Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,978
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, anthropic, DrewSh, Augie, Theo Gallus), 1,184 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#541359 11/15/21 11:45 AM
F
Lunker
OP Online Content
Lunker
F
Went out to work on the farm yesterday and saw a monster buck on my neighbor's property. I estimate that this buck weighed at least 300#.

I saw a few last winter that were also the same size.

Every "monster" I have seen in the last three years has had a thick gray coat, including the one I saw yesterday. However, the does around him still had their reddish-brown coats. And their coats were definitely not as thick.

I assume all of the deer in Kansas develop a thicker coat for winter.

Do the big bucks develop an even thicker coat due to their raging hormones during the rut? Does their winter coat change color compared to their summer coat?

Below is a picture of a nice 10-point buck from our farm this summer (July 27th). His summer coat is still sleek, and definitely reddish-brown. He is pretty big, but definitely not as big as the gray monsters I see in the winter.

(I am trying to determine if the monsters are different genetics, or just "my" bucks grown up a little more.)

Thanks for any help or knowledge the experts can provide!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com</div>
<br>

</div>

</td></tr>

</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

<div id=
F
Lunker
OP Online Content
Lunker
F
Sorry, the picture I posted came out a little small.

If you right-click on the pic and select "Open image in a new tab", then you can see him much better.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's the difference between the thinner summer coat and the thicker winter coat. Our deer here in Northern Indiana do the same thing. Go from a more reddish color to a more grey color.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: FishinRod
F
Lunker
OP Online Content
Lunker
F
Nature usually makes good sense.

However, to my eye, it looks like the biggest bucks have the heaviest coats and the 1-1/2 year-old does have the thinnest coats.

The bucks have the most favorable surface area-to-mass ratio to stay warm during the winter. The little does are almost as tall through the back as the bigger does, yet they still have spindly little legs and 1/2 the mass of the bigger does. This seems inverted for long-term species survival.

I am going to watch my cameras more closely this year and see if the coats of the smaller deer thicken significantly as we move to late December.

P.S. I have never caught any of the truly "monster" bucks in my area on a game camera. My cameras are set up on the main travel paths and on the feeders on our farm.

Are the big bucks so smart that they have read Robert Frost, and when it comes to paths, they know to take "the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference"?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've caught a monster buck on trail cam once for a 3 picture sequence. When he heard the cam trigger he immediately went back the way he came and the last 2 pictures of him were him looking over his shoulder at the camera. I saw him once in person and never saw him again.

FishinRod, you are thinking of Bergmann's Rule.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
G
Been my experience that your older bucks are more grayish color then younger deer, usually one way of distinguishing and older deer if you just see a picture of the head, it's more grayish usually.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
1 member likes this: FishinRod
J
J
Fishing Rod,

Can't say this has anything to do with it but there may be predator/prey influence that has adapted the summer time red/orange coloration. It is thought that tigers developed orange coloration as camouflage making it difficult for deer to see them. The color is mistaken for green by the native deer there and so it is the perfect color in places where the growing season is long. (Our whitetail) deer are reddish brown in the summer time when green is a prevalent color ... so maybe this color helps/helped with a predator that had a similar vision limitation? Here is more on tigers.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/16/21 10:53 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

F
Lunker
OP Online Content
Lunker
F
Thanks for all of the help, everyone! I am new to watching my deer on camera in the fall, and then watching them again from the stand in the winter.

It is a very complicated puzzle to "figure out" all of their patterns. However, just like with trying to catch wily fish, the more you know about their patterns and lifestyle, the better job you can do.

I will say that BOTH colors of my deer are nearly perfectly matched to their background.

The reddish-brown deer blend in perfectly to the color of our tall-grass prairie mix after it goes dormant in the fall.

The larger/older gray deer blend in perfectly to the color of our tree trunks and bare plum thicket stems after the leaves have dropped.

Now that I have all of my cameras out, I am going to see if the coats on the big does are more gray and thicker compared to the younger. I am also going to check the coat changes on our little spike bucks and the 4-pointers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/26/24 04:06 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 02:46 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM