Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (BillyE, FishinRod, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 747 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#539272 08/27/21 07:18 PM
Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
As my new pond is still filling, I have aspirations of having a small-scale "Blue Cats By Mail" business someday (hopefully by next year), where I'd be able to ship live BC fingerlings to whomever wanted them. I feel like there's a growing demand for BC, and outside of a few states in and around TX/OK/MO, they're hard to come by. I've done a little bit of digging into it, watched a few videos, etc. I was just wondering if anyone here has direct experience with this, and could offer any advice.

Some basic questions:

• Any particular source for the shipping supplies?
  • Preferred mail carrier (FedEX, UPS, etc.)
  • Overnight vs 2-day for Catfish?
  • Sourcing oxygen tanks and getting them filled (never done this)
  • Bag thickness? Box size/thickness? Cooler needed? Ice packs needed?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
J
J
I'll follow with interest Steve_. I don't know how challenging it will be. BC tend to have more issues in transportation than CC ... but ... its a catfish so they ought to be tougher than other fish that are shipped. Hsb and lmb are shipped for example. Maybe snrub or nedoc could comment on their packages from KEO. Snrub picked up but nedocs overnighted FedEx I think.

Last edited by jpsdad; 08/27/21 08:57 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

1 member likes this: Steve_
H
H
Steve,
I found these earlier when I was looking for Satinfin shiners. It might be something you are interested in doing. Never done it myself but it might address overnight vs. 2 day shipping.
https://www.aqpkg.com/products/aquatic-packaging-life-support-bags?variant=22847314722874

Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Heppy
Steve,
I found these earlier when I was looking for Satinfin shiners. It might be something you are interested in doing. Never done it myself but it might address overnight vs. 2 day shipping.
https://www.aqpkg.com/products/aquatic-packaging-life-support-bags?variant=22847314722874

Wow, I've never heard of those! Breathable bags that oxygen can pass through? How does that even work? *Brain explodes due to science overload*

H
H
Steve,
Not an expert by any means but I would check it out to see if it is a viable option for what you are intending to do.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
You might reach out to Zimmerman's fish with questions. http://www.zimmermansfish.com/

J
J
Originally Posted by Steve_
Originally Posted by Heppy
Steve,

Wow, I've never heard of those! Breathable bags that oxygen can pass through? How does that even work? *Brain explodes due to science overload*

I learned that ziploc bags pass oxygen from a paper on keeping hexagena mayfly eggs. The oxygen exchange was sufficient to maintain the eggs. Their eggs were refrigerated to delay hatching. The surface tension of water is high enough to to prevent flow if the holes are small enough I guess. Those employ technology to improve the rates of exchange.

Last edited by jpsdad; 08/28/21 06:35 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

C
C
When you want to do test orders let us know! I dont need catfish but wouldnt mind a small donation for you to test shipping

Im going to ask a lot of questions, but only because I'm clueless

5-20 Acres in Florida. Bass/Tilapia/Bowfin/Gator
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
If I can arrange a shipment, mine will go in a fish tank to grow and assess survival.

A
Online Content
A
For the O2... hit your local welding supply company.

Medical oxygen requires Rx and is very expensive.

Industrial oxygen is plenty good for hauling fishies.

2 members like this: Steve_, FishinRod
Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
Some interesting stuff to think about. I've also seen these cans of oxygen you can buy right from Amazon or a few select big box stores. I think it's for hikers that climb high altitudes, but I could be wrong. Before I begin to think about any of this, I definitely need some damn RAIN! I hate being a slave to the weatherman. Hurricane Ida is going to just go by us to the West, the same as the last storm that came through. TN and western NC will get hit, but not us.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I haven't been on the Pond Boss site for a while.

It looks like my old friends "Rainman" Rex Raines is still in the fish business and active here on the site. If he is still in the business, he could be an invaluable contact.

He is one of several who have shipped fish to me over the year. I always received 100% live fish when I received a box from him.

I have a worm bin in one of the Styrofoam coolers he used to ship fish to me from Missouri to West Virginia, probably at least 10 years ago.

He is probably pretty busy this time of year. But if you can get in touch with him when he isn't on the road, he could be an encyclopedia of shipping fish. Maybe he could also deliver fish for you. He has supplied a lot of fish to Pond Boss member's ponds over the years

Ken.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I haven't been on the Pond Boss site for a while.

It looks like my old friends "Rainman" Rex Raines is still in the fish business and active here on the site. If he is still in the business, he could be an invaluable contact.

He is one of several who have shipped fish to me over the year. I always received 100% live fish when I received a box from him.

I have a worm bin in one of the Styrofoam coolers he used to ship fish to me from Missouri to West Virginia, probably at least 10 years ago.

He is probably pretty busy this time of year. But if you can get in touch with him when he isn't on the road, he could be an encyclopedia of shipping fish. Maybe he could also deliver fish for you. He has supplied a lot of fish to Pond Boss member's ponds over the years

Ken.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, catmandoo. I've definitely seen your name on some of the older posts I've viewed in the past, glad to see you making an appearance. Hopefully Rainman will see this and reply. If he's busy, I'd rather not bug him lol, but I'll definitely keep that in mind.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
This is a fairly old post, but, I will reply with some of my experiences....I almost never ship fish anymore...The regs, state and federal are too cumbersome for my older, more feable brain to deal with...lol That said, forget the "breather bags"..They are all but useless if you properly ship. Breather bags need air surrounding them, and to ship properly, you need double layers of plastic bags that can not leak. The best shipping containers are used and designed for shipping "Tropical fish"...Hit up pet shops that are not chain store, like a PetSmart...They will often sell you the shipping containers for a few bucks each...then you need 15" square bottom shipping bags, and double bag. I originally used UPS to ship, but after many crushed boxes of dead fish, and fights for the refunds from UPS, I shipped overnight exclusively with Fedex, and only had 1 "bad" delivery after that...I am fortunate that I live near an international airport, so my cut-off was 9:45pm to ship overnight...and if I was late, a Fedex pilot would often take my packages and still deliver....Overnight is expensive, but reliable...Surprisingly, the least expensive was same-day air freight...I once shipped 400 pounds of fish from St Louis, MO to LA in CA, and the cost was only $175, and in the customer's truck 5 hours after I dropped off the fish....I used industrial oxygen to fill bags "loosly"...the gas expands in flight....It takes practice to do it right on the shipping end, but it takes knowledge and lots of research to ship legally. The Lacey Act of 1900 requires a shipper to adhere to all federal, state, local and international laws pertaining to all plants and animals....including shipping laws

B
B
Good to see you on the forum Rex!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
1 member likes this: Rainman
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex:

I get constant requests to ship fish. I even had a request for two Rainbow Trout to be shipped to an island in Florida in August..... Sorry, ain't going to happen. Like you I found that the work required to do behind the scenes didn't even begin to cover the expenses in packaging and shipping the fish, so I stopped shipping fish. Just not worth the hassle.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday