Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101
18,496 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,935
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
11 members (Don Kennedy, Augie, Boondoggle, FishinRod, Sunil, Shorthose, ghdmd, phinfan, Theeck, Justin W, Drago), 809 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The pond water is crystal clear. I added sonar two weeks ago and now seeing a lot of FA. It is what I was expecting after talking to Kelly D. I will be adding Tp June 1st to help solve the FA problem along with providing forage fish production. So here is the question, would you fertilize the pond? It might increase the FA but I need some plankton to feed the spring fish hatches and fry. I need some bg fry survival to feed the lmb. Dye would darken the water but would not help with fish fry production. I was also thinking the treating and killing off the BPW would produce some plankton but I am not seeing that. Guessing the sonar killed off the plankton that was already in the pond water. Thoughts or suggestions from some others would be nice smile

Last edited by TGW1; 04/18/21 07:05 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
J
J
Tracy,

The nutrients may be bound primarily in the FA and in the pond bottom. Stimulating a bloom by adding nutrient will probably sequester more nutrients (subsequent to bloom) which will favor plants that form roots and tubers. On the other hand, a bloom would shade the FA provided the nutrients are used by phytoplankton (as opposed to the FA ... something which might actually happen).

This idea probably sucks ... so everyone is invited to tear it up ... but I wonder if you could do something that works kind of like dye but might bring nutrients sequestered in your pond bottom into the water column. So the idea works like this. Start your aeration to get the water moving in your pond and to mix all levels (if you haven't already done so). Then make something to stir up the sediments. This will probably also dislodge some FA but the idea is to give sediments a very large surface area to exchange nutrients the with water column while shading the FA. If maintained for a sufficient period of time, the FA will die and surface at which time you can stop the treatment allowing the pond to clear. I think this has the potential of creating a very strong subsequent bloom without adding additional nutrients. If it is something that you may be interesting in doing I could make suggestions on nozzle design that could disturb the pond bottom without shooting deep holes into it.

Last edited by jpsdad; 04/18/21 08:01 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I would fertilize in your situation if the water temp is good. Would stick to water soluble fertilizer and only use small amount spread around deep water. Keep in mind that plankton numbers can be ok even though you cant see any green.

C
C
I have a pond that was built in 73 and had no maintenance for thirty years I have about six feet of muck on the bottom. I have been dredging it out with a trash pump. It stirs up some of the muck and causes a nice bloom. I have taken to pumping water down into it to soften the muck up so I can suck it out easier. It does seem to keep the bloom going. It clears up after about a week

A
A
Originally Posted by TGW1
The pond water is crystal clear. I added sonar two weeks ago and now seeing a lot of FA. It is what I was expecting after talking to Kelly D. I will be adding Tp June 1st to help solve the FA problem along with providing forage fish production. So here is the question, would you fertilize the pond? It might increase the FA but I need some plankton to feed the spring fish hatches and fry. I need some bg fry survival to feed the lmb. Dye would darken the water but would not help with fish fry production. I was also thinking the treating and killing off the BPW would produce some plankton but I am not seeing that. Guessing the sonar killed off the plankton that was already in the pond water. Thoughts or suggestions from some others would be nice smile

Tracy, I had my BPW treated last summer with herbacide that only lasted a few days (I irrigate lawn with pond water so this was important). Wiped out just about all pond weeds, including stuff I like, but did a number on BPW. Still hasn't recovered, though surely I'll see it again.

Anyway, after the great weed die off, my pond got deep green. Not neon, thank God, but the darkest viz I've ever had. Tremendous plankton bloom, persisted for a couple months.

Don't know why this didn't happen for you. Different herbacide? Different water chemistry? Puzzling.

Last edited by anthropic; 04/19/21 12:41 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tracy:

What is your alkalinity? You need to know that to know if fertilizing will help. BUT I would first kill the FA, then see how the phytoplankton grows from 3-7 days post application of the algaecide. If the alkalinity is 50+, and you don't have a phytoplankton bloom yet, then I would add some 10-52-4 fertilizer, not more than 1/2 pound per acre foot to start.

If your alkalinity is over 50, I am afraid that just adding fertilizer will make the FA explode. Then you will have to kill it anyway before adding the Tilapia or they won't do squat.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks, guys for the suggestions. The aeration has been running for nearly a month now using 12 hr runs. Esshup alk is above a hundred. FA pretty much covers all the BPW and surrounds the shoreline as well so it is everywhere. And Frank, I was expecting a bloom caused by killing off the BPW but maybe because the treatment has only been in the pond for 3 weeks and I was told to look for 6 weeks to kill off the BPW. I was just thinking I need some green water to feed my cnbg spawn (fry). I need the cnbg to feed the lmb. I was all in to ewest suggestion but now esshup had some input that concerns me alittle. I am adding 25 lbs per acre of Tp knowing that they won't keep up with it but better than nothing, I guess? esshup I would have to treat the whole pond to kill off the Fa, there is alot of it already.

Last edited by TGW1; 04/20/21 07:37 PM.

Tracy
A
A
My alkalinity has never exceeded 50, no matter if I recently limed . Quite a difference!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So, when using an algaecide, how would you use it? For the Sonar I just added it behind the trolling motor prop while riding around the pond. Is the algaecide treatment similar? How is the best way to treat the pond? Any ideas on how much to use in a 3-acre pond with a 6-foot average depth? Just wondering how much to buy, quart, gallon or several gallons? Tractor supply product?

Tracy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tracy:

You have to dilute it to spread it out. Basically mix 1 gallon with 10 gallons of water. for 18 ac/ft of water, depending on how much algae there is you will need to use 0.6 to 2.4 gallons of Cutrine Plus per acre foot of water. So that is 6 to 24 gallons of tank mix per acre foot of water.

Click on the label and read the directions: https://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.html

I'd spread it out like you did with the hydrated lime.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks esshup. Gives me an idea on how much product to purchise and to go about spreading it around the pond.

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tracy, I just bought chemicals to treat mine. My water on both ponds is green. Not floating crap green but green itself. Scott analyzed and told me what to buy. Grandson and I will treat next weekend. No way I can run trolling motor and spray rig by myself.

On one acre pond, almost no fish come to feed. But on small pond of now less than 1/4 acre, I have a lot of fish coming to feed. I can wade in and spray.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM