Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#527409 11/08/20 11:59 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I've been away for work the last 6 months and I didn't get to work with my pond so now I have hydrilla growing to the surface even in the 12' deep water in my 1 acre pond. Water is as clear as a pool, hard to catch bass, only have rain run off does the water get a little dingy and I can catch them for a little while. I am in South Louisiana, still 80 degrees, and I will use chemicals to start killing off some of the hydrilla, too much habitat, fish are everywhere. Water is still 80 degrees, can I pour liquid fertilizer and expect an algae bloom this late in the year? Thank you in advance!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You won't get a bloom as long as you have the plants growing in there, the fertilizer will feed the plants.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: LaBassmaster
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agree with esshup. Nuke the plants but do it by area. The dying plants will cause O2 depletion. So, do about 20% of the pond at a time. The fish can go to the other areas.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
OP Offline
L
What is the best herbicide to kill hydrilla? Sonar, Weedtrine-D, or something else? I've been reading and thinking about killing the hydrilla in areas, my entire 1 acre pond is covered in hydrilla, fish everywhere, just hard to catch, they have too much cover to live in. I don't understand how I can control my area of coverage if I use a liquid herbicide, it seems easier to use a granualar one like Cutrine Plus? Thank you!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cutrine Plus is not a herbicide, it's an algaecide.

Are you 100% sure on the ID of the plant?

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/hydrilla/

If you are 100% sure on the ID:

If I was treating the pond for a customer I would use a mixture of Cutrine Plus and Galleon, making sure I applied it according to the label. READ AND FOLLOW THE LABEL DIRECTIONS Don't forget to check the alkalinity of the pond to adjust the amount of Cutrine Plus and don't forget to use an approves surfactant with the Galleon. I would treat it by subsurface injection.

Last edited by esshup; 11/13/20 06:22 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
OP Offline
L
For sure, it is hydrilla. I will measure the alkalinity of the water before I treat it, thank you for that tip. I don't want to kill all of the hydrilla but it has become a nusiance to fish it. I intend to do sections at a time, allowing a week between treatments to assure I don't deplete the oxygen and kill the fish.

Lunker
Lunker
Attempting to treat sections of a 1-acre pond is akin to letting one rip on one side of the bed and expecting the odor to remain on that side. According to my spouse, it doesn't!! ha!
Seriously, confining the impact of any herbicide based on its placement within a dynamic (constantly transitioning) environment is highly unlikely - even with granular products. Once an active ingredient is applied (whether using a granular or liquid "carrier" to distribute the active), it become mobile within the water-column and is likely to move or diffuse into untreated adjacent areas; although dilution-factors may reduce or impede its activity in said adjacent areas. Regardless, the degree of impact outside of the treated/targeted area will likely be out of one's control - and completely dependent upon several environmental factors that are present.
If you're attempting to selectively take out hydrilla while leaving other plant species intact, you'll need a much more refined tactic - and select an appropriate product. If that's not the case, you can initiate your whole-pond treatment earlier in the season (early spring), before the hydrilla's biomass has grown too large - and while water-temps are still relatively low - and still conduct an aggressive treatment that poses relatively little risk of causing a DO-crash.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Listen to what Kelly has to say. He's been in the weed treatment biz for over 30 years.

Kelly, good to see you again!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images