Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 710 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
I have a new 3.5 acre pond filling off of run off and wet weather springs. I have a small 1/4 acre pond up hill, across the dirt township road that has a pretty nice spring feeding it. I thought I may catch that overflow and run it into my new pond. Help turn over water, etc.

I have largemouth and bluegill in the "upstream" pond, but want to do exclusively SMB, perch, and RES in the new one. If I catch the run off from the currently stocked pond, is there any way to prevent contaminating the pond down stream? Or am I just wishful thinking?

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Roy,

I had a similar question, but using water from a creek.

If you do install your project, then you must have a filtering system in place for 100% of the water that is transferred from the upper pond to the lower pond.

You could install a smaller pipe (like 2") to move some water from the upper pond to the lower. Set that pipe between the full pool level and the normal pool level, that way you only transfer excess water from significant rain events and cannot drain down your upper pond.

This pipe must have a filter at all times! It also must fail in "safe mode". For example, the filter clogs and quits transferring water, rather than the filter clogs and is blown off the pipe allowing unrestricted water to the lower pond.

Bill Cody says the mesh size to capture all fish eggs and fry is 500 micrometers = 0.5mm.

FireIsHot posted in this thread how he uses his filters.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=527981#Post527981

Another alternative would be to capture water from significant rain events ABOVE your upstream pond. (Assuming this is only from grasslands or forest with no other ponds or seasonal streams.)

The additional piping required would only be a little more than the length of your upper pond.

Good luck on your new project!

R
OP Offline
R
Talked to a fish guy and he had a different way to tackle it.

Small 1/4 acre pond that's been established isn't anything too special. I don't knwo what's in it other than some mutt bluegill and stunted bass.

He suggested doing a kill in the 1/4 acre pond which is higher, then connecting overflow of 1 into the other.
After the kill, use the upper, small pond as a feeder pond for my YP and RES and minnows, etc... Then if anything gets thru the overflow, it'll just feed my big pond. I can let the panfish get to a size I like and then transplant them to the new, bigger pond...

Goes against my feelings to do a pond kill, but long term it may be a better idea.

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Roy,

Please disregard my first reply - I skimmed your post and made an erroneous conclusion.

I read it as you were building a new "third" pond downstream of your large 3.5 acre pond. The 3.5 acre pond was the LMB/BG pond, and the new "third" pond was going to be the SMB/YP/RES pond. [That was my brain freeze.]

Moving on to your actual situation:

Like you, I would hate to poison out any "living" pond. However, the advice to eliminate any possible "invasive" fish from the upper pond seems very good to me.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Roy, I would definitely go the kill route. With the pond being upstream, and containing unwanted species, there's about a 100% chance they end up in the big pond, which would basically ruin your plans of SMB, YP and RES. I really like your idea of using this smaller pond as kind of a supplemental stocking source. Adding fish is not always the answer, but when it is you'll have a pretty creative way to do it. Keep us updated! Sounds very cool!

2 members like this: 4CornersPuddle, roymunson
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Omaha
Roy, I would definitely go the kill route. With the pond being upstream, and containing unwanted species, there's about a 100% chance they end up in the big pond, which would basically ruin your plans of SMB, YP and RES. I really like your idea of using this smaller pond as kind of a supplemental stocking source. Adding fish is not always the answer, but when it is you'll have a pretty creative way to do it. Keep us updated! Sounds very cool!
Good to hear from someone who's a lot smarter than I on something like this. I love the idea, but as a relative newbie, I don't see all the downfalls involved.

My main objective is to add another water source with little extra effort, and have the water source without the fear of contamination.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
To start out I'd definitely consider Rod's advice on the pipe filter. Don't risk making a mistake at the beginning. After your predators are established, a single, or at least very few, unwanted species should not pose a problem.

And I'm no smarter than anyone else here, I've just read a LOT of great advice from folks with experience!

1 member likes this: 4CornersPuddle
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
roymunson:

If you were a client, I'd recommend you killing the upper pond as well. Make sure you kill it completely. With all the time and $$$ you will be investing in the bigger pond, you don't want any contamination. Killing it is cheap insurance, and the genetics in the upper pond should be refreshed anyway - too much growing potential has been lost. BUT if those species don't fit in with your stocking plans, have no regrets and make sure none will be alive to make it to your other pond.

Using the upper pond as a forage pond for the bigger pond is a good idea.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: roymunson
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks fellas

I see a lot of negative talk about crappie.

I'd WAY rather catch big RES and YP than any crappie, but my thought was in the new pond we'd have enough habitat to hold all of them. Why the hate on crappie?

R
R
I don't hate them. My father in law loves them. That's why I put them in my puddle. They do tend to take over and become stunted. Hopefully the HSB will take care of any new hatchings.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted by roymunson
Thanks fellas

I'd WAY rather catch big RES and YP than any crappie, but my thought was in the new pond we'd have enough habitat to hold all of them. Why the hate on crappie?

Like RStringer said, they do tend to become stunted in a small body of water, unless HEAVILY pressured by fishing and removing them. Their spawns tend to be unpredictable as well. They can spawn earlier than other species and they just outcompete. And paper thin crappies are annoying.

P
P
Thanks fellas

Like RStringer said, they do tend to become stunted in a small body of water, unless HEAVILY pressured by fishing and removing them. Their spawns tend to be unpredictable as well. They can spawn earlier than other species and they just outcompete. And paper thin crappies are annoying.

I’ve been wondering the same thing… my BCP have been in since 2013 and are not paper thin and definitely not overpopulated and none of the ponds around me are either so I guess it depends as they say. Wish I had more crappie than LMB.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Thanks fellas

I’ve been wondering the same thing… my BCP have been in since 2013 and are not paper thin and definitely not overpopulated and none of the ponds around me are either so I guess it depends as they say. Wish I had more crappie than LMB.

Definitely it depends! Thrilled to hear they're working for you. What's your management method? Or link to it if you've posted it elsewhere that I missed. I know a lot of people desire them, but so many regret it eventually.

R
OP Offline
R
I've yet to fish a pond in NE Ohio that was overrun with crappie. But I'm not in love with them. I guess I'd rather have robust RES

P
P
Omaha
LMB is the only management tool I have….. don’t hardly catch any BCP anymore….. they have taken management to a new level

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Omaha
LMB is the only management tool I have….. don’t hardly catch any BCP anymore….. they have taken management to a new level

Ah, yes. LMB will definitely “assist” in your management of BC. I got the impression Roy didn’t have LMB in his plans for the bigger pond.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass