Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#536307 06/09/21 09:49 AM
H
HTNFSH2 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hoping for some luck here. I am looking for a reputable excavation contractor in central Ohio. The places I've called either don't do the work anymore or are so busy in their immediate area, travel is out of the question.

My property is an hour southeast of Columbus.

Lunker
Lunker
Sorry I can't help you much with this. The excavator who did our two ponds (and much other work for us) is no longer able to work due to Alzheimers. Of the two other excavators we have used since then, one is now disabled with a broken back (and if he wasn't, I wouldn't endorse him) and the other has only small equipment (mini-hoe, skidloader) which was sufficient for the work we had him due (culverts) but wouldn't do for a pond.

One possibility are (is???) The Ventura Brothers, who are out of Newark in Licking County. I do not have any idea if they do ponds, nor do I have experience with them, but they are the outfit that bought the heavy equipment from our favorite old excavator - so they should have the machinery. I do know that they have been in business for at least 20 years (maybe longer).

Good luck with your search. If you find someone who proves good, please let us know. There are at least two other Central Ohio members who have been looking for pond excavators. And you never know when I might decide I need another pond or two. shocked

P.S. If possible, get references of prior ponds any prospects have done and check with the owners to see how the job went. If someone has done multiple ponds but they all leak due to improper dams, you don't want them. Fixing a dam that wasn't cored right may be possible, but will cost more than doing it right to start with.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
G
Contact Amy Gerten, ohiolica@gmail.com, she is the executive director of the Ohio chapter of LICA a National Association of Land Improvement Contractors. or- LICA for short, she should be able to put you in touch with or give you a list of contractors in your area that specialize in terraces tiling and dams, and other land improvement practices.
I am currently the VP of the Missouri chapter. we strive to do quality work, will not always be the cheapest contractor but the cheapest is actually seldom the best bang for your buck.
or you can go on their website and check for contractors in your area, www.olica.org Good Luck!

Last edited by gehajake; 06/09/21 03:49 PM.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by gehajake
Contact Amy Gerten, ohiolica@gmail.com, she is the executive director of the Ohio chapter of LICA a National Association of Land Improvement Contractors. or- LICA for short, she should be able to put you in touch with or give you a list of contractors in your area that specialize in terraces tiling and dams, and other land improvement practices.
I am currently the VP of the Missouri chapter. we strive to do quality work, will not always be the cheapest contractor but the cheapest is actually seldom the best bang for your buck.
or you can go on their website and check for contractors in your area, www.olica.org Good Luck!

Do you have the same info for Indiana? While I can rent equipment and do the work, I get calls all the time for good people in "my" area, which could be at the complete opposite end of the state. More resources and information is always better!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
HTNFSH2 Offline OP
OP Offline
H

Thank you, I sent her an email.

G
G
Do you have the same info for Indiana? While I can rent equipment and do the work, I get calls all the time for good people in "my" area, which could be at the complete opposite end of the state. More resources and information is always better![/quote]

Yes sir, go to indianalica.org to look for contractors or the executive director is Nanci Gutwein at indianalica @gmail.com. I
I hope it is ok with forum policy to give out this contact info, if not acceptable please advise me, I am not trying to take work or business away from anybody, just trying to give fellow forum members a lead in finding refutable people to bid on their project.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Do you have the same info for Indiana? While I can rent equipment and do the work, I get calls all the time for good people in "my" area, which could be at the complete opposite end of the state. More resources and information is always better!

Yes sir, go to indianalica.org to look for contractors or the executive director is Nanci Gutwein at indianalica @gmail.com. I
I hope it is ok with forum policy to give out this contact info, if not acceptable please advise me, I am not trying to take work or business away from anybody, just trying to give fellow forum members a lead in finding refutable people to bid on their project.[/quote]

Thank you, I think this is OK. It's not a particular contractor nor your contracting business.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: gehajake
G
G
esshup, thanks,, its nothing really to me, I dont get anything out of it, but it may be helpful to these guys, and nothing makes me madder then hearing stories about somebody getting ripped off by a shady contractor, gives the rest of us a bad name. at least these guys have an assoc to answer to if they tried to do shady work and the consumer has somebody to complain to, the Assoc holds us to reasonably high standards.

K
K
Hi, Did you ever find a good excavator in Ohio? I'm looking for one that does work near Akron. Anybody you recommend? Thanks, kurtkroger@yahoo.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??