Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,055
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (rjackson, jpsdad, Donatello, Freg, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 636 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
gklop Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I noticed that my pond has frozen over. It typically never does as I have my aerator still running at night. I found out that I need to replace the vanes in my pump. The issue is it will take over a week to get the replacements. My question is, once I have the pump fixed should I go head and start the pump and hopefully create a hole? One issue is that I neglected to move the diffuser to shallow water last fall. I have left it in deep water over winter before with no issues. It would typically keep an open spot in the ice.
Thanks

M
M
I wonder if the ice is thick enough to walk on and if it is maybe drill a couple holes above it with an ice auger. The hole just might open back up. Of course drill the hole BEFORE you turn the pump on.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Generally, the point of a hole in the ice is to have enough open water (stirred by the aeration) to transfer sufficient oxygen into the pond to keep your fish alive.

gklop, if your ice is as snow covered as mine is, I'd turn the aeration back on once the pump was fixed. If you haven't hurt your fish with the diffuser in deep water during past years, it should be okay now as well.

On a side note, you might not have to run the diffuser 100% of the time to ensure sufficient dissolved oxygen (if that is your main goal for winter aeration), but if it works for you, it works for you.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
J
Ice won't last a more than a day over a running diffuser.

I am leery of aggressive aeration during the winter when temperatures are cold enough for ice cover. The stratification that naturally occurs under the ice provides a warmer refuge near bottom where the fish are a couple degrees or more above freezing with cooler water being up top in contact with ice. The couple of degrees difference may help the fish contend better with health issues that become more problematic as temperatures approach the minimum the fish can tolerate. When you aerate aggressively you can have a temperature profile where essentially freezing temperatures are realized all the way to the bottom of the pond making so fish are exposed to temperatures colder than they can normally avoid. The super cooling can be particularly problematic with an open (ice-free) pond exposed to sustained very cold wind. You can often expect to see a major increase in fungus growth on fish as secondary infections a couple of weeks later when they are exposed to temperatures that are too cold for too long.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
As noted above it is a trade-off between temps (super cooling) and enough O2. If you are going to repair and place back in service move the diffuser shallow.

G
gklop Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all the input. Since we are going to have frigid temps for the next couple of weeks I think I have a plan. I have an old diffuser that I think is still useable. It is not a disk type and I don't know if it has a check valve. Hopefully I can break a hole in the ice in a couple feet of water and drop this one in for a temporary fix. Hopefully it will create some open water.

Thanks again

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
In one of my ponds I have a simple airstone in shallow water for Winter aeration use. It blows great big bubbles, rather than tiny Don Ho sized ones, but melts a hole in the ice no problem.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
In one of my ponds I have a simple airstone in shallow water for Winter aeration use. It blows great big bubbles, rather than tiny Don Ho sized ones, but melts a hole in the ice no problem.

Big bubbles are better in the winter for keeping a hole open than small bubbles.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy