Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (H20fwler, BillyE, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 746 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
I am expecting to have a 1-1/4 acre pond by summer and thinking about a stocking plan, and could use some advice/insight. My wife wants primarily a sunset/water lilly pond and I am hoping for a place my 7 grandchildren, six of them boys, can fish and swim. We are not looking for trophy fish but would like some good eating.

This is a somewhat northern pond and we typically get 10-15 below and 7-12” of ice on the small lakes near us but the water will probably be too warm for trout as we will only be 9-10’ deep. My thoughts are to stock:

this summer GS, Pumpkin seed, YP
next spring SMB

Are there prior posts on this exact combination? I know that shiners are nest raiders and will eventually get too large for either the YP or the SMB to eat. I hope this will help keep the pond from getting overcrowded with large preditors. The PS are easy to catch and will be great for young beginners, as well as the benefit of eating snails and such. I plan on having spawning beds for the PS and SMB and the lilies plus eel grass, if we can get it to transplant, will be there for GS and YP.

I would also like advice on adding paper shell crayfish; pluses or minuses in northern waters.

I plan to harvest as needed, and especially YP and SMB for dinner, but do not want this pond to require a lot of management. I also plan to aerate at some pont.

Your advice, previous posts, etc. are appreciated.

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
I think you need to add fathead minnows to your mix. They go in first and feed everybody else that comes later. (Especially if they get to heavily reproduce before some of the other fish are added.)

R
OP Offline
R
Yes, I will do that. They may not last but they a good cheap forage fish.

I should add that I have looked a quite a few threads including "2.25 SA pond - build a fishery" by Stressless with comments by Bill Cody, quite informative. Unlike Stressless, I would not be adding WE as a top end predator - would that be a problem? and I do not see RES in any of the NYS approved hatcheries, I assume PS will fill that niche?

Last edited by Retired on 40; 03/25/22 08:25 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yes, the PS will fill the RES niche. You might have to supplementally stock some SMB later down the road, keep an eye on the PS numbers. Dave Willis in South Dakota noticed some ponds with PS/SMB got to be PS stunted.

You could add some Hybrid Bluegill for the kids to catch, but I'd only put in 50-100. They have bigger mouths so they can get hooked with a bigger hook than the PS.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
OP Offline
R
esshup, thank you for the input. I imagine that PS culling is where a few WE would be useful.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you have decent shoreline woody cover in a back area of the pond the FHM might be able to maintain a resident minimal population. Get eelgrass established first before adding papershell crayfish in years 2 or 3. Add SMB fingerlings after the 1st YP spawn.
Use rocky / broken construction waste concrete sizeable lengthy areas preferably downwind shores for papershell habitat. PM me for some beneficial eelgrass seed plants. I would allow the SMB to become established with one spawn before adding the PS to minimize their overpopulation. IMO first stocking of PS could be mature sizes of 4"-5" and around 20-50 of them should get the population started with their first spawn. Do you plan to get the PS from a fish farm or wild caught? If you get eelgrass established / planted at 1st pond filling, I would check out some local streams for trapping and transplanting some bluntnose minnows(BNM) which should be a very common creek species in NY. BNM are easy to catch in bread baited drab colored Gee minnow traps. The 3 main small fish to definitely avoid in creek minnow transfer are carp, bullheads, green sunfish and any sunfish. Very few stream shiners will spawn in your pond except goldens, spotfins and satinfins. Spotfins & satinfin are sparse in the FingerLks streams and good to have in the pond if you trap some.. Creek chubs will grow big and eat fish fry in your pond but will not spawn. I don't think any of the chubs or dace in the Finger Lk area will spawn in your pond; although never a problem if they do and will serve as diversifying the forage. Trench, Rudd and Bitterling do not occur in FingerLK area so no problem with them. .

see this for locations of BNM in NY.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/94469.html

See this good distribution map for the minnows of NY.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/85663.html

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/26/22 08:45 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
1 member likes this: teehjaeh57
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Bill’s gold

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
OP Offline
R
Bill, informative and insightful as always! I couldn't pay for such good advice.

If I get it, the order of addition should be:

First summer add FHM, GS, YP and attempt to establish eel grass.
Next spring, after YP spawn, add SMB.
Second spring, after SMB spawn, add PS and crayfish.

Add minows and chubs from local streams. ( "Stocking personally collected fish from another water body" would be officially forbidden under NYS law although I assume people do it https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25026.html)

To answer your question, I plan to get PS from a local hatchery.

I have piles of tree roots, brush, and cut up trees that I plan to add for forage cover. I have rushes, that seem to thrive in partial submersion, that I intend to transplant around the pond edge, and plan to add pickerel and iris as emergent cover and GSH spawning material. I also have some rocks, concrete chunks and slabs to add downwind for crayfish. Last summer we had lilies and some FA in 250gal stock tanks with GSH and they had no problem spawning so they should be fine.

I will attach a diagram of the pond we are building with proposed structure below.

Thanks Bill, your post is exactly what I needed.

Attached Images
Pond Topography  & Structure.jpg
Last edited by Retired on 40; 03/27/22 02:47 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Nice looking plan for the new pond. Plenty of rock/stone/concrete will create lots of good habitat. for small fishes. It will be interesting to see how your pond progresses and matures as time passes. Please keep us updated. We can learn lots of good things from your pond adventures. There are all sorts of 'natural' pathways that stream minnows can find their way into a pond. "Nature has its ways".

Stream chubs that rarely spawn in ponds, especially the large mature creek chubs (8"-10") have little benefit in ponds except for being soft rayed forage fish for big predators. Small adult size chubs in the Fingerlakes area are always good prey fish for SMB. Do good homework recognizing local stream minnow type fishes. Good, clear, close, side view pictures from your catches and we can help identify things caught in a minnow trap/s. Minnows freshly dead are easiest to photograph. also good are pictures of fish in a zip loc bag with a small thin wall amount of water between the two walls of the bag.

Here are some good pictures of what the very common bluntnose minnow looks like. Notice the rounded nose, dark lateral body stripe, and the prominent black spot at the tail end. BNM will thrive very well in a pond such as you are planning. It also grows real well in small lakes with good refuge habitat
http://fishesofboneyardcreek.weebly.com/bluntnose-minnow.html

https://gallery.nanfa.org/v/members...notatus+Bluntnose+Minnow+4677ws.JPG.html

https://tnacifin.com/fish/bluntnose-minnow/

https://therouge.org/bluntnose-minnow/

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/27/22 08:09 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree with Bill about the pond plan. Keep an eye out for geese. They love to eat the eel grass, so chase them away if they find the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
OP Offline
R
Update on NY pond stocking. In line with recommendations,we put in 20 lbs of FHM and 10 lbs of GS around April 1, but struggled to find a source of YP in NY and PA. Zetts was willing to supply 100 2-3" fingerlings (no more!) and we got the shipment today. The minnows have been spawning successfully and there are literally 10's of thousands of them everywhere along the edge and especially in the beach area which is a cloud of YOY minnows; the perch will have lots to snack on.

Water clarity rose to about 5', then we got lots of rain and some inflow and now it is down to 2-3'. Besides perch, it has been a struggle to get eel grass (few have it, Kester's were contaminated with zebra mussels and Wicklein's was only able to provide 50) and no clasping pondweed this year. Other suppliers that I have used in the past have had none of either. So, I will have to put off stocking crayfish for at least another year until the plants get established.

I also put in some hay and added daphnia from Smith Creek. I don't know how you tell if that worked, but hope so.

Bottom line, 3" YP is my top end predator for 2023 but will try to stock more 4-6" YP in fall if available and SMB next year. Progress!, although slower than wished.

A note on geese. We had 2 different pairs consider nesting in the spring. One left after a few shotgun blasts. The second just jumped in the pond when we tried that. In the end, I went out on the pond in a canoe and had my son fire his shotgun into the air a few times. The geese thought about going into the pond (which they had done the first time we tried the shotgun) but looked at me in their escape route and flew off. Good for 1 year at least.

Last edited by Retired on 40; 07/13/23 04:50 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
At this point do your best to stock YP at 4"-6" this fall because the 2"-3" YP received July 12 were likely mostly all the small ones and males from the 2022 year class. 4"-6" in fall could be a mixed gender ratio. Ask about year hatched when you buy them - you want 2023 year class of YP. The length of the 100 YP from Zetts in Sept (hook and line) will be an indication how well they are growing. If in Sep-Oct they are 5"-6" they were 2023 hatchlings; smaller - then runts form 2022. 6" YP bought in fall 2023 will produce spawn in 2024.

Daphnia were probably already present in the pond, however adding some will not be a waste of money. If the pond was not turbid muddy then the hay was not needed to have Daphnia succeed. Shiners as open water fish will eat a lot of Daphnia and keep the population pretty suppressed. After several years the original stocked shiners at 8"-9" may become pests and have to have a focused harvest. These big shiners can be hand-fed to the SMB by removing tails from the shiners so bass can easily catch them. Entertaining way to grow really big SMB.

If you can locate some SMB this fall as fingerlings, I would stock around 10-15 to get them well established on the abundant minnow population. Then in 2024 you can add 20-30 more to have two initial stocker year classes so the pond has a good SMB size distribution of predators.

At this point I would not add PS until the bass are well established and have spawned the first time. This will help reduce chances of them becoming over abundant as noted by esshup above. . With your habitat conditions the YP and GSH could easily sustain the SMB population if the SMB are not allowed to over populate. Just several adult SMB can put a lot of predation pressure on the YP & and smaller GSH. Lots of GSH can be somewhat of a problem. Later if you want PS you can add some PS when bass are established and reproducing.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/15/23 02:43 PM.

R
OP Offline
R
Bill, thank you for the insights. I hope the Zett's YP are 2023 as I was on their list to get some for several months and they said they wouldn't ship until the reached this size. It seem that almost everyone in the northeast struggled with spawns and timing this year. The heat, followed by a hard frost, killed as much as 100% of the blossoms on some grape varieties and certainly disrupted SMB spawn (according to Zett's).

Local hatcheries say they will have YP in Sept. but none of the NYS approved hatcheries think they will have SMB. PS will be harder to get anyway, so waiting is no big deal.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023