Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Angler8689, Layne, anthropic), 574 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#540811 10/20/21 02:38 PM
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I'm a lot more fisherman than I am hunter so need some advise. What is a good scope that won't break the bank for my 22 cal. rifle. I would like to be accurate at 75 yards with long rifle shells but my old eyes don't do well with open sights anymore! Any suggestions? I am also wanting to help teach my grandson some shooting skills.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Lunker
Lunker
How much do you want to spend?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
One rule of thumb for scopes is don't spend more on the scope than you did on the rifle. That said, there are some really good scopes out there. You have to give us a budget.

About the grandson. make him use the iron sights first. Breath control, sight alignment, and smooth trigger squeeze is a must for young shooter to learn. Lots of dry-firing will help mature his skills.

2 cents added for free.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
G
G
I like to go to a gun shop and look thru their scopes they have in your price range, mostly looking thru them and evaluate your clarity, field of view and other options available such as variable power which is not as important on a 22 caliber, I guess you shouldn't spend more then you do on your gun but I am liable to, obviously if you have a cheaper model of gun its not going to be as consistent as a higher grade gun but as long as you have an reasonable quality gun, a really clear scope will make a huge difference in your accuracy, especially when your eyesight, like mine, is fading a little, I have been known to spend more on the scope then the gun, a good one will make a huge difference.
My 17HMR being a decent example, I have more invested in the scope then I do in a pretty good Ruger brand gun, that thing will drive tacks way on out there well over 100 yards. love it, now I also put a suppressor on it, which cost a good bit more then the scope. Good Luck!

Last edited by gehajake; 10/20/21 06:51 PM.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I go by the adage that you should typically spend more on the scope than the gun, and I typically do. Replaced my Bushnell scope after a few years on my 10-22 when the reticle broke. Bought a Leupold 3x9 and have loved it for over a quarter of a century on that same gun. Have Leupold scopes on all my long guns. Tried a Nikon once and had to have the nitrogen replaced when it fogged. They did it free, but I have never had a Leupold fail. Even their lowest cost scopes are exceptional. I put a Leupold Crossbones scope on my TenPoint crossbow when the stock scope failed. After one of the limbs delaminated, I bought a Ravin crossbow and have to change out the stock scope for the Leupold. The stock Ravin scope is pretty good, but even with lighted reticles on the Ravin scope, the unlighted Leupold offers better low light target acquisition. I call um like I see um. Leupold scopes are not cheap, but nothing is more expensive than buying something that does not do the job that you bought it for.

2 members like this: KingfisherBoiler, gehajake
G
G
I bought my old remington .22 with a scope already on it, used it that way for years till my buddy pointed out to me the giant wide reticles were covering most of my tiny targets I was shooting at, I upgraded it to a much better one and its like night and day difference. I have a couple nikons, so far so good, havent had any problems with them yet, fingers crossed.

1 member likes this: RAH
J
J
For your .22, I'd recommend...

This scope

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
In all fairness, my Nikon was on a 12-gauge rifled-barreled shotgun that is serving its new owner fine since they refilled the nitrogen. The scope is supposedly OK on this gun based on Nikon's literature. They repaired it at no cost to me, so they are a top-notch company that honors the lifetime warranty. I really appreciate good optics and reliability.

1 member likes this: gehajake
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks everyone, and I did start the grandson on open sights. I just really want to improve my ability with the scope. My thoughts pricewise is Extreme top price being $200. Hoping for something really nice in the $150 range. Thanks!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
1 member likes this: gehajake
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
With young eyes, I shot my 10-22 really well. Perhaps open sights are the best option at that price point?

"Rifle scopes, it turns out, are like dates: Good ones don’t come cheap."

https://www.fieldandstream.com/10-best-budget-riflescopes/

Last edited by RAH; 10/22/21 06:06 AM.
G
G
I would plan on spending a couple hundred at least, you can actually get a pretty sweet rimfire scope for around 200. I will guarantee you wont regret the few extra bucks, especially if your eyesight is not like it was 20 years ago.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
And for $300 you can get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-0603-2422-174182-VX-Freedom/dp/B08QSKGZPL/&linkCode=ll1&tag=fsmag-20//?tag=camdenxfas-20&asc_source=browser&asc_refurl=https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/10-best-budget-riflescopes

Last edited by RAH; 10/22/21 08:33 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by RAH
In all fairness, my Nikon was on a 12-gauge rifled-barreled shotgun that is serving its new owner fine since they refilled the nitrogen. The scope is supposedly OK on this gun based on Nikon's literature. They repaired it at no cost to me, so they are a top-notch company that honors the lifetime warranty. I really appreciate good optics and reliability.

RAH, Nikon is now out of the scope business. That happened about a year ago.

I also believe in spending more for glass than you spent on the rifle, but I ALSO believe that you purchase the scope for the distance and light conditions that you will be shooting in. i.e. no need to buy a $1,000+ 50mm objective, 34mm tube 6-30 scope if you will be doing most of your shooting within 100 yds mid-day from a standing/kneeling position.

If you want a scope that will live on the rifle for a long time, I'd look into something with an American name brand (not Barska, etc) that has a 1" tube, 3-9 power, 40 mm objective and is considered to be a "rimfire" scope OR have an adjustable objective. Reason for the last part is that regular rifle scopes are typically set for parallax @ 100 yds. A 32mm tube while find for young eyes, won't bring a whole bunch of light through it for aging eyes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
esshup - What is your assessment of the $300 Leuplod that I posted a link to above? or here

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-3-9x40-rimfire-moa-riflescope

Last edited by RAH; 10/22/21 10:02 AM.
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Journyman, your link to the scope shows 3 different models. Which one are you speaking of?

F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I am looking at a hawke Vantage IR 3x9x40 for $170 . I'm very new to scopes. What does subsonic mean for a scope? Also what is "Mil Dot"?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rah, that Leupold scope looks interesting! The reticle will allow you to judge the distance to the target and the size of the target when set on 9x.

Subsonic = bullets traveling slower than the speed of sound
MOA = minute of angle (it calculates out to be 1.047" @ 100 yds)

I think that Leupold would be a good scope for a .22. My recommendation is to get flip up Blizzard scope caps for it. That way you will keep dust and dirt off of the lenses when not using the scope.

I am comfortable using MOA when talking about group sizes, adjusting a scope, Highflier is probably more comfortable in Mils than I am. I can convert MOA to inches in my head if needed. Maybe not exact, but close enough to be accurate within 2,000 yds.

I just looked at the Hawke scope. Never had a scope that could change the color of the reticle, that is used mostly for low light. All my illuminated scopes have a red reticle when turned on, it's black when it's off.

Since I don't use mil dot reticles, I am not familiar with them. Here is an example I pulled off the internet. A MIL-Dot reticle refers to a standard, specific pattern of duplex crosshair reticles with four small 0.25 mil diameter dots placed along each axis. ... The distance between the centers of any two adjacent dots on a MIL-Dot reticle scope equals 1 Mil, which is about 36" (or 1 yard) @ 1000 yards, or 3.6 inches @ 100 yards.

IF you want to use the reticle for aiming points once you set your zero, you will have to decide whether you will be using standard velocity ammo (1200-1260 fps) or sub sonic ammo (<1,050 fps). The problem that I see with the reticle that is set for a certain ammo velocity is that if the velocity is 100fps+ different than from what the reticle is set at then the reticle won't be accurate for your aiming points.

Now remember the center "X" will always be your zero for the ammo that you adjusted the scope for. i.e., if you bought the HV Hawke scope, and you were using the standard velocity ammo and sighted in the scope using that ammo both the center "X" and the dots would be accurate for bullet drop at different distances. If you wanted to use subsonic ammo in it, you'd have to re-sight in the gun so the "X" was where the bullets were hitting, the dots would still not be accurate for where the bullet would hit at different distances. The dots are not spaced equally, unlike a mil dot or MOA reticle. With those reticles you could zero your rifle for the particular bullet, then use the marks to calculate where your bullet will hit. I will make a small cheat sheet and tape it to the stock. That way I can use the reticle to get the distance to the target if I didn't have my laser rangefinder, look at the cheat sheet and use the marks on the reticle to adjust my aim point. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Last edited by esshup; 10/23/21 10:31 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Very educational ESSHUP! Thank you very much. my rounds are all 1260 and a few say 1280. That is all I can find around here so I will be using the scope with them. Does that help anyone decide what I need? My targets may be as large as an otter! Still probably no more than around 75 yards.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you buy the Hawke scope, please let us know how you like it. The scopes that came with both of my crossbows have both green and red lighted reticles. They need them because the optics are not as good as the unlighted Leupold scope, but the lighted reticles still do not make up for the low light performance of the Leupold. I have found that the red works best at dusk and the green works best at dawn. I use a laser range finder when hunting to avoid math LOL...

Last edited by RAH; 10/24/21 05:33 AM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hard to beat a Leupold

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
P
Agree with you Dave , don’t think you can beat a leupold. They are tough

Lunker
Lunker
For under $200, you can't find a better scope than a Burris Fullfield II 3x-9x.

For under $150, a Bushnell Trophy 3x-9x.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

B
B
Buy a Leupold as others have said and call it a day!

2 members like this: RAH, Pat Williamson
C
C
I like crossbow scopes with the range finding reticles for my .22's. They won't match the distances intended for them but you can take notes. With that said we spend a lot of time launching .22's at 300yd targets (just for fun) so having something other than a single crosshair is nice.

Something I've found great for my aging eyes is the scopes that have an adjustable focus. They are like binoculars in that you can adjust them to your eyesight and not have to wear glasses while shooting. This lets me keep my cheek weld much stronger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??