Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Alright...seems like we have some volunteers...Augie holds the wire and Jake turns the crank. I'll be watching from the dock (with rubber boots on). lol We need a cameraman.

Thanks for joining the conversation TJ. Very good info to take into account. I truly appreciate the tips! I am currently trying to get a hold of Harrison Fishery to see what is available. Emailed 2 weeks ago and called today...no reply and voice mailbox is full. I have used them twice before and it is convenient as they travel by my place pretty regular and will meet me in town to off-load fish into barrels. But, their communications, for a small fish like me, are a bit slow.

I will be looking at getting 100 more Res, 100-200 more HBG, and some larger CC (a few as suggested). All the while targeting the HSB.

I unwisely tossed in a LMB a couple years ago, but don't know what sex it was (along with a black crappie). Haven't seen them since. I'm not to fond of the single sex LMB idea anyhow...I'm just not up to the time it would take to source them. Maybe if the lone LMB offers itself to the table...I'll reconsider.

Fish on!,
Noel
OP Offline
Originally Posted by anthropic
Remind me never to become his buddy.

AND, we have a cameraman!

Fish on!,
Noel
A
A
Scott, my fishing buddy caught a 23 inch HSB at my place a few days ago, but it wasn't quite as fat as yours. Maybe six pounds. Had another one on that he couldn't stop. Great fighters!

I've never eaten a HSB, been reluctant to keep them since they don't reproduce and may be useful in controlling smaller LMB numbers. How do you cook them?

What are reasonable numbers of adult HSB per acre? I've stocked 95 the last three years in my 8 acre BOW, I'm sure not all have survived, but would bet the majority have. I feed but threadfin shad stocking did not take.

Last edited by anthropic; 03/23/21 03:56 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
Originally Posted by esshup
...Maybe you just haven't found out what they like yet?

No, I have NOT. Next on the list is a live crawdad. Surely I have tried this seeing how I have so many, but I don't recall. I will try again.

That HSB looks too good to be true...nice-n-fat!

Augie - do YOU have a hand crank Ma Bell Stashed away somewhere...lol!

If they are eating pellets, here's how to catch them. I've done it plenty of times, and people that come to fish in the pond say that they can't catch them. So I rig up this way, stand right next to them and catch one asap. They look at me dumbfounded. I tell them how catch the fish, even give them a packet of Stubby Steve's. They don't follow the recipe is why they aren't catching them.

Follow the recipe.........

2,4 or 6 pound test line, depending on how much cover they can get tangled up in. Fluorocarbon line works better than mono. #10 or #8 Owner Mosquito Hook. https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/mosquito-hook-black-chrome/

Tie it on with a good strong knot, I use the improved clinch knot a lot, or a Uni knot. Set the drag. Go actually weigh something that is 1/4 to 1/3 the breaking strength of the line. Pick it up with the hook and the full length of the rod, letting the rod bend and having the line run through the guides. Make sure that there is nothing overhead, if the line breaks or the knot gives away you don't want the rod slamming into anything overhead. Set the drag so you can barely lift the weight off of the ground with the drag slowly slipping. Not keep your cotton picking fingers off of the drag - DO NOT adjust it when you are fighting the fish. Just hold the rod tip up high. Reel down, stop reeling and lift the fish with the rod. Don't reel when the fish is taking drag, it will only twist the line.

Use a spinning rod that is rated for the appropriate line weight. Use a good spinning reel where the drag works smoothly.

Order some Stubby Steve's Original Pellets. Get the "Brown Fish Food Pellet" http://stubbysteves.mybigcommerce.com/pellets/

Put the hook through the center of one, slide it up so it covers the eye of the hook and the knot. Put the hook through the corner of another one so the gap of the hook is clear and open. Toss it out where you normally throw out the food (you could chum with half a handful of food). Let it do it's thing for 30 seconds, and if nothing grabs it, reel it in and toss it near where the fish are hitting the surface. Watch the line where it is floating on top of the water or right where it enters the water. If it twitches, set the hook, the pellets don't swim by their own.....

Good luck!!.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
A
Great advice! Make absolutely sure you have a good, smooth drag, because you're gonna need it.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

OP Offline
I can't wait for this weekend and an upcoming vacation to try all the new techniques for catching these HSB. Thanks everyone!

I have to admit that I typically keep 8# test on my rods and the pond is so muddy I don't see how the fish could see it, or even a length of paracord...lol. I do practice a very light drag as I have hooked into a couple of the HSB that just hit, run, & break (when I have forgotten to check the drag setting).

Harrison Fishery called me back yesterday and after a nice 20 minute conversation...he (Kurt, the owner) suggested this plan...

150 pure BG, 5-7" long (for getting the forage base back up),
50 RES, 4-6" long from his brood stock (at my request),
3 pounds of GSH (He wants to "make me a believer") , &
15 CC,14-16" long (for craw patrol).

The total for these fish delivered to a nearby town would be $280.oo. I would have to transport the fish maybe 10 miles in my barrels with my pond's water. This is a bit spooky as I like the practice of acclimating the fish and this option eliminates that option due to their much larger order needing all the water they can carry.

He could have supplied the larger CC, but the available BG and RES were small enough to be forage for 3-5 pound CC and he suggested the smaller ones with the idea that they would grow quickly with the supplemental feed and available crawdads.

I'm not sure about the Golden Shiners because my pond has no appreciable summered plant growth for depositing eggs. I do have a lot of pallets that were originally for the FHM whos numbers have declined to the rare spotting. For the extra $36, why not give them a try? Should I put in some dead cedar trees? Will that suffice in a pinch?

Fish on!,
Noel
A
A
I'll set up my 275 gallon tote and haul those fish for you, but Jake has to hold the wire while I turn the crank.

1 member likes this: gehajake
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Golden Shiners will spawn on submerged grass - think of lawn grass.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Hold my beer and watch this

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
Harrison Fishery called me back yesterday and after a nice 20 minute conversation...he (Kurt, the owner) suggested this plan...

150 pure BG, 5-7" long (for getting the forage base back up),
50 RES, 4-6" long from his brood stock (at my request),
3 pounds of GSH (He wants to "make me a believer") , &
15 CC,14-16" long (for craw patrol).

The total for these fish delivered to a nearby town would be $280.oo. I would have to transport the fish maybe 10 miles in my barrels with my pond's water. This is a bit spooky as I like the practice of acclimating the fish and this option eliminates that option due to their much larger order needing all the water they can carry.

He could have supplied the larger CC, but the available BG and RES were small enough to be forage for 3-5 pound CC and he suggested the smaller ones with the idea that they would grow quickly with the supplemental feed and available crawdads.

This is taking you down a significantly different path than your original plan of large panfish/HSB fishery. In particular, the addition of the BG might be reconsidered. Also, I don't have first hand experience, but have read that GSH can counter efforts to raise large BG due to competition. I just want to give you some things to think about before the bullet has been bit. You have options and I think the supplier was primarily focused on helping the HSB in your pond. If the panfish are important to you ... you might give this deeper consideration.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

OP Offline
Esshup, I do have most of the perimeter of the pond with strong stands of overhanging long grasses...this will give them hope. Even when the pond is 10" below full pool, the grasses hang out into the pond by a foot or so into foot deep water. My banks are pretty steep right at the waterline.

I did see a couple adult FHM's in the craws trap this week. They are still their in small numbers. It's been since spring of 2017 since they were put in. It's a shame that tad poles don't taste good to the fish, at least for a main diet. I am trapping more poles than crawdads right now.

JP, you are definitely right about the change in direction. I am going with the flow, in a way. I do love the HSB even though they have been hard to catch. My few HBG tend to have a fair amount of yellow and black grubs and have stopped growing. They seemed to have topped out at just over a half pound from the last two summer's record. So, the flow is talking me to sustaining the HSB, increasing the kid catch rates, and adding some CC for easier catches and table fair. If large panfish were a strong goal...I'd start over as previously suggested by Snipe. I may even take Augie up on some hodge-podge bait fish if he has more than he needs.

Fish on!,
Noel
J
J
Cool, I understand and respect the change of goals.

Last edited by jpsdad; 03/25/21 07:57 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

A
A
I've trapped ~50 <3' BG so far this week. They are in a cage awaiting transfer to the bait pond.

I'm not in any hurry to move them, so they can stay there until you decide if you want them.

And there are plenty of bigger ones already in the bait pond. Just say the word...

OP Offline
I have just stocked 15 CC ranging from 1 to 1.3 pounds (~14- 18"), 50 RES (3-4"), and 150 straight BG (4-6") hoping to bump the forages for the HSB and reduce the craws, BUT I have only seen one sizable swirl the could have been a HSB so far this year. I feed every evening and lack of attendance is curious. I get some of last years HBG YOY showing up and few larger HBG, but no sign of the HSB or the fish stocked 5 days ago.

Maybe the water is still too cool? I'll take some temps today or tomorrow to see how the aeration setup is working. I just started it up 6 days ago.

There are too many variables and I don't have a crystal ball to see what's really in the pond! I find it frustrating and exciting at the same time. I have had to accept that I just don't have much control and it will always be interesting to see how it evolves.

Fish on!,
Noel
A
A
I haven't checked the water temp in my pond lately, but feeding time is a frenzy, and has been since early March, so I wouldn't think cool water would be causing the lack of enthusiasm.

J
J
They'll come around QA. Have you tried fishing for the HSB lately?

G
G
Q A, I think you will enjoy the new direction you are taking, I know they are not HSB but you havent been enjoying them a huge amount the last couple years, being hard to catch and all, the CC will grow like crazy with all the crawdads you have, seems like everyone i catch has craws in their stomach, and they are up over two lbs a lot of them, I thought it was just the ones that hung out by the feeder but I have caught some way across the lake, a long ways from the feeder that were over 2 1/2 lbs. I been pulling them all out and eating everything I catch, I am not a huge fan of them in a pond and almost wishing I hadnt put as many in but they are some fine eating if you trim the red meat.
I wish I had noticed this thread a little earlier, I would have been glad to supply you with your 1 to 2 lb CC, and we could have had fun catching them, I have been only catching what I can eat fresh because I have been told by several on this forum that they get hook shy if you catch and release them much, I have a friend that has hook shy CC from doing that.
And the panfish are a ball for the kids to catch, they are getting pretty good sized in the pond, fat and full bellies, they may be getting ready to spawn before long if the water gets a little warmer.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
OP Offline
We had almost 3 inches of rain two days ago and the pond got flushed rather well. The aeration is up to 24/7, but the diffusers are all 2-4 feet deep. I have moved them to open the pond up for fishing for the HBS. I should be getting 2-3 turnovers a day so long as the pond does not develop a thermocline. I doubt that it will as the pond is shaped such as if it were made to be circulated...steep banks and rather symmetrical.

All water chemistry parameters are in very good condition. DO is around 6-7ppm in the top 4 feet and the water temp is 51/52°F top to bottom. I am curious if it is from the rain flush or aeration, so I will check temps again after a few days without in/outflow.

I fished yesterday for 1-1/2 hours with two poles, a crawdad under a bobber and a garden worm, likewise...not a single bite...nothing. Probably from the shock of the large rain event. I hope to try again today. I really do not expect much catching until the fish start feeding. It's been crickets the last few days at feeding time. Visibility is currently 10" whereas it was closer to 16 before the rains and the craw trap has been only catching a few a day. The pond is still asleep I guess.

Jake, thanks for the thought! If all goes well this year, I may take you up on some CC next year. I will enjoy them, I'm sure. I can't wait to see the new (and old) fish coming to the feed!

Last edited by Quarter Acre; 04/12/21 09:38 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday