Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
hermit Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I am brand new to pond ownership after recently acquiring approx 1/4 acre pond in Midwest Michigan that was not well maintained. The pond was originally nicely landscaped with 1-2" washed stone all the way around. Currently there are weeds all around that I can't figure out how to mechanically remove without digging up all the rocks too. I would like to spray the vegetation but don't want to harm the frogs that are using this area for cover. I understand roundup is out, and that it's probably the surfactant that is the issues with amphibians. I have seen mention of Rodeo but that doesn't seem to be a product I can find locally. What other specific products would be a good option for me? Airmax shoreline defense is one that looks like it might be an option. CattPlex at Menards possibly? To be clear this is for the weeds that are not in water.

-Jon

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Also look for ShoreKlear-Plus. It is basically Rodeo with water approved surfactant. If you want protection for the frogs you can not spray some of the shoreline leaving some weeds as frog cover. The will find the remaining cover.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
hermit,

Texas A&M does lots of good research on ponds and fisheries. Here is a link to a study they re-published that indicated that it was almost certainly the surfactant (in basic Roundup) that was toxic to the amphibians:

http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/201...-in-Aquatic-and-Upland-Natural-Areas.pdf

From the article:

"Most glyphosate-containing products that are registered for aquatic use are manufactured without surfactant (Touchdown Pro, the exception, contains a different surfactant) so that the applicator can use one of the many commercial surfactant products available that have low toxicity to aquatic organisms and instructions for aquatic applications. While the contents of commercial surfactants is proprietary information, they are regulated and only contain ingredients that are approved by EPA or the Food and Drug Adminstration."

There are other glyphosate products (besides Touchdown Pro) developed since that study was published that are designed for spraying aquatic plants. I would assume they would be safe to spray on your terrestrial shoreline vegetation. (I would rather have a "safe" surfactant, rather than no surfactant - so that you kill your waxy-coated weeds with less herbicide.)

One example is Glyphosate 5.4 (by Alligare). It does contain a surfactant, but I assume it is safe because it is approved for aquatic use. (I have used and liked some of their other herbicide products.)

One other reason glyphosate is such a widely used systemic herbicide is that it really tries to bond with soil particles once it hits the ground. Usually, if you don't have any spray drift, then it only kills the plant you treated and none of the surrounding plants are harmed.

For that reason, I would spray part of your shore plants each time the wind was favorable for that section. For example, when you have a gentle, but steady, wind from the north, then I would step into the lake with my muck boots and spray the weeds on the south shore - so all of my drift lands on soil and none in the water.

Good luck on your project! We like happy frogs and tadpoles!

H
hermit Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Shoreklear plus is readily available to me from multiple sources so I'll give that a try. Froggies can always use the lawn, as long as they remember to move when I mow.

-Jon

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??