Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 712 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#545187 03/13/22 11:18 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello!
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Dozer will be on site in a few weeks to start my new one acre pond here at the house.
My plan is to aerate, feed, and place plenty habitat in this pond.
As far as what I want to stock, HBG and CC is what I’m concentrating on. Don’t have enough room for bass in just an acre in my opinion.
I understand this will be a “put and take” situation and i’m ok with that.
Do y'all this is a good combo and what other suggestions do you have?

I live in La Grange, Texas about an hour southeast of Austin.

Thanks for your time,
Noel

Last edited by NSpannTX; 03/13/22 01:56 PM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum. Contractor better be bringing more than a dozer to the party...

Any test holes dug yet? If so, any sand, gravel or rock excavated? Has clay plasticity been determined? What's the watershed size? Have you discussed how the core trench will be constructed? Does contractor own a sheepsfoot roller? If not, how will core trench be compacted and basin/sidewalls?

I've helped hundreds of guys nationwide with leaking ponds and without exception they all wished they'd found us [Pond Boss] before they started the project. Thankfully, you just have. If you want to chat I can provide a checklist of what the pond builder should be doing - if any of these steps are unfamiliar to the contractor, seek another contractor. Too much to relate here, not much of a typist these days, but can cover a lot of ground on a short call. Happy to help, it's my duty as a volunteer here, and my time is free to this community.

TJ

tj@hudlandmgmt.com

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

2 members like this: 4CornersPuddle, ewest
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I’ve always thought that only Bluegills can spawn enough to feed bass and only bass can control the rolling spawns that bluegills have in most of Texas.

And only fishing can keep bass culled enough to have a balanced pond.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to posting. CC and HBG will work in a put and take fishery, but add FH to start. I would also add a few RES (50) when you add the FH.

Call TJ and then call Mike Otto (dry TX expert pond builder). There is a lot more to planning a pond than just digging a hole.

Last edited by ewest; 03/14/22 03:55 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you need another predator in there, I'd add some Hybrid Striped Bass vs. LMB. Look into feeding the fish too. They will grow a lot faster, so the time between put and take is much shorter.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
One can easily grow 6-7 lb LMB in a 1 ac TX pond. Proper harvest of small bass, habitat, pellet feeding and aeration help a lot to achieve this goal. Good clay soil, proper compaction are important parts so you don't end up with a leaky hole where you come back here for advice and help to fix the leaks. Do it right the first time or you will spend twice the money trying to fix leaks.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/15/22 09:24 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
J
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
One can easily grow 6-7 lb LMB in a 1 ac TX pond. Proper harvest of small bass, habitat, pellet feeding and aeration help a lot to achieve this goal. Good clay soil, proper compaction are important parts so you don't end up with a leaky hole where you come back here for advice and help to fix the leaks. Do it right the first time or you will spend twice the money trying to fix leaks.

+1 on all this.

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks guys.
Yes, contractor is bringing more than just a dozer. That was just a generalization.
Test holes, watershed study, etc has all been done.

Why would I need FH and RES in first? If I'm just stocking HBG and CC wouldn’t feeding be their primary “food”?

Thanks again for your time.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The Fatheads will help boost growth on your CC, and maybe a bit on the HBG depending on their size. If the Fatheads can pull off a few spawns before you put in predators, it will help Eventually the fatheads will dwindle to very few.

The Red Ear Sunfish will keep snails down to a minimum in your pond, and that will help prevent grubs/parasites in the flesh of the fish that you want to harvest/eat.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

1 member likes this: LANGSTER
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Sunil
The Fatheads will help boost growth on your CC, and maybe a bit on the HBG depending on their size. If the Fatheads can pull off a few spawns before you put in predators, it will help Eventually the fatheads will dwindle to very few.

The Red Ear Sunfish will keep snails down to a minimum in your pond, and that will help prevent grubs/parasites in the flesh of the fish that you want to harvest/eat.

Ah, makes sense. Thank you.
So, FHM and RES this year and the rest next year?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Originally Posted by NSpannTX

Ah, makes sense. Thank you.
So, FHM and RES this year and the rest next year?

Did you ever say if you were going to use fish feed? If so, you may be able to do a spring forage stocking and a fall predator stocking, but if you are not going to feed, you'll need a lot of forage fish to grow the Channel Cats and then I would lean towards a 1 year separation between forage fish and predator fish.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Also, if not feeding, I would wonder about sustainability of the forage base.

N
OP Offline
N
Yes sir will be feeding.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That really expands the potential.

Have you given any thought as to how many CC or HBG you will harvest each year? You may be able to find some optimal number of fish per seasonal batch of stocking where the forage base remains somewhat intact while you are harvesting the fish you want, and letting the next date class grow.

Also, do you want the CC to reproduce? If so, they you need some specific structures for them to do it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Also, do you want the CC to reproduce? If so, they you need some specific structures for them to do it.

The pond would be a lot easier to manage if they didn't reproduce in the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: ewest
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
NST,

I did a similar post a while back. I received a lot of good advice from the usual suspects.

Here is the link.

Catfish Pond

N
OP Offline
N

Have you given any thought as to how many CC or HBG you will harvest each year? You may be able to find some optimal number of fish per seasonal batch of stocking where the forage base remains somewhat intact while you are harvesting the fish you want, and letting the next date class grow.

That part of the equation I don’t have an answer for, have no idea how many I need to harvest to maintain “balance”.

I don’t think I want them to spawn. I would like to have some sort of control of numbers.

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by FishinRod
NST,

I did a similar post a while back. I received a lot of good advice from the usual suspects.

Here is the link.

Catfish Pond

Rod,
Thanks! Alot of the same questions I have and very similar situation down to the nearby creek.
Perfect post, thanks again.

J
J

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks to everyone for the information, it is much appreciated.
Now, lets talk numbers. Remembering that I will be feeding, aerating, approx 1 acre of water what would stocking numbers look like for you?
FHM:
RES:

HBG:
CC:
HSB:

Thanks again

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Get all the cats you want at initial stocking. They will spawn but the babies swim slowly and go everywhere in a school. Easy to pick off. I’ve tried it several times in new ponds with predators with either no luck or skill.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
S
I've had a different response from CC Dave, but the reason I have I think is because my BG got ahead of my LMB and prevented the LMB from having recruits. Not enough predation and plenty of good places for the CC to spawn. I have had CC recruits (lots of them) ever since about two or three years after stocking. We harvest 50-60 2# plus CC every year the last few years. Right now I have way too many of harvest size that I need to either trap or fish out this next year. I bet we should take a hundred out of my 3 acre main pond this coming year. (going fully retired, wife and I have been traveling extensively so not much fishing last year). I may have to look into trapping rather than angling.

I think the CC recruitment will be over now since we are now catching small LMB (proving recruitment) plus all the SMB I transferred from my SMB pond and last year the HSB we added. I have probably went from too many BG to too many bass in short order. But my pond goals are not lofty. I just like to catch lots of fish when I go fishing as I get bored easily, so I am not a tryophy size type angler. I will have just as much fun catching small bass as I do BG.

Last edited by snrub; 03/21/22 09:40 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
John, you did better than me. Congrats.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM