Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#527676 11/17/20 02:39 AM
S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Really can't find a good place to put this so it's going here!
Aquaculture permit obtained, I'm going into the fish business and opinions/ideas are welcomed on several aspects of this.
I've brokered fish for several years helping folks out. I've spent 31 years now working closely (learning) with/from folks at the State level and find myself planning more and more pond projects for other people, which has led into "what fish do I want".
I've found in the areas I frequent there is a demand for certain species that are either too far away to be practical or Fish farmers aren't handling but few numbers of certain species.
I have had this idea since building my first pond but needed to get away from the 1957 standard textbook thought process to see it. I may be loosing my mind but I feel like there is a hole that needs filled with Pumpkinseeds and SMB.
I've read in so many places where SMB reproduction is very limited and unstable, but I also know WAE are unstable, nearly impossible-at times. It seems forage fish always bring out conversations of differing thoughts. There appears to be an interest in some of the shiner and minnow species, that for reasons I believe I have not discovered yet, are not common. I want to leave that window open as I'm still finding more and more supporting data on one of the species I've been playing with already.
YP have me really confused, but interested in pursuing them to a larger degree.
Back to step one, I'm planning the addition of 2, 1/4ac ponds slightly uphill adjacent to my main pond location. I'm trying to engineer a wetland area between these 2 new ponds and my main pond. My thought process is that I can utilize nutrients from rearing ponds and provide a cleaned up, non-waist water use for my main pond (insert suggestions here).
Engineering firm retained for help and showing up Thursday to discuss and tell me my ideas won't work.
So many things to consider.
One thing that is important to me is do 1-2 fish, not 20, and do those 1-2 very well. Small scale, High quality.
Who knows, if this works it would be am honor to become a member of the resource guide right here.
Comments very welcomed and thanks for listening!

2 members like this: FishinRod, CityDad
Snipe #527677 11/17/20 03:10 AM
A
A
Hybrid stripers, smallmouth bass, pumpkinseed all of interest. I like tiger musky, too, but they are hard to get hold of. Grass shrimp seem to have a ready market as well.

Best of luck!

Last edited by anthropic; 11/17/20 03:12 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Snipe #527678 11/17/20 03:35 AM
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Blue catfish and lake chubsuckers are also often hard to source.

Snipe #527685 11/17/20 10:18 AM
R
R
I will prolly be of no help to ya. More than happy to be a customer thou. How many acres are we talking about to play with? +1 on the forage fish (grass shrimp).

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
Snipe #527687 11/17/20 10:27 AM
S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
RS, I have 25 acres of open flat that drains into a dry tributary that hasn't had any flow in over 100 yrs I'm told. It's been dry for so many years it's all crop and pasture land.

Snipe #527688 11/17/20 10:41 AM
R
R
What about shad? I have looked for them before. Seems like they want you to spend thousands of dollars on forage. My budget does not allow that. If they could be grown and sold in smaller amounts it would be very nice.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
Snipe #527691 11/17/20 11:20 AM
F
F
As you are in Kansas, and i am in Michigan, i can only comment of the need. Pumpkinseed is one i wish I could get, but is too far away to travel to get IF they would sell to an out -sider. it sounds like a great idea to keep one busy, and I hope great success! Hope to read more of you quest, maybe more of us might venture a bit down that road, good luck!

half-acre pond, LMB, HBG, BG, GSH and CC ....goal is to
have fun fishing. And I subscribe!
Snipe #527694 11/17/20 12:57 PM
C
C
I am also in Michigan.

I would highly encourage Lake Chubsuckers. They spawn on vegetation in very clear clean water. They are desirable in many ways. Would love to source some without a long drive.
Spotfin shiners are hardy, pellet trained (out of the box), fun to watch and easy to maintain. They reproduce readily with a little coaxing and proper structure. They ship easily even at larger sizes.
I also would like to source Pumpkinseed. They are native in lakes in MI but local fish farms don't seem to think they should stock or sell them.

S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
I am also in Michigan.

I would highly encourage Lake Chubsuckers. They spawn on vegetation in very clear clean water. They are desirable in many ways. Would love to source some without a long drive.
Spotfin shiners are hardy, pellet trained (out of the box), fun to watch and easy to maintain. They reproduce readily with a little coaxing and proper structure. They ship easily even at larger sizes.
I also would like to source Pumpkinseed. They are native in lakes in MI but local fish farms don't seem to think they should stock or sell them.
I am raising Spotfin now but obtaining stock is like pulling teeth through a knothole with tweezers.. I have not been able to determine yet if I had a good hatch or not-I have confirmed reproduction-but how massive I don't know yet. I know it takes a ton of time building CD structures and tile structures suitable for spotfin.
Bluntnose I have had fantastic reproduction from and even the red shiners have produced. I have found also that it's fairly common for reds to cross with gsh so I don't know how that will work, long-term.

Snipe #527704 11/17/20 09:36 PM
B
B
No matter what fish you decide on I think it is cool that you're doing it. I like the idea of Pumpkinseed, but I also think some sort of Pumpkinseed hybrid would be interesting to. Something that looks a lot like a Pumpkinseed but gets bigger.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Snipe #527705 11/17/20 09:47 PM
C
C
In one of my old threads I posted some pictures of some BEAUTIFUL Pumkinseed/BG hybrids. They were very nice size (larger than typical pumpkinseed). It would be neat to work with PS and try to hybridize them with BG or even RES. RES do not do well in the far north. I need to try to dig up that thread.

I'm curious what other water conditions, (pH, hardness, clarity, calcium content) might relate to spotfin success. Our lakes do not have them here and I'm not sure why. They seem to to love my pond and reproduce like crazy and I have only a few spawning structures. This year I took out my spawning structures and so very few egg remnants on them. Yet I have had at least 2 crops of tiny SFS. I'm thinking they just find their own crevices and go to it. I did change my big square foam insulation turtle floats for a more natural looking large floating section of tree trunk this year. I figure the logs look more natural (my wife likes that look better than bright green grass carpet on a foam square). The logs required a little bit of foam insulation board under them as they water logged and started sitting lower in the water. The turtles seem to like them just fine and all the natural crevices in the wood hopefully are what the SFS used to lay eggs this season.

I am still trying to figure out how to trap them at will to share with others. They don't seem to readily enter into standard minnow traps. They come into the shallows in huge numbers at night but spook away pretty easily with any light source. Since they have no fear when pellets are available I'm wondering if I could create some type of enclosure that could be remote control from a distance closed and I could use repeated feeding of pellets to come into the enclosure opening while feeding and then close the exit (or rapidly lift the enclosure up out of the water with some long handled device?

Not sure what you mean by 'tile structure'
Are you doing reproduction trials in an indoor tank our outside in a pond?

Snipe #527706 11/17/20 09:52 PM
C
C
OK found the past post with the pictures. At the top of this old post was a new Michigan record HBG if I recall correctly (the news article called it a 'sunfish record') Scroll down (or probably at this link if it works) you will see nice examples of PS/BG hybrid that were very nice. I believe they were caught in the spring while on the beds in a lake about 60 miles south of Grand Rapids nearer to the Indiana border.

PS/BG hybrid pictures

Snipe #527707 11/17/20 10:09 PM
Kenny, I'm merely an 8 hour drive west of you. I'll be gassing up the truck as soon as you say, "Pumpkinseeds are ready".

What a great endeavor to pursue, this move to aquaculture. If anyone could be expected to succeed in this, I'd say it would be you.

B
B
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
OK found the past post with the pictures. At the top of this old post was a new Michigan record HBG if I recall correctly (the news article called it a 'sunfish record') Scroll down (or probably at this link if it works) you will see nice examples of PS/BG hybrid that were very nice. I believe they were caught in the spring while on the beds in a lake about 60 miles south of Grand Rapids nearer to the Indiana border.

PS/BG hybrid pictures
Thanks for the link, very good looking fish!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Snipe #527714 11/17/20 11:03 PM
J
J
Ken, I think this is great. I am thinking you have a good source of water from Ogallala which is a very good asset to have. I remain amazed at the amount of forage your pond has produced as evidenced by the growth of your fish. Everything you are thinking about has potential though I really favor the red shiner and those beautiful crayfish you've been growing.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/19/20 09:27 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

Snipe #527716 11/18/20 12:56 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, a great idea!! One thing to think and plan for is how to harvest, and how to hold the fish for sale. Also, what type of sales. Pick up only? delivery only? Ship fish only? Or a combo of any/all of those?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Snipe #527717 11/18/20 01:09 AM
S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the input guys..
Those familiar with the Ogallala aquifer know how water works with DWR and KS Dept of Ag. You don't get to pull water from the Ogallala for commercial use other than Crop farming. I'm lucky being that I'm in heavy irrigation use area but the closest farm use well is 2.1mi from my well, 2 miles or within is a No-Go for surface water.
The guys I've been working with at the state level are being very supportive of my wishes and are quite happy to help.
I'm excited to start this even if it is on a small scale, it opens the door to a more broad learning experience, but as mentioned above I want to focus on quality of a few species vs quantity of many.
The forage options are many and I'm weighing my decisions on available data and first-hand experience of a few folks along the way.
I'm torn by the complexities of some species and the ease of raising others, but if they are easy I see no need to fill a void that doesn't exist because blind luck works most of the time. That's not the niche I'm looking for.
I have to weigh things like spotfin, for example.. is the average guy going to build proper spawning structure for this species? Probably not, which reminds me canyoncreek, the fact you have provided a "treebark" type structure is the key to what you are seeing based on research I've done on this species. There is a fair amount of data that suggests high numbers of spotfin have been sampled in areas with large timber that still has the course bark in tact. I've found this in several locations where this species was present in the same locations commonly, even though they were not the target species of the sample efforts.
Red shiner: why if this fish is so common in so many areas, is it not more readily available? Is it desirable by predators? Why have so many bait shops quit handling them? What I've been able to dig up on this appears to be a problem with ID that "could" lead to an accidental introduction of other species that truly are invasive. I find Liability seems to be one of the issues and surprisingly the maximum size of Red shiner seems important, which is seldom over 2.75". I've found more data recently that shows red shiner are very well accepted and utilized by many predator fish but they do not provide feed for 8lb LMB. That's a problem I welcome. The reproductive rates of reds are quite attractive to me and they are known to prosper in less than ideal conditions. It's very obvious to me this species can fill a niche in the food chain and withstand high rates of predation, so they are a stepping stone for growing intermediate fish that will transition to larger prey at some point.
So, how do I choose YP, SMB or Pumpkins..??? I like to see hybrids, PSxRES or BG either, very cool but what about the effects of continual crossing turning into undesirable characteristics? F2-on and on.
I have been very quiet about an experiment that took place this last spring that proves you can mess with mother nature but she can throw you a wicked curve. This would be a good place to spill the beans.
This last April I fertilized walleye eggs with YP spermatozoa and incubated in my house. I'm not going to get too specific on the details but I was able to get several hundred to hatch. Upon realization they were hatching, I contacted the right people to take the fry in less than 2 days and care for them at the hatchery where the actual experts had a chance at making it work long enough to get some data. Last week there were 13 fish left and are all inside under observation. We know now that WAE and YP will not successfully cross and live but I'm guessing somewhere, somebody already knew this. Some took on mostly WAE characteristics, and the majority that looked more like YP were obvious mutants that were not going to survive. There is no evidence or data to prove this has ever been achieved to this level.
Moral of the story?? I'm not sure what that is, but genetically it can't work is what I'm told. So I don't know if I want to wash the genetics from a pure strain PS only to end up with something similar to BG that doesn't really go anywhere.
Which brings me to SMB. I know of 2 strains of SMB that exist and I'm sure there may be 3 or 4, but the 2 I have found data on are the northern strain, commonly called the Erie strain and the more popular Ozark strain. I have the Ozark strain, which is what Hartley fish farm sells. I wanted the northern strain because I have data from our SW hatchery that specializes in Black bass that tells me the northern strain obtain a larger size, quicker in the central US than the Ozark strain does. Always a catch 22 and that is the Ozark strain is shown to handle lower water quality better, enter the pond environment most commonly compared to the large clear O2 rich areas the Northern strain does best. Our Black bass expert in KS suggested I cross the 2. So here we go again, how long will those genetics hold out?
Ok, I've rambled too long, but thanks for listening to my thinking out loud, I am really excited to make this happen, just not sure what "this" is yet!

esshup #527718 11/18/20 01:20 AM
S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by esshup
Ken, a great idea!! One thing to think and plan for is how to harvest, and how to hold the fish for sale. Also, what type of sales. Pick up only? delivery only? Ship fish only? Or a combo of any/all of those?

This is something I have actually thought about, and I'm sure you have as well. I/we can't control what happens to those fish on the way home if someone picks them up. In the small market I'm playing in, I might be taking it too far but I believe there needs to be some QC through the entire process and that includes the introduction to the pond itself.
People are people and I know someone is always looking for an excuse as to why the fish didn't make the trip, I've been there myself but I was also able to recognize and identify the issue, so with that said, you bring a good point to the table.
I am putting up another building and will have holding tanks. Species type and number will be a factor in how I address that of course but inside tanks are planned for scheduled orders.
Design of ponds is definitely being considered for catch/harvest methods. I've been talking with some of our hatchery techs to get a good hold on design options/ideas.

1 member likes this: CityDad
Snipe #527719 11/18/20 05:30 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I like the KS idea of not pulling water for anything but farming or personal use. I wish Texas did it. Lots of rural wells around my area of North Texas have gone dry due to oil companies use for injection drilling. Some of those home wells have been used for many years for peoples ranch homes. Now they have to haul water for home use. Luckily my well is on a thin seam and shallow. When dug, it produced 1/10 gallon per minute but I pump onto a 2,500 gallon tank. It's probably improved since then but is what is considered a weak well. In Texas, there will never be a law that prohibits the oil companies from anything.

Good luck with your new venture.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Snipe #527725 11/18/20 08:18 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by Snipe
Thanks for the input guys..
Those familiar with the Ogallala aquifer know how water works with DWR and KS Dept of Ag. You don't get to pull water from the Ogallala for commercial use other than Crop farming. I'm lucky being that I'm in heavy irrigation use area but the closest farm use well is 2.1mi from my well, 2 miles or within is a No-Go for surface water.

I wasn't so familiar with the Ogalla to know it is this tightly controlled. I shouldn't be surprised but just thought you would have access.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/19/20 09:28 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

Snipe #527747 11/18/20 08:48 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
going into the fish business
I think by business that you plan to make money on the work involved venture (hobby). If that is the case, then you should determine the market demand and profit potential for whatever you decide to raise. You might be able to grow lots of crop but if you can't sell it for a profit then is it just anymore than a pastime hobby?. Pastime hobbies are good to have but often they do not qualify as a profitable business unless one loves what they are doing and any income from it is considered a success despite it being an overall money loss.

Building ponds even small forage ponds is fairly costly. Gaining that money back would require selling a significant amount of product / crop. Is the long term repeat sales market there,,,, for example similar to fish farms selling FHM? FHM sales is a huge repeat profitable business for most sport fish farms. Marketing sometimes is needed to convince pond owners of the need to have your product / crop instead of the "commonly available species". Why is your product better?? If you grow a specie/s that is/are not readily available and yet desirable and you make it available to a large area of the country then this becomes a better business model.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/18/20 08:53 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Snipe #527755 11/19/20 01:42 AM
S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Very much to the point Bill, and you are correct in that I have already accepted the input will be much greater than the return monetarily. It is very much a hobby, one I hope to continue. If I can fill a need while getting an education I would consider that a success. As for "long-term", that's a good question and one of the reasons the folks I work with at the state level are supporting me in this. By keeping that door open and working with them with proper permits, I may have the opportunity to obtain species not available in other situations, one being Saugeye. They stock these in fry form only but have a need for several hundred intermediates every year that logistically, doesn't work with hatchery space. Is this a target? It could be if my payment for growing out low numbers means I get a few hundred for payment. Not really my goal but something I've already discussed with them.
I can also tell by your comments that I need to give this more thought as to whether I should even try this. I guess we all measure success differently but the only down side I see is more hands-on.
Now I feel like I'm defending what I want to do..
Tomorrow I'm meeting with the engineering firm to try and get some help putting my desires on paper.

Snipe #527756 11/19/20 03:00 AM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I missed this! Let’s talk - been down this road I can identify my many challenges and the few things I got right. Happy to help.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Snipe #527760 11/19/20 07:46 AM
J
J
Very much to the point Bill, and you are correct in that I have already accepted the input will be much greater than the return monetarily. It is very much a hobby, one I hope to continue. If I can fill a need while getting an education I would consider that a success. As for "long-term", that's a good question and one of the reasons the folks I work with at the state level are supporting me in this. By keeping that door open and working with them with proper permits, I may have the opportunity to obtain species not available in other situations, one being Saugeye. They stock these in fry form only but have a need for several hundred intermediates every year that logistically, doesn't work with hatchery space. Is this a target?

Ken, I think you were to do this you would sell out every year. The demand for non-reproducing fish that are of advance fingerling size is good and the supply of saugeye is nihil. The challenges here is fish density and feeding them to an advanced fingerling size. If on natural foods, the limit for most predators is around 400 lbs/acre. But if feed trained the density can be much higher which is what most hatcheries do for raising advanced fingerlings.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/19/20 09:28 PM.

Snipe #527784 11/19/20 06:27 PM
A
A
Snipe, I suggest you breed a super aggressive musky that feeds preferentially on black feathered birds, if you know what I mean. Huge demand, every pond owner will want some!!!

Last edited by anthropic; 11/19/20 06:28 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images