if my pond is a good nesting site. What are your best methods to shoo away geese??
I have a pair of plastic swans which I move every day, and the geese simply hang out in another part of the pond.
I have a pellet gun, which only scares them about half the time. The stubborn ones end up bloodied, and I don't want to be disposing of bodies, so I gave up on using pellets.
From advice on FB, I got a powerful green laser! Surely that will scare them off. Well, for one thing, it is very difficult to repeatedly hit a moving goose in the eye with a laser from 100 yards, but I'm having more success aiming by using a tree for stability. When I do hit them in the eye, they just move their head. They DON'T become flightful. Next I'll try the decorative scatter lens for the laser, but I don't have much hope at this point. If you have success using a laser, what am I doing wrong?
They don't seem afraid of my dogs or me, because they can escape into the water. I have a small island accessible only by boat, so they have (unintended) refuge there, too.
Chase them in the boat! That works! They fly away, even from the island, if I row after them in my noisy jonboat. That seems like too much effort to scare off a pair of stupid geese, but it's the only thing that works every time.
Any other ideas?

"Live your life so that when you sing your death song, you will die like a hero who is going home with no shame to meet the Creator and your family." - Tecumseh; April 9, 1809
Z
Z
We have a couple of old wooden tennis rackets that make a very loud and annoying noise when hit together. The geese start honking the minute they hear them clanging and generally take off the closer I get. If you have an island, that may be another story......They rarely show up once nesting season is over.

1 member likes this: Hirsch56
A
A
If legal in your state, you can addle the eggs. Won't cause the geese to leave right away, but at least shortens their stay and makes it less likely you'll have to deal with younguns next year.

Last edited by anthropic; 04/02/22 04:35 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Originally Posted by Hirsch56
The stubborn ones end up bloodied, and I don't want to be disposing of bodies ...
That's what coyotes are for.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bottle rockets shoved inside a PVC tube after being lit, have a cap on the back end so you don't get blasted by the exhaust..... You can aim it, sort of.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: SherWood
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Your situation - particularly the small island - sounds exactly like my situation when we bought our place back in 2009. The first couple of years we welcomed the geese and their babies because, well, nature. Then after year 2, we realized what a freaking mess they create and got tired of cleaning goose poop off our shoes after fishsing. Stepping in the occasional pile of dog poop is bad enough. This put me over the top. We have an area on our farm we refer to as carcass gulch because that was always where we discarded deer carcasses after processing them. Suffice it to say, there have been other species join the deer skeletons down there. Two to three seasons of aggressively dissuading them from hanging out on our pond has done the trick and we have not had resident geese for a long time. A pair will try now and then but I find that a daily dose of birdshot fired from any manner of scatter gun is a great deterrent and, after only a few days, they give it up. I just shoot in front of or behind them these days and a few shots usually does the trick. From far enough away, there's little risk of injuring them with a properly placed shot, even out of a 12 gauge. Plus, who doesn't enjoy shooting? It's a win-win!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
J
Few things work as well, and are as fun as this!

Remote Control Speed Boat

1 member likes this: Hirsch56
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Todd3138
Plus, who doesn't enjoy shooting? It's a win-win!
My neighbors don't enjoy shooting, and they remind the Sheriff of that every time I loose a round. Nothing illegal about shooting out here, but it's just not worth the hassle any more. It's a waste of both mine and the Deputy's time.

"Live your life so that when you sing your death song, you will die like a hero who is going home with no shame to meet the Creator and your family." - Tecumseh; April 9, 1809
OP Offline
Originally Posted by esshup
Bottle rockets shoved inside a PVC tube after being lit, have a cap on the back end so you don't get blasted by the exhaust..... You can aim it, sort of.
I'm ordering some today. The local Fireworks shops seem to be closed in April. We commonly used bottle rockets to attack the MP barracks across the street in Camp Zukeran on Okinawa when I was stationed there in USMC.

C
Online Content
C
A bag of corn, a pound of tanerite, and a .223?

1 member likes this: CrazyCarl
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
A couple coyote decoys have worked for us to keep them off our beach area for about a year now. We move them around every so often.

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...redator-decoy/p/1520225?channel=shopping

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted by catscratch
A bag of corn, a pound of tanerite, and a .223?

laugh laugh laugh

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My neighbors don't enjoy shooting, and they remind the Sheriff of that every time I loose a round. Nothing illegal about shooting out here, but it's just not worth the hassle any more. It's a waste of both mine and the Deputy's time.

I appreciate the hassle, but with a neighbor like that, I may just be tempted to have lots of friendly chats with the sheriff's office who is coming out to visit with me over something not unlawful and just let the neighbor stew in his own juices. But that's me!

Todd La Neve

1 member likes this: CrazyCarl
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

I appreciate the hassle, but with a neighbor like that, I may just be tempted to have lots of friendly chats with the sheriff's office who is coming out to visit with me over something not unlawful and just let the neighbor stew in his own juices. But that's me!

I agree with you. Another thought is to call the Sheriff, give them the address and tell them that you will be shooting and if they get a complaint call, then they know why.

I'd shoot, talk to the deputy, and continue shooting after they left. While I am considerate of my neighbors, sorry, I'm shooting unless you are going to pay me to drive to a range to shoot.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: Todd3138

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images