Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
After reading the post started by Ed and seeing the two floating docks built by Ed and Jimmy I made my way to the hardware store and bought the hardware. My brother was able to supply 9 55gal plastic barrels for the project. I used 12' 2' x 10's for the outer frame with 2 8" long L shaped stainless braces on the outside corners and 5/16' galvanized carriage bolts to hold them in place. I ran 2x6 stringers the length of the dock 22 1/2 inches apart to match the barrell width. I used 9 barrells in three rows. I still have two "rows" that I can add more barrells if needed but so far the 2x10's ride about 12" out of the water. The top is 6" wide 5/4ths decking. All wood is pressure treated. I spent a total of $500 and change and the only way I could be happier is if I already had a 10' walkway connecting the dock to the bank.
The whole thing took two days because as a carpenter I would make an excellent digger of ditches! "I cut this board three times and it is still too darn short" and "Square? it needs to be SQUARE"? describes my carpentry skills!

Thanks to Ed and Jimmy for the inspiration.

Randy

PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Randy, thanks for posting your "plan." How stable is this? If you get two or three people on one edge ("Hey, look what I caught") does it feel as if it will tip over? I'm probably going to do the same thing. 9 barrels = 3600 lbs+ capactiy, seems pretty sturdy.

Shawn

R
OP Offline
R
SV,
If 3 adults are on one side it does tilt down a bit but it doesn't seem to come anywhere near close to wanting to dump you in the water. If you have 3 or more adults on opposite ends you will notice a slight bowing in the center (a result of the center row of barrells?) but as I said it is very slight. It seems pretty stable to me. I also screwed in a 2x6 on each end between the stringers to keep the barrells from rubbing on the carriage bolt ends so the barrells are about 8 inches or so in from the 2x10's. As a result if one adult stands on the very corner it will dip enough to get the wood wet. I can't think of any other way to keep the plastic barrells from getting abraded on the bolts. I hope this helps. If you think it would be of any use I could get a close up picture of the screw pattern on the decking to show the position of my stringers.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I would love it. If you like, just e-mail me. Thanks.

Shawn

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I am glad it worked out for you, Randy. I don't like the blue color of my barrels in the pictures, but when I am out there I barely notice it. My dock behaves pretty much the same as yours, except I don't have a middle row. Please post a picture.

J
J
Randy, I'm glad to have helped, and or inspired someone else on this site ( instead of just asking for help and info). Merco Marine makes all kinds of hardware if you want to make another section and attach it, or to attach the walkway.
It's amazing how much that dock enhanced the pond both for fishing or just sitting back and cracking a cold one.

PB subscriber,PB gift subscriber,Book owner
R
OP Offline
R
I am waiting for my sister to email some pics of the dock to me. She took them Saturday with her Digital Camera and said she would email them this evening. I spent my "digital camera" money on my dock!! Will post as soon as I get them.

Ed, I have 8 white and 1 blue barrel and don't give it a second thought. I just wanted it to float!!

Jimmy, I am for sure going to add a walkway and am already thinking of making it bigger! But I am finding out that I think of things I would like to do with my pond almost every day. Most of the things on my wish list move along just fine until I get to the "how much will this cost" phase!! That is usually when my parade gets rained on!!

J
J
Randy, I HEAR YA! I look at the ponds and the property around it as a lifetime project, and each year I try to set an obtainable goal to improve the place. Hopefully in 10 or 15 years I'll have my own personal park. \:D

PB subscriber,PB gift subscriber,Book owner
L
L
I have a floating dock also, but it's on pontoons. I found it a friends grandmothers pond and the deck was al rotted out and it was stuck in some falen trees. She gave it to me and we put it over the bed of my S-10, drove it home, tore off the old deck and added 5/4 quarter decking to it. It's 10 x 12 and works great, I have even mounted a trolling motor to it before to cruise around. This is the best picture I have of it.
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bandtri...b75.jpg&.src=ph

R
OP Offline
R
I finally got some digital pics to share of my dock. I hope I get this right. It would be emabarrassing for a computer guy to not be able to post pics on a website! SVRoberts, I haven't been able to get a good pic that shows the pattern we discussed earlier but am still trying.

Dock1
Dock2 Dock3

R
OP Offline
R
I hope to be able to take some more pics tomorrow that are not blurred.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images