Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, esshup, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 811 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
When I had my pond dug 10+ years ago I had the North shoreline slope down slowly, until 6' depth, then it drops off at 45 degrees.
I am now living on the property and I am working on my pond.... finally!
Any advice on how to go about making a sand beach.
That is what I told my wife I was going to do and she is holding me to my word!!!
I will haul in white river sand, but what do I need to do to prep it first?
And maintain it?
I have a bottle of Shoreline Defence, but is there something more affordable and powerful I can spray away from the water's edge that wont kill my pond?
I need to remove the moss that showed up this year too.
Should I first just try to rake it out or something?
The moss or algae has caused a HUGE increase in young Bass. That is the subject of my next post....
[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Attached Images
Pond Beach Project.jpg
Last edited by Johnny MAX; 06/22/21 01:55 PM.

I work so I can buy things, give things & do things...
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
For the beach, this is what has worked at the pond at my parent's place. The sand beach there has been in place since 1988 with little or no maintenance other than what I mention below. The portion on land is basically flat and 4+ inches deep with sand. This slows/stops runoff and any sediment that does run off into the water is sand so it doesn't cover your submerged sand with dirt/silt. The portion in the water is a similar slope to what you have which stops it from washing down. About 1 time each year dad sprays with glyphosate and runs the garden tiller on the land portion to remove weeds and loosen the sand.

1 member likes this: Johnny MAX
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If the soil is clay, then you might have to put down a geotextile fabric first to minimize the sand mixing with the clay.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Originally Posted by esshup
If the soil is clay, then you might have to put down a geotextile fabric first to minimize the sand mixing with the clay.

I was wondering about that. It is almost solid clay. I have about 300' x 12.5' of geotextile fabric.
Should I spread out 60/40, or something to make it smooth first then staple the fabric down over it, then sand, or can I just put down over the existing ground?

Last edited by Johnny MAX; 06/23/21 09:51 AM.

M
M
I'd rake the submerged weed growth to shore as much as possible, then get a bobcat and push the top layer of clay/plants off to another location to compost out. Lay down the geotex and cover with sand. Plan on adding more sand in the future. On the edges of the sand beach I'd border it off with some rock over the geotex too. That way you can contain spreading/creeping plants. You'll get some fish beds in that sand at some point

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP
R
R
Just a quick thought... What if you used sand bags instead of rocks. They wouldnt hurt near as much if ya hit them with your foot. Not sure how long they would last tho. My kids complain bout the rocks I have place in ours is wht makes me think of tht.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
OP Offline
Originally Posted by RStringer
Just a quick thought... What if you used sand bags instead of rocks. They wouldnt hurt near as much if ya hit them with your foot. Not sure how long they would last tho. My kids complain bout the rocks I have place in ours is wht makes me think of tht.

I am leaning toward timbers..... if the price ever goes down!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Matzilla
I'd rake the submerged weed growth to shore as much as possible, then get a bobcat and push the top layer of clay/plants off to another location to compost out. Lay down the geotex and cover with sand. Plan on adding more sand in the future. On the edges of the sand beach I'd border it off with some rock over the geotex too. That way you can contain spreading/creeping plants. You'll get some fish beds in that sand at some point

If I can do it with the bucket of my tractor maybe. Still on a tight budget.

R
R
I was referring to the underwater part. To hold the sand in place. Like a retainer wall of sort.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
What Matzilla said ^.
I did something similar ten years ago. Geotextile mesh laid down first - I didn't need to staple it. Then several inches of sand. For me, having rocks along the border was a mistake. I have weeds growing in the rocks that I can't rake out, even though they're sitting on mesh. I plan to remove those rocks and replace them with sand so that entire shoreline is sand. Although the slope on mine is similar to yours, I was concerned about the submerged sand washing beyond the mesh and out to sea. I had the excavator put a line of 2x4x4 concrete blocks down as a stop for the sand to push up against. So far so good there, but it can be a toe-stubber for unwary swimmers if the water level is way down. Maybe removing a bunch of weeds first would be a good idea to avoid some of the decomposing material?

CZ
OP Offline
I understand now. Great idea, the sand bags. What about those sand logs they put along curb inlets on construction sites. They are long and not too high, 6" I think.

1 member likes this: RStringer
M
M
you could use quickrete instead of rock https://www.core77.com/posts/80454/...the-Bag-Stack-Like-Legos-Wet-With-a-Hose should work to help contain that sand as it meets the grass/weedline
If you don't want weeds to come through use a woven fabric goetex - similar to those used for heavy equipment to drive into construction sites. I help out on a 3 acre pond that was built 30ish years ago having 2/3 of the shoreline covered with 2 layers of woven geotex fabric, covered with gravel and <6 rock over that. never has weeds but the lawn is very well cared for

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy