Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,134
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
12 members (Bigtrh24, Freg, Boondoggle, Sunil, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Bill Cody, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose), 962 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Hi all, my one acre pond has finally filled. I have a 8” drain going thru the dam that has started to leak on the back side of the dam about 30 feet from the waters edge. The pipe is about 2 feet under water and has a mortar collar poured around it on the water slope. The top of the collar is in about a foot of water and the bottom in about 2 1/2 feet. I also built in a ball valve at the end of the pipe for draining purposes.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago when the water was lower the pond iced then the snow melt pushed the ice up under the drain end and lifted the pipe assembly about 4 inches. The mortar collar essentially was raised up above the pond slope exposing a small gap under the pipe. Today, a week later, I notice a very soft spot where the water is seeping out on the back slope.

My best immediate guess of a plan is to get two or three hundred pounds of bentonite and try to seal around the mortar collar. I have access to “bentonite chips” and “bentonite powder” from a local Facebook vendor.

What do you think of the plan? Also, form of bentonite would be best?

Thanks in advance fo the help, Tony

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
No anti-seep collars?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
OP Offline
T
No collars

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
I agree with Theo, you might have a "channel" along the pipe created by the pipe moving in the fill clay. A collar 10-15' into the dam would probably stop the water from working its way along the pipe.

If the gap of the channel is very small, then the swelling bentonite MAY work. If the gap is too large, then the bentonite may just wash out.

Is the pipe just a lateral with a slight slope? How far underground is your pipe? Those parameters will probably change the advice if you have to go with an "invasive" repair.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd go with the chips vs. powder.

Then this summer when the water is lower, fix the problem so it doesn't happen again this upcoming winter.

Welcome to the forum!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
OP Offline
T
Pipe is a lateral with a slight slope. At the crown of the dam it is probably 3 1/2 to 4 ft deep.

T
OP Offline
T
I will try to apply bentonite chips this evening to see if I can stop the leak around the collar.

If the water is lower than the pipe in the summer would it be possible to dig down around the pipe at the crown of the dam and construct a sand filter for a permanent fix?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by ttdigiacomo
I will try to apply bentonite chips this evening to see if I can stop the leak around the collar.

If the water is lower than the pipe in the summer would it be possible to dig down around the pipe at the crown of the dam and construct a sand filter for a permanent fix?

How would a sand filter fix it permanently?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Pipe is a lateral with a slight slope. At the crown of the dam it is probably 3 1/2 to 4 ft deep.

Good, not too deep.

If the bentonite (fingers crossed) doesn't work, then you are probably going to have to do some excavating repairs next time your water level is down.

Where frost heaving is a problem, most people run a deeper lateral line and then use a stand pipe as a riser. The ice can't pull up very readily on the exterior of a smooth, vertical pipe.

One option is to dig back past your mortar collar and cut your pipe. Install a 22.5 or 45 ell, a straight section going downwards, another ell (same as previous), a straight section going horizontal, a 90 ell, and then your riser. The top of the riser will still set your pond level. (The advantage is that you could easily change the water level by just temporarily installing a pipe collar and small section of pipe above the existing top.) Bury the first ell back under your dam and rebuild your slope.

The solution above should help with your frost-heaving problem. However, it will be more prone to plugging! You will definitely need an effective trash rack designed to screen out your most typical debris.

Another option is to dig back into your dam a fair distance and install a nice anti-seep collar. Tamp well and re-pack your clay around your drain pipe from the collar all of the way back to the lake inlet before you bury.

Hopefully, someone has some more elegant solutions.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I address spillway leaks with clay/polymer layers compacted by hand and with the few projects completed they were successful. If you prefer using bentonite I suggest the same method, high plasticity clay layers and bentonite compacted to achieve a seal. Anti seep collars are always strongly recommended. If you want to reach out to discuss I’m happy to chat anytime.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by teehjaeh57
I address spillway leaks with clay/polymer layers compacted by hand and with the few projects completed they were successful. If you prefer using bentonite I suggest the same method, high plasticity clay layers and bentonite compacted to achieve a seal. Anti seep collars are always strongly recommended. If you want to reach out to discuss I’m happy to chat anytime.

I highly recommend the polymer product that TJ has. It works wonders. If the bentonite doesn't work, try that stuff.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the continued responses.

First, I’m going to eliminate future ice lifting the pipe problems by adding a small bubbler from my aeration system to run in the winter under the pipe area to prevent ice.

Second, I pick up 300 lbs of bentonite chips tonight (similar to Aquablok) and will apply around the pipe in a 4 foot radius tomorrow afternoon. Will add more if needed.

Third, what is the polymer product that TJ uses? If the bentonite isn’t effective I would like to try that.

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Third, what is the polymer product that TJ uses? If the bentonite isn’t effective I would like to try that.

Soilfloc.

Also if you look for TJ posts using the search function, it is: teehjaeh57

Finally, the bubbler idea sounds good. Stops ice heaving around your outlet and adds a little oxygen. Win-win!

A
A
Owning a pond is a joy, but as this thread illustrates, it can also be one dam thing after another.

Last edited by anthropic; 03/09/22 06:21 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

1 member likes this: Stressless
Lunker
Lunker
Reach out anytime, as a volunteer here my time is always free to the Pond Boss family. If you elect to go the polymer route I can source a PB forum discount, too.

tj@hudlandmgmt.com

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

1 member likes this: FishinRod
T
OP Offline
T
Think I may have isolated the problem.

I spread 300 lbs of bentonite chips around mortar cap surrounding the drain pipe but the leak didn’t stop. Today I decided to open the drain valve and lower the water a bit to see the pipe and mortar better. I discovered that when the ice pressured the pipe, it actually opened a significant gap between the mortar cap and the PVC.

Draining the pond another half a foot and will seal the gap between the pipe and the mortar shield tomorrow. I’m pretty sure that is the source of the problem and am hoping this will solve the issue.

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
I am optimistic that you have now pinned down the problem.

Hopefully, you can create a leak-proof repair and then your pond will be fully ready to go for the spring rains!

T
OP Offline
T
Spread another 300 lbs of Bentonite chips mixed with dirt over and around the mortar repair yesterday. Should know in a few days if fixes worked - I think they will.

1 member likes this: Stressless
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Wishing you luck

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
OP Offline
T
Well friends, the repairs worked. Seep has dried up as a result of fixing the cracked mortar collar with hydraulic cement and covering the face of the pipe penetration with 300 lbs of bentonite chips (coated gravel). I’ll be installing a small bubbler near the overflow so the ice won’t lift the pipe and re-open the leak in following winters.

A tip for using bentonite chips - mix 50-50 with dirt prior to spreading. The bentonite goes further and the dirt gives the swelled up bentonite “snot” more body.

Thanks for all the help!

Tony

2 members like this: DannyMac, jpsdad
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
A tip for using bentonite chips - mix 50-50 with dirt prior to spreading. The bentonite goes further and the dirt gives the swelled up bentonite “snot” more body.

Tony

I am glad that your repair worked!

Thanks for posting the update and the good advice on proper "snot" repair procedures.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Great thread!

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
1 member likes this: DannyMac

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 10:30 AM
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday